RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HID Headlight Assembly nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 08:50 PM
synergymik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlight Assembly nightmare...

HI all -- newbie to the forums, I hope I am posting with the correct protocol.

I have a 2001 RX300 purchased with "upgraded" HID headlamps. I've personally never noticed a huge advantage (mostly because I've been driving it so long I can barely remember what it was like beforehand) but I'm definitely noticing something now.

A short time ago my passenger-side headlight assembly plastic was cracked due to an impact with our kids' basketball hoop that fell during a heavy storm. It wasn't an urgent fix (the bulbs still worked fine) but it will not pass state inspection and I'm now at the point where it must be fixed.

Ignorantly, I went online through a national auto parts chain and purchased what I thought would be the right aftermarket part since I have a friend who is a mechanic. However, it appears I bought a non-HID assembly. It looked identical from the front (the lights and casing looked the same as the one currently installed), however the back does not appear to be compatible to the existing part and it cannot be installed (not to mention that even if it could be installed I can't be driving with one HID assembly and one non-HID assembly).

Going online to find an HID assembly (knowing it will cost more than the $100 or so that the non-HID assembly cost) has proven to be fruitless -- I cannot find the part nor any information on how to go about doing this. I am reasonably sure that going to the dealership will end up costing $1-2,000 to replace an assembly that is only broken due to cracked pastics, I've got to think there's a better way. I would be very appreciative to anyone who has experienced replacement of a light assembly or has any ideas on what I should do that could shed some light on this for me.

Thank you in advance!

Mike
Old 07-14-11, 09:39 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

How about this on e

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12000...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-15-11, 03:35 PM
synergymik
Driver School Candidate

Default Halo?

Thanks for this -- are halo lights the same as regular HID light assemblies that the 2001 Lexus RX300 would have come preinstalled with? I had someone at Advance Auto look at my car (they're hardly experts though) and indicated that Halo lights would not work (certainly not 1 Halo light given that we're not replacing the other one), but I don't understand the difference....

Mike
Old 10-18-13, 11:24 AM
bobkattkg
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on HIDs for 2001 Lexus RX300

I know this tread is old but I'd like to update it based on my exhaustive research since I had the same problem. The ccfl kits are NOT for the headlight assembly WITH HID. They are for the headlight assembly WITHOUT HID and they increase the headlight power.

The headlight assembly WITHOUT HID have two pin connectors and they are very inexpensive. I purchased a set for about $100. Then found out I have the HIDs. The HIDs have 2 pin, 4 pin, and 5 pin connectors and are VERY EXPENSIVE,

I shopped autopartshouse.com ($1,015), lexuspartsonline.net ($1,052), partsgeek.com ($921), and carparts.com ($660). These prices are for ONE complete assembly including bulbs. There are numerous other sites but their prices are even higher. Lexuspartsonline.net and lexus.dealerdirectparts.com were the only sites that offered JUST the lens and housing for $420 and $436 respectively.

For very good installation instructions, click on the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Without...DateDescending

And, yes, step 3 is a shocker!

Hope this helps someone. Good luck!