RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 10:15 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesRX
I tried this on my front passenger door and now it stuck locked!!! any help? It seems to want to work but its like there's not enough slack to move the lock all the way open?
Disassemble again and see if what is causing the things to stick.

Salim
Old 01-12-16, 01:11 PM
JoesRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it open... Got Lucky... Seems like it stuck halfway between the unlock and lock position... It was dark when I was putting it all back together so maybe the cable just got hung up on something enough to cause this issue... Ill pull it off this weekend to see what's going on... Should have stopped on the rear door when the sun was going down I guess...
Old 01-12-16, 01:55 PM
JoesRX
Driver School Candidate

Default what did you do to open it once you got the panel off?

Originally Posted by gbarber14
Thanks salimshah. It turns out the issue with the door wasn't the cables but a combination of 1) the child lock was "on" so the inside door handle wouldn't work even though functioning correctly and 2) the outside door handle was not connected to the mechanism (which includes the lock actuator).

I was able to remove the rear door panel with the door closed by sacrificing the pop pins, removing some plastic parts around the door and removing the back seat. I would not recommend spending your Sunday doing this however.

Also, remember the back doors have a screw at the back that must come off.

The front door instructions are very good, but remember to reattach this "U" shaped plastic part to your outside door handle, or you may find yourself in the unenviable position of having a closed door and no way of opening it.

Thanks all for adding your thoughts and experience to this post. It's saved me about $1,100 so far.

What did you do to open it after you got the panel off? I did the same thing but I did not install the panel before I closed the door... I believe the child safety lock is on and I wasn't aware of the plastic piece you took the picture of... thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-13-16, 05:13 AM
JHagan88
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, looking for some help. I used this guide to fix my actuator motor last year on my front passenger door, and everything worked great. Yesterday I did my back-left door and I am having a strange problem. The lock/unlock seems to be reversed. When I used my master switch to unlock all the doors, that one door locks. When I lock all doors, that one door unlocks.

I took the actuator apart multiple times checking everything, and everything is properly assembled. I have no idea what it could be. Is there a different motor that is used for the RL door actuator?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-13-16, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by JHagan88
Hey guys, looking for some help. I used this guide to fix my actuator motor last year on my front passenger door, and everything worked great. Yesterday I did my back-left door and I am having a strange problem. The lock/unlock seems to be reversed. When I used my master switch to unlock all the doors, that one door locks. When I lock all doors, that one door unlocks.

I took the actuator apart multiple times checking everything, and everything is properly assembled. I have no idea what it could be. Is there a different motor that is used for the RL door actuator?

Thank you in advance.
I suggested this to another member, but there was no confirmation at the end. If you try it out, promise you will come back and list the results here (pass or fail).

Lock the vehicle ... (the offending door will be unlocked .. per your post.
Open the panel (If not already open) disconnect the connector going to the lock motor.
Operate the lock only ONCE to unlock the vehicle.
Reconnect the connector.
Check if everything is in sync.

Salim
Old 05-13-16, 09:23 AM
JHagan88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I suggested this to another member, but there was no confirmation at the end. If you try it out, promise you will come back and list the results here (pass or fail).

Lock the vehicle ... (the offending door will be unlocked .. per your post.
Open the panel (If not already open) disconnect the connector going to the lock motor.
Operate the lock only ONCE to unlock the vehicle.
Reconnect the connector.
Check if everything is in sync.

Salim
Unfortunately this didn't work. I also disconnected the battery to reset the ECU because I honestly couldn't think of anything else. That didn't work either.

I thought of reversing the wires, or even taking the cap off the motor and flip it around to reverse the contacts. I have a feeling I was given the wrong motor, so I bought two more from a different seller. Will update the situation when I get the new motors in. Thank you for your suggestion!
Old 05-13-16, 10:07 AM
salimshah

Nothing to do with ECU.

It is the rotation of the motor and the current position of the contact in the actuator. I agree with you that it is the magnet of the motor or the winding polarity.

[dc motors spin direction depends upon the magnetic field of the magnets ,,, these magnets are part of the the fixed part (external). and the polarity of the wires leading in (windings). Since modifying the wiring inside the motor to the terminals of the motor is not possible, you have to swap the wires outside of the motor or flip the actual magnets. [The agents have a N and S side. Make sure you flip both .. so mark them before you remove them].

Note: I am not sure if in the motor you have, you can flip the magnets.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-14-16 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-14-16, 07:36 PM
rzuniga1
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem but was because I purchased the wrong motors I quoted this in April 2015:

The motors I purchased are spinning in the other direction. I found the motors using RX300 and year but didn't specify the type of motor mentioned at the beginning of this thread: Mabuchi FC280PC-22125. I received and installed FC280SC-20150. After applying 12 V to the original I verified that they spin in opposite directions so the actuator locks when the car signals unlock, and also unlocks when the car signals lock. I just ordered the correct ones and I will receive them in three days. Now I have expertise removing the actuator and I can do it relatively fast. will reply in one week with the results, and check the model of the electric motor you installed.
Just check the motors type, I ordered the correct ones ($8.00 or 9.00 in 2015) and everything worked fine. Hope it helps
Old 06-08-16, 06:24 PM
yaquith
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for all the information on this post. Its worth in weight in gold...Question: After I replaced two actuator motors in the rear doors of my wife's Lexus RX 300, I noticed a little problem....when I cycled thru the lock/unlock sequence using the Driver Door, both the replaced actuator locking mechanism were locking and unlocking out of sequence from the front door locks. I wonder if the replacement actuator motors are out of phase? The car battery drained quickly indicating something electrically oriented was happening. Any thoughts about how I may have messes up?
Old 06-08-16, 08:06 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by yaquith
Thanks everyone for all the information on this post. Its worth in weight in gold...Question: After I replaced two actuator motors in the rear doors of my wife's Lexus RX 300, I noticed a little problem....when I cycled thru the lock/unlock sequence using the Driver Door, both the replaced actuator locking mechanism were locking and unlocking out of sequence from the front door locks. I wonder if the replacement actuator motors are out of phase? The car battery drained quickly indicating something electrically oriented was happening. Any thoughts about how I may have messes up?
Welcome to CL

