RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 09:56 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Australian
Strange thing has happened to me in last 2 weeks.
2 weeks ago i noticed a rear door didn't lock so i manually did it for a week figured i would read up later.
Then noticed this week front passenger lock wasn't opening or locking. And the auto door locks were continually trying to lock it whilst driving so i manually locked it. It stayed locked when using central locking.
Then today when unlocking car i had to do it manually as now the drivers door also doesn't unlock with the central locking remote. It beeps fine and can hear it trying to do unlock but nothing happens.

I just cant even comprehend how in a space of a week all the door locks decide to play up. We have had a few stinking hot days 100+ degrees Fahrenheit 30+ Celsius and now rain with lots of humidity sio having to drive home each night with lights on wipers going and radio is pumping blowing air con to stop the fog.
Just wondering do i start to panic yet or wait till cooler dryer weather? Three 3 locks is really odd. Also noticed clock is out 45 mins out and wondering if battery is now on the way out almost. guess i better test that first.
Yes make sure your battery is nice and strong. Electronics does not like low voltage.

Battery and Clock... we have seen that when the battery voltage falls below a threshold, the clock resets to 12 midnight. This happens when the battery is under most load (starting). With the beat of the clock maintained by crystal, it does not slow-down. 45mins out of right time has more to do when the clock got reset.

Also try removing battery terminal for about 15 min to clear out any gremlins in the locking system.

Salim
Old 03-02-12, 06:35 PM
gamik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dnelli
I also needed to repair my drivers side rear door actuator. Note the following differences:

1.) The wooden window switch panel will pop straight up unlike the front door wooden panel. Just pry upwards towards the front and rear of the panel. There is a screw under this wooden panel.
2.) There is a hidden screw under a piece of plastic that forms with the inner handle/armrest that needs to be popped out to get to the screw.
3.) After replacing the mini motor as described in the previous thread steps, [B]ENSURE that the saddle of the door handle engages with the pin that opens the door on th eactuator/lock mechanism. I did not initially do this and almost ***** in my pants. Luckly, I closed the door with the inner door panel off. So I was able to look inside with a mirror to figure out how to open it.

THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THIS POST IT WAS AWESOME !
Dnelli,
I am also doing a rear driver side actuator motor change on a 02 rx300. How did you remove the actuator from the door. I cant seem to slide it behind the window track. I have removed the bolts on the window track and have removed the 4 torx screws but the actuator is too wide to slide behind it. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-12, 04:33 AM
gamik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gamik
Dnelli,
I am also doing a rear driver side actuator motor change on a 02 rx300. How did you remove the actuator from the door. I cant seem to slide it behind the window track. I have removed the bolts on the window track and have removed the 4 torx screws but the actuator is too wide to slide behind it. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Actually - I got it - I was trying to get it from the back of the window frame but it comes from the front. Thanks to everyone on this forum. Its been really helpful
Old 03-03-12, 10:43 AM
salimshah

IMPORTANT SAFETY DIY tips:

1. Remember to disconnect battery. The front door lock mechanism has a position where the windows will roll-down or up on you.

2. Once the work is complete, do not re-attach the door panel and test the system out for couple of days. If something is messed up and the door panel is attached, you will have to destroy the door panel to get to it.

3. Exercise patience in removing and attaching rod-clips. Not very intuitive for novices.

4. There is limited access and only one way to get things in and out. Remember the disassembly process or better still write it down.

Salim
Old 03-13-12, 04:32 AM
yngwie5290
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I've read over this a few times and watched the video. Great writeup!

I'm almost ready to do this, just waiting on the parts. BTW, I bought 2 motors for $10, and the puller was $21 after delivery (that's about what they go for these days). Both from eBay.

Last week, I took off the panel (and put back on), just to see what I'm dealing with and get comfortable. i.e. no surprises

The only thing I think I don't understand is this:

Step 12: "Remove the bolts holding the door lock handle to the door frame."

Maybe it's obvious, but how is this done. Do I have to reach up into the corner with a ratchet?

I don't see holes in the frame for doing this, like in the video.

And...is this just necessary for reattaching the actuator rods? i.e. it's impossible/difficult without removing the handle?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-12, 09:28 AM
salimshah

Once the panel is off, you can see the bolts holding the door handle (for fronts it has the key lock assembly too) [door handle is the outside door release].

Is it necessary? It depends upon how you can work with the rods with one end fixed or both ends free. I do remember asking my wife to help get one of the bolts/nuts started during assembly.

