RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 06:27 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

All future posters on this subject: please state whether you are discussing front or rear; there are differences that can be significant.
Old 09-17-12, 12:54 PM
jolomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finished the right rear door this morning. So much easier than the right front. Order 2 more motors but so far the left side doors are working.
Old 09-22-12, 09:27 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Not an easy job, but the next one would be easier. I mangled the plastic case pretty good as it didn't want to come apart. But it didn't seem to matter.
Old 09-23-12, 09:50 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by saudiboy
Not an easy job, but the next one would be easier. I mangled the plastic case pretty good as it didn't want to come apart. But it didn't seem to matter.
I tried utility knife, exacto knife and finally a dremmel tool with cutting/sanding disc.

Keep in mind, things inside the door are not sealed. If the shell is butchered, you may run into long term problems.

Salim
Old 09-23-12, 10:44 AM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

)
Originally Posted by salimshah
I tried utility knife, exacto knife and finally a dremmel tool with cutting/sanding disc.

Keep in mind, things inside the door are not sealed. If the shell is butchered, you may run into long term problems.

Salim
Understood. I'll do better the next time. I think I got a pretty tight fit screwing it back together (most of the damage to the case seemed to be on the outer edges). Maybe I'll get some water penetration in the future; we'll see. I'm in CA so maybe a bit less of a concern.

I have to say though, that after living with a broken actuator for over six years, props to the OP. He made the impossible for me, possible. Although I'm a little bit concerned that it may lead me to try a bit more, the sense of satisfaction in being able to fix this thing (to say nothing of the nominal cost, other than my time - which I chalk up to an education) is pretty remarkable.
Old 09-23-12, 12:43 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I too had difficulty in splitting the case, even with a new blade. Eventually, after scoring the split, I took a sharp chisel and carefully chiselled it open. Worked like a champ, and did no damage.
Old 09-24-12, 02:03 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really surprised at the problem that some are having with separating the case. I did 4 of them (separated) and had very little trouble with a standard blade (don't remember the name for the double ended blade that is often retractable ). I had a little bit of deviation from the electrowelded joint but used Super glue to reattach the halves and they sealed just fine. That was in May, '06 and there has been no problem since.
Old 09-24-12, 03:38 AM
dnelli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
I'm really surprised at the problem that some are having with separating the case. I did 4 of them (separated) and had very little trouble with a standard blade (don't remember the name for the double ended blade that is often retractable ). I had a little bit of deviation from the electrowelded joint but used Super glue to reattach the halves and they sealed just fine. That was in May, '06 and there has been no problem since.
You're lucky!
Old 10-01-12, 07:07 PM
dawgs
Driver School Candidate

Default another issue...

great info, thanks all. took me 3 hours to replace drivers side door. The razor blade work took longest, also reaching up into get clips undone was a challenge. Got my daughter with small hands to help. Thought I was successful.

I have a new problem now. The wireless fob does not open driver side door that I just replaced the actuator on. The other three locks open and close wirelessly.

However, if the key is in the ignition, the lock actuator button on the door will open and close all 4 locks. But if the key is NOT in the ignition, the lock/unlock switch on the drivers side door does nothing.

Also (I think this is related), my auto light switch did not turn off my lights this morning.

I searched earlier today and found a reference to a TSB that was released concerning the door ECU that also affects the headlights.... but now I can't find it again.

any help?
Old 10-01-12, 09:34 PM
salimshah

Some times strange electrical/electronic behavior can be corrected by disconnecting the battery for about 20 mins. You will loose all settings.

Salim
Old 10-08-12, 06:09 AM
dnelli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Some times strange electrical/electronic behavior can be corrected by disconnecting the battery for about 20 mins. You will loose all settings.

Salim
That is definitely a good place to start..
Old 11-16-12, 06:23 PM
Mansur
Driver School Candidate

Default Tailgate lock motor

Dear friends,
My tail door actuator became weak and not reliable, so I took it out and wanted to change the motor. And I discovered that it's motor stem is thicker than the other 4 doors and it's completely different.
So please could any gentleman help me in, how to find motor of that size or give some information about it like it"s number or so.
Thanks
Mansur

By the way my car 2001 RX300

Last edited by salimshah; 11-16-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-16-12, 07:59 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Mansur
Dear friends,
My tail door actuator became weak and not reliable, so I took it out and wanted to change the motor. And I discovered that it's motor stem is thicker than the other 4 doors and it's completely different.
So please could any gentleman help me in, how to find motor of that size or give some information about it like it"s number or so.
Thanks
Mansur

By the way my car 2001 RX300
I merged your posts ... You can always edit your post to add on or even retract part or all.

Q: Did you find any markings on the motor? Did you take measurement? I have not come across a post that talks about rear hatch lock motor.

Salim
Old 11-19-12, 12:17 AM
Mansur
Driver School Candidate

Dear Salim,
Thank you for your concern. The truth is that I didn't do any of the above, because I thought I will find the answer with you and other friends. I have seen advertizement about universal actuator, I wonder if did and whether it's applicable to Lexus? I think that I have to get that motor out again to check and measure.
Thanks again
Old 11-19-12, 12:38 AM
Mansur
Driver School Candidate

This is how it looks ( it's totally different from the other doors).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-RX300-...fe1232&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up