RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help asap. Rx300 making weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 09:10 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Arrow Can somebody please help me on my situation??

Ok i decide to drive my rx300 a few days ago but out of no where it negelcted to start the key turned all power came on what it wouldnt turn the car on so it could be driven. but mind you the previous day i drove it out of my garage so i could wash it and put it right back in and there was no problems what so ever.

so i had to get it towed to my family mechanic and they ran electrical test and all but no problems there and they drived to start it up and what do you know it starts up the first try. and they said when it started up it blew out all of this smoke because something got flooded but im guessing because i kept trying to turn the key and get the car started the previous day.

So i take it home and i decided to accelerate a little fats to make sure no problems or sounds existed and what do you know it starts to make a loud rumbling noise from the back as if i swapped out the muffler but it only makes the rumbling noise when i speed. and everybody knows that a rx300 are quite cars. so i kinda pay no mind to it thinking that the sound will so away. i park the car and a few hours later i come out the house and i put the key in the ignition and as i turn the key it makes like a clunk noise before the engine starts.

car only has 124,000 miles
year 2000
i serviced the oil frequently
i have a brand new timing belt
new alternator and i change my fluids
and i baby the hell out of this car so what could be the problem

the mechanic was talking about replacing the muffler which i had for only 7 or 6 years and some other muffler that's attached to this bar underneath of the car. they said their is no leakage of any sort

Last edited by thug9030; 07-01-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-01-11, 09:34 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-11, 10:52 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

That is a tough one to diagnose. Could have a bad set of starter soleoid contacts...Not sure about the clunk... The contacts can be had for around $15 and then it is a matter of replaceing them in the starter....
Old 07-09-11, 08:28 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thug9030
Ok i decide to drive my rx300 a few days ago but out of no where it negelcted to start the key turned all power came on what it wouldnt turn the car on so it could be driven. but mind you the previous day i drove it out of my garage so i could wash it and put it right back in and there was no problems what so ever.

so i had to get it towed to my family mechanic and they ran electrical test and all but no problems there and they drived to start it up and what do you know it starts up the first try. and they said when it started up it blew out all of this smoke because something got flooded but im guessing because i kept trying to turn the key and get the car started the previous day.

So i take it home and i decided to accelerate a little fats to make sure no problems or sounds existed and what do you know it starts to make a loud rumbling noise from the back as if i swapped out the muffler but it only makes the rumbling noise when i speed. and everybody knows that a rx300 are quite cars. so i kinda pay no mind to it thinking that the sound will so away. i park the car and a few hours later i come out the house and i put the key in the ignition and as i turn the key it makes like a clunk noise before the engine starts.

car only has 124,000 miles
year 2000
i serviced the oil frequently
i have a brand new timing belt
new alternator and i change my fluids
and i baby the hell out of this car so what could be the problem

the mechanic was talking about replacing the muffler which i had for only 7 or 6 years and some other muffler that's attached to this bar underneath of the car. they said their is no leakage of any sort
Ok. Just throwing these out. No codes? I'd say Park-Neutral Safety Switch and either a fuel pump relay or a faulty fuel pump. It's located pretty much under the rear seat.