RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1750 miles into the marriage

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 12:50 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1750 miles into the marriage

Alright, I admit it...I marry every car I buy. I typically research the car, know what I am looking for and then make the compromises necessary to finally pull the trigger. There are always a few concerns that shake out yea or nay early in the relationship but I have generally had long and successful marriages using this strategy. A few have ended in a nasty divorce... 3 Saabs and a Jetta. Never again.

So I bought an RX 300 for my daughter. We own an RX 400h so I knew this forum and used it pre-purchase. I went into this purchase with my eyes wide open. Engine sludging issues: Typically associated with long OCIs and petroleum based oils. More frightening is the premature transmission failures: Seemingly more common with the AWD, associated with infrequent service (although the dipstick says "No service necessary") but still occurring at low miles with very reasonable maintenance. Kind of scary. But most people love their RX 300. So after about a month and looking at a few I found this one on Craigslist.

2001 RX 300, 135500 miles, 2nd owner, mostly highway miles. The pictures look great. Call him and he says he changes his own oil and it doesn’t use any. Also, reports no known issues. Price is right so off we go. We get there and at first glance it looks fantastic from the outside. Always garaged, driven 35 turnpike miles each way to a parking garage. Only paint mars are stone chips on the hood. (BTW, these cars have a fantastic finish!) Not a speck of rust. Never been hit. The interior is equally stunning, leather like new, and every button works. I’m there!

I look under the car and it is dry as a bone. Open the hood and the engine compartment is reasonably clean. I pull out the dipstick…horrors…the oil is a half a quart below the add line. It was quite dark but flowed OK. Bummer! I showed the owner the dipstick and he was surprised the oil was low and claimed he had never added make-up oil. I believe him as you first have to check the oil to know you need some! Further questioning reveals that it was bought as a CPO at 68K miles and never saw the dealer again. His OCI was between 6-8K and he used the Walmart brand “fully synthetic”. There was about 7000 miles on this oil change. I pulled out the transmission dipstick and the fluid was brown. Level OK. No burnt or foul smell but not what I wanted to find. Obviously the transmission and timing belt were not touched under his watch. So I’m thinking this is a no-go, but came all this way and I’ve got to drive it. Starts right up, and drives great! Lots of power, a little sliding from 1st to 2nd, but quite solid. Rides like a 50K mile car. If I hadn’t looked under the hood and subscribed to this forum I would have written him a check without hesitation. He says make him an offer and after adding a quart of oil I drive it home for $6500.

I immediately change the oil and filter at 135, 500 with PNZ Ultra and a Baldwin B 243. I had the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, PCV valve and drive belts replaced. I research sludging and decide on Auto-RX. At 136, 250 I change the oil with Castrol GTX and add Auto-RX. I also did a transmission service with a pan drop, filter change and an 8 quart fluid exchange as prescribed by TunedRX300 in his sticky and added Auto-RX to it as well. Of note was that the filter was not stock. Somebody had been there before. That is probably a good sign.

I am now 1000 miles into this intervention. The oil is a beautiful light amber and has dropped at most 1 mm from full. Auto-RX recommends changing out the filter at 1250 miles into the 2500 mile treatment phase but I can see no good reason to waste a filter. The transmission fluid is dirty but still obviously red. The shifting performance is very similar to when we bought it. Still quirky but solid and not seeming like failure is imminent. It does not like to downshift out of O.D. My daughter drove a manual before the RX and just manually overrides in the situations where she wants to be in 3rd. All seems well.

My plans are to finish the Auto-RX treatment and do a petroleum oil flush as prescribed, but unless I see any evidence that this engine has sludging I will go straight to PNZ Ultra 5w-30 instead of a second treatment. It is likely that the high percentage of highway miles, synthetic oil, and a strong constitution may have saved this engine. I also plan to do another transmission service ala TunedRX300, use Amsoil Synthetic as the transmission fluid and pray.

I think this is a fantastic vehicle. One of the best I have ever owned. My wife thinks it drives nicer than her RX400h. I recently talked to an individual who has spent 40 years in the used automobile business in Manheim PA and he says he handled 100’s of the first generation RX and they were the best car he has ever sold! High praise. This marriage has gotten off to a great start.

Last edited by Iluvlexus; 07-03-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 03:14 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on your new concubine! May she serve you well and faithfully. My 300 was indeed the best car I've ever owned and had it not been totaled I would be driving it today.

I would watch that trans closely, it really isn't normal for it to slip or fail to downshift. Another fluid change sooner rather than later might be in order. And I would ask the experts advice about moving to synthetic at this point.

I enjoyed your post but many wouldn't take the time to read a "novel" like that so ask the trans question in a new post. I would like to hear what they think about the syn myself.
Old 07-03-11, 05:32 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Sorry about your RX300. And thanks about the asking for further advice. As to the transmission's quirkiness, I am not entirely comfortable with it's performance and plan that 2nd service sooner rather than later. I am also planning for the inevitable rebuild as this car has lots of miles left!

Have a great holiday
Old 07-04-11, 03:16 PM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iluvlexus,

I think you made a very good purchase pricewise. My daughter's 2001 just got totaled by the insurance company for hail damage. The payout before deductions was close to $12,000. I've already gotten that call, "Daddy I'm okay but the engine runs and the car doesn't go". If you get it, and I am betting you will at some point, just say "That's okay honey - we'll get it fixed!"

Hope you don't, but even if you have to add the $3,700 I did for a rebuild transmission with warranty the car still drives fantastic. I drive it every chance I get. The brakes are magic.
Russ
Old 07-04-11, 06:30 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply Russ. I am already interviewing the transmission shops. This is a vehicle that will be fun to drive for a long time!
Old 07-06-11, 10:20 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

man makes me miss my RX! I had to go to home depot in the is250 the other day...other than my car looking lowered it sucked!

On a lighter note this is post #1000 for me and I thought I would post where it all started for me on CL.

Oh an 99rx if your on here hows about Aug 12th weekend (sat is the 13 and sun is the 14) for another detail? Ill drop you a text either way!

Best of luck with the RX iluvelexus its a great car and amazingly there is alot of things you can do with the car I always recommend the RX330 18 inch wheels, its a great upgrade/update.
Old 07-07-11, 06:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I do NOT recommend your daughter playing around with the overdrive down shifting (manually) good way to kick off problems. You need to find out why the trans.is not downshifting properly from OD. Maybe an easy fix.
Old 07-07-11, 06:45 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
Sorry about your RX300. And thanks about the asking for further advice. As to the transmission's quirkiness, I am not entirely comfortable with it's performance and plan that 2nd service sooner rather than later. I am also planning for the inevitable rebuild as this car has lots of miles left!

Have a great holiday

Wolf`s Head universal automatic trans. fluid made the first to second shift in my 01 AWD RX A whole lot better. I tried the Amsoil in it and it was worse. The Mobil-1 fluid came in a close second for a better shift as well. Good luck home boy!