You may have the wrong motor. Check part number you ordered.

Salim
Old 06-30-16, 08:45 AM
pcwenzel
8th Gear

Default Key fob not working after replacing actuators

Great informative posts - helped me with replacing the actuators in the two front doors of my 2003 Lexus RX300. The existing actuators were impossible to crack open, so I bought replacement actuators off of ebay.

Now I have a different problem - I'm hoping someone can suggest a solution to fix it.

After replacing the two actuators, things seemed fine from the inside. Using the power lock switch on the door, I could lock and unlock all four doors. It was cool to see the front door locks work again. However, when I tried the key fob, the locks didn't respond. Thought it might be battery, so I checked my other key - didn't work either.

I found a post on diagnosing the key fob programming, where a combination of turning the ignition off/on and open/close driver door puts the car into the diag mode. I verified that the car does recognize the fob and is receiving the signals when I pressed the buttons. (In the diag mode, the car would beep a certain pattern for each button.)

So, I know my key fobs work, that the car is receiving the signals from the fob, but the car doesn't beep or turn the locks when try to lock or unlock the car.

Any ideas on what the problem is? Oh, by the way, before I replaced the actuators, the key fob worked fine with the car - just wouldn't open the front doors.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-16, 07:37 PM
gkfung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rzuniga1
I had the same problem but was because I purchased the wrong motors I quoted this in April 2015:

The motors I purchased are spinning in the other direction. I found the motors using RX300 and year but didn't specify the type of motor mentioned at the beginning of this thread: Mabuchi FC280PC-22125. I received and installed FC280SC-20150. After applying 12 V to the original I verified that they spin in opposite directions so the actuator locks when the car signals unlock, and also unlocks when the car signals lock. I just ordered the correct ones and I will receive them in three days. Now I have expertise removing the actuator and I can do it relatively fast. will reply in one week with the results, and check the model of the electric motor you installed.
Just check the motors type, I ordered the correct ones ($8.00 or 9.00 in 2015) and everything worked fine. Hope it helps

I just replaced the motors, it locks when it supposed to be unlock and unlock when it should be locked. I don't know if I got the wrong motor or not. . So the correct one should be Mabuchi FC280PC-22125, right? can you tell me where you order yours? I just wasted a whole day.

Thanks.

Old 07-23-16, 10:30 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by gkfung
I just replaced the motors, it locks when it supposed to be unlock and unlock when it should be locked. I don't know if I got the wrong motor or not. . So the correct one should be Mabuchi FC280PC-22125, right? can you tell me where you order yours? I just wasted a whole day.

Thanks.
hmm, you are quoting some one who is explicitly telling you which motor to use and which not to use. The one you ordered, you yourself proved that is the wrong one. So which one did you order?

Salim
Old 07-24-16, 01:14 AM
abw335i
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

Spent a lot of time doing this repair on the driver's door and read this entire thread multiple times...I am having the same issue regarding reverse locking and unlocking. When using the driver's door control, if I lock, all other 3 doors lock and the driver's door unlock. If I unlock, the driver's door would lock and the other 3 would unlock. Manually unlocking the driver's door also seems very resistant.

This is the motor I purchased on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160650309370?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Pretty sure its the correct motor. It's the Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 model , which is the motor specified in this thread.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Regards.
Old 07-24-16, 05:52 AM
gkfung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by abw335i
Hi All,

Spent a lot of time doing this repair on the driver's door and read this entire thread multiple times...I am having the same issue regarding reverse locking and unlocking. When using the driver's door control, if I lock, all other 3 doors lock and the driver's door unlock. If I unlock, the driver's door would lock and the other 3 would unlock. Manually unlocking the driver's door also seems very resistant.

This is the motor I purchased on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160650309370?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Pretty sure its the correct motor. It's the Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 model , which is the motor specified in this thread.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Regards.
I finally verified that the new replacement motor I got is spinning in different direction, that is why it reacts oppositely to the others. You have to make sure the new motor you put in does spin in the same direction of the original one. I have the RX300 2001. I just replaced the front driver side motor, and it just reacts oppositely, so I took it out again, check the spinning direction, indeed it is spinning in the different direction from the original one. So I ordered 2 more from other vendor in Ebay, and hope they works. In the mean time, I clean the old motor, and seems it still work when I test it, so I put the old one back and wait for the new one to come. The old one seems work better before cleaning, after I clean it with WD40. It seems is working fine. Wondering how long it will last. I learn to make sure to check the spinning direction of the motor before I stall it. I wasted the whole weekend for just this stupid motor. Waiting for the 2 new one to come, and will see.And hope the old one I have put back will last, and so I do not have to replace it. .

Quick Reply: RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up