RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Hatch Door Replace - How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 09:35 AM
meffaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Hatch Door Replace - How?

So my daughter backed into something with her RX300 and bottom line is the hatch door needs to be replaced. Turns out a local place has one same year and color in good shape for short money.

Assuming I can get the current hatch door open (it's stuck now), how difficult do you think it'll be to remove and replace? Has anyone ever done this, or is this something better left to the pro's?

Joe
Old 06-24-13, 10:44 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately, have never needed to do that.

But three things I would highly suggest:

1) Make sure that the key cylinder is swapped with the one you currently have, so your key can be used (if need be).
2) Take this opportunity to lubricate the <bleep> out of the hatch handle spring
3) Replace the license plate bulbs, even if they are fine

I have read threads on there expressing EXTREME CAUTION when working with the door lifter struts, so if you decide to do this yourself, just be very careful!
Old 06-24-13, 12:26 PM
meffaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
Fortunately, have never needed to do that.

But three things I would highly suggest:

1) Make sure that the key cylinder is swapped with the one you currently have, so your key can be used (if need be).
2) Take this opportunity to lubricate the <bleep> out of the hatch handle spring
3) Replace the license plate bulbs, even if they are fine

I have read threads on there expressing EXTREME CAUTION when working with the door lifter struts, so if you decide to do this yourself, just be very careful!
Thanks, I was thinking about the cylinder and if that could be swapped. 99% of the time the power locks are used, but always good to have the key option.

A friend of a friend owns a body shop and I can bring it to them, but it'll still cost and take time, neither of which I'm overly concerned with, but if I can do it myself in a reasonable amount of time I'd like to go that route.

I think if I can get to the electrical harnesses and get those disconnected/reconnected I'll be in good shape. Just not sure if they leave a bit of play in the hinges, or if it's pretty tight. If it's tight then I expect I'll be easier because not a whole lot can be out of alignment, but we'll see!
Old 06-24-13, 05:32 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Well it is not a one person job .. three are better, two to hold and the third to bolt it in.

Problem #1: How to release the crumpled rear hatch. You may have to bend metal back or some how release the catch with things under tension.

Problem #2: How to manipulate/handle the weight and size of the door and hold it in position while you undo the current and attach the new.

Do able, but plan ahead.

Salim
Old 06-25-13, 10:56 AM
meffaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Well it is not a one person job .. three are better, two to hold and the third to bolt it in.

Problem #1: How to release the crumpled rear hatch. You may have to bend metal back or some how release the catch with things under tension.

Problem #2: How to manipulate/handle the weight and size of the door and hold it in position while you undo the current and attach the new.

Do able, but plan ahead.

Salim
Picked up the replacement decklid, can't believe I was able to find one locally in the correct color! I searched online throughout the country and they averaged $600-$900, and I got mine for $375 in the color I needed!

Yeah, I was thinking about the manpower needed for this and contacted the bodyshop. I'm gonna bring it in week after next when they have time. I got the replacement part at a good price, might as well have it installed correctly. Still not happy about having to go through this, but what are you gonna do.
Old 06-25-13, 11:41 AM
salimshah

As you transfer the lock mechanism, please dont throw away the lock actuator. I would highly recommend that you offer it through our Pay it forward thread.

Salim
Old 06-25-13, 12:40 PM
meffaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
As you transfer the lock mechanism, please dont throw away the lock actuator. I would highly recommend that you offer it through our Pay it forward thread.

Salim
Ok, not sure what the Pay it forward thread is, but I'll check it out. I was hoping to take off whatever could be of use down the road.
Old 06-25-13, 04:51 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by meffaman
Ok, not sure what the Pay it forward thread is, but I'll check it out. I was hoping to take off whatever could be of use down the road.
It is your prerogative what you choose to do ... keep the items for future use, sell them or pass them on the fellow members. The later is the Pay it forward.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-25-13 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 05:41 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't replaced the whole hatch door, but I remember replacing the struts. It's amazing how much weight those support. Once the hatch is opened up (probably the hardest part...), prop up the hatch ALL the way with a 2x4 or something and remove the struts. Hopefully, they are not bent. You'll want to have some buddies there holding up the hatch as you unbolt it from the hinges. I could not believe how heavy it was while it was still attached but without the struts. That's the only advice I can offer based on my limited experience. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 07-16-13, 03:36 PM
meffaman
Driver School Candidate

Default Update!

Had the hatch replaced last week, body shop guys that are friends of a friend did it for $100.00!

They said the wiring on the replacement was fried, so they took from the original, which was a bit more work than just unbolting and bolting. They switched out the key lock too. All in all the whole thing cost $475 for parts and labor and it looks better than before the accident happened.

I consider myself very fortunate that things worked out the way they did, now if we can just go a while without any accidents I'll be very happy!
Old 07-16-13, 04:10 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad it went well !!