Salim
Old 03-13-12, 11:04 AM
yngwie5290
Driver School Candidate

Salim, thanks for the response.

So, it sounds like it's just easier to re-attach the rods with that piece (handle/lock assembly) being unbolted (like in the video)....and working from the outside of the car to reattach the rods. (hope that makes sense)

I totally understand the piece we're talking about, I just don't see the bolts to detach it. Do you have to loosen them from inside of the panel?

For example, I don't see them in this pic (or how to access):

Name:  lexus004.jpg
Views: 2831
Size:  37.2 KB

Not sure I see them from the inside either:

Name:  lexus009.jpg
Views: 3004
Size:  28.0 KB

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-13-12, 11:46 AM
salimshah

2nd picture shows the head of the bolt, Right of the pink clip and at the bottom of the assembly.

The top one (2nd) is to the right (as viewed in the picture) of the handle.

The access is through the hole ... you stuck your camera in there.

You are over thinking it. It will be intuitive and believe me identifying the bolts is the least of the problem.

Salim
Old 03-13-12, 12:10 PM
yngwie5290
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I probably am overthinking it.

Old 03-14-12, 03:12 AM
2002RX300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yngwie5290
Yeah, I probably am overthinking it.

Step 12, I'm referring to the "cables" not "rods" of the "inner" door handle/lock. There are (2) bolts on each side of the handle you have to remove. Step 14 shows the cables still attached to the handle and lock actuator. No need to loosen the outer door handle to detach the rods from the plastic clips.
Old 03-14-12, 03:40 AM
yngwie5290
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2002RX300
Step 12, I'm referring to the "cables" not "rods" of the "inner" door handle/lock. There are (2) bolts on each side of the handle you have to remove. Step 14 shows the cables still attached to the handle and lock actuator. No need to loosen the outer door handle to detach the rods from the plastic clips.
Okay, thank you! That helps.

You know, originally, I had no intention of detaching that outer handle after reading your instructions. But that video (on page 2?) got me thinking maybe it was necessary (because that guy does take his off...of course, he had 3 holes on the inside of the frame to access the bolts...different car). So then I was thinking "that sure is a tricky step to be glossed over like that".

So, I'll just leave it on. Hopefully reattaching the rods isn't so bad.

Anyway, thanks again.

Last edited by yngwie5290; 03-15-12 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-16-12, 09:56 PM
Transforma
Driver School Candidate

I just did driver front and driver rear... took me the whole afternoon because I took my time.

FYI: for the driver rear, you can take it out from the back window frame. The window "bar" is in the way but I still managed to take out the actuator. Make sure you take your time and be patient.
Old 03-18-12, 09:34 AM
yngwie5290
Driver School Candidate

Okay, just finished with the driver's door of a 2001. So far so good!

Took me about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Panel was off in 5 minutes (but I'd removed it last weekend, so I knew exactly what to do).

Getting the actuator rod out of the white clip was easy, thanks to someone else's tip. But for some reason, getting the one out of the red clip was a pain. Finally, it popped out. Didn't bother trying to remove the outside handle. But it is a little difficult working in that tight space, especially if you have big hands.

Actuator case was open at about 1.5 hours in.

Getting the actuator case open was the biggest challenge. I tried an exacto knife for a while, but it was taking forever. Was also worried about the blade slipping and cutting myself. Finally, I decided to use the Dremel with the thin disk. That worked. It did remove some material (kinda left a small channel at the seam), but not enough to affect the 2 pieces fitting together.

Didn't glue the pieces back together, because of that small channel. It seemed like there was a little gap, and I didn't want super glue seeping inside of the case and messing something up. The 2 screws should be able to hold it back together well enough (I hope).

Putting the actuator back in was a little bit of a pain, because of that swinging window arm getting in the way. The actuator has 4 torx screws holding it in (3 on the end, and 1 on the side). I recommend putting the 1 back in before re-attaching the rods, so that it will support the weight of the actuator while you connect them.

All in all, it went pretty smoothly.
Old 04-01-12, 02:34 PM
andres-eh2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the great info. Got this done yesterday on my RX300 Right Rear door. Worked perfectly.
Old 04-06-12, 02:34 PM
mrx330
Driver School Candidate

Default Fix worked but now manual switch and key not working.

Hi - I followed the actuator fix DIY (on RX300) and the my key remote and the unlock / lock button work wonderfully.
But, I am unable to lock / unlock the fixed door when MANUALLY using the key or the lock switch next to the open door handle.

Has anyone run into this problem? Any solutions?

Quick Reply: RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up