RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What oil are you using right now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 10:39 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

"At what millage do I change the weight of the oil? "

Probably never, maybe go to a 0w-30 for winter. I guess if I was burning a ton of oil I would try a little thicker, but other than that there is really no reason to mess with anything else.
Old 11-01-12, 10:33 PM
TrueTexan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicotrini
I just changed the oil today with
Castrol GTX 5w30
RX 300 has 65k miles

At what millage do I change the weight of the oil?
I bought my 2002 RX300 a month ago and will need to do an oil change shortly. I've had two sources recommend the Castrol conventional. Did you use conventional and how has Castrol worked out for you? Any engine noise, better or worse gas mileage?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-12, 04:09 AM
ADKLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M1 5w30. $25 oil filter special at Autozone. 172k no oil use. Probably going to stick with a 7k interval, do the trans fluid every 4th change if the car lasts that long. Would do the Penn Platinum too if that were the weekly special.
Old 11-03-12, 06:03 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2000 RX300 didn't like M1 synthetic, so I switched back to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, depending what's on sale at the time. I use the 5w-30, with very little oil consumption.
Old 11-03-12, 06:26 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88
My 2000 RX300 didn't like M1 synthetic, so I switched back to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, depending what's on sale at the time. I use the 5w-30, with very little oil consumption.
Can you let us know why it didn't like M1? Curious.
Old 11-03-12, 07:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'm currently using Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30. No consumption, run's great, and 5k oci.
Before this I used Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.
I'm about to leave for a 1200 mile road trip (Michigan) in about an hour, once I get back I'll have to change the oil. I'm thinking of using Mobil 1 5W-30, as that's what I used before Pennzoil Ultra and it worked well.
An update:

I've now been using Pennzoil Platinum for the past few OCI's. I run a 5k OCI, and have no measurable consumption.

I did use Mobil 1 5W-30 once as stated in the above response, and it consumed oil. It consumed 3 quarts on a 2000 mile road trip. That was more than a year ago though and after switching back to Pennzoil Platinum I haven't seen a drop of consumption, it only consumed oil that one time and it was on Mobil 1. I'm convinced the oil consumption has something to do with Mobil 1 as I've seen people mention consumption issues with Mobil 1 here on Club Lexus before.

I still haven't tried 5W-20, it's very tempting.
Old 11-03-12, 10:56 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

An update:

I've now been using Pennzoil Platinum for the past few OCI's. I run a 5k OCI, and have no measurable consumption.

I did use Mobil 1 5W-30 once as stated in the above response, and it consumed oil. It consumed 3 quarts on a 2000 mile road trip. That was more than a year ago though and after switching back to Pennzoil Platinum I haven't seen a drop of consumption, it only consumed oil that one time and it was on Mobil 1. I'm convinced the oil consumption has something to do with Mobil 1 as I've seen people mention consumption issues with Mobil 1 here on Club Lexus before.

First of all, you being in Jersey, I hope you are doing OK after Sandy.

Second, I would love to start using some of the HQ synthetics out there but have just heard too many issues about increased oil consumption and possible gasket deterioration. For that matter, I have just stuck to the PYB 5w-30 Dino at 3-4k / 6 month oci's. Don't want to jinx anything.

In the Pittsburgh airport now headed out to AZ. Looking forward to getting acquainted again with my RX's and my motorcycle!!!
Old 11-04-12, 06:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
First of all, you being in Jersey, I hope you are doing OK after Sandy.

Second, I would love to start using some of the HQ synthetics out there but have just heard too many issues about increased oil consumption and possible gasket deterioration. For that matter, I have just stuck to the PYB 5w-30 Dino at 3-4k / 6 month oci's. Don't want to jinx anything.

In the Pittsburgh airport now headed out to AZ. Looking forward to getting acquainted again with my RX's and my motorcycle!!!
Yes, I'm doing fine after Sandy, just a ton of damage around town. Thanks for asking!

I don't think switching to synthetic will create leaks, and increase oil consumption. I believe it to be a myth. Others may disagree.

I think PYB is a great conventional oil and it'll serve you well just as you are doing.
Old 11-04-12, 10:55 AM
RX300CE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88
My 2002 RX300 did not like M1 synthentic too, because of rear main seal leak, so I switched back to Castrol GTX 5W-30
Old 11-04-12, 11:41 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

'99RX300, 150,000miles
I have been using Shell RotellaT6 full synthetic 5w40 that I've come to really trust for various reasons including instant lubrication at cold start (listen for it), no oil added between long oil changes, longer intervals when the oil doesn't oxidize, the occasional puff of blue smoke at cold start I used to get from the RX that I read was from the valve guides (?) is history, smoother sound at idle (I can hear the difference!) and I've had great performance from this product in my other vehicles ranging from my Ford 6.8 V10 and single cylinder RV generator, and my single and V-Twin wet clutch motorcycles, none of which reccommend this oil from the factory.
Yes, I tried other conventionals and synthetics including Mobil 1 in the RX. I didn't care for Mobil 1, either. Like others, I think I also had some oil usage with that product. But I don't have that issue with the Rotella T6. I don't think that's because of synthetic vs. conventional.
The T6 is not designated as "energy saving" with the 5w40 rating and I think that's what puts other owners off. It did for me, too. It's also got a more complete protective/detergent additive package. It is packaged for large commercial vehicles, but does have a lot of loyal users among motorcycle and RV enthusiasts, who also use it in their cars. The RX is the last of my vehicles I tried it on, because of the lack of "energy saving" designation, however that was a few years ago, and I have been very happy with how well the oil performs during the interval.
I used to change every 3-4000 miles, but now I go 5-6000 and the oil still looks cleaner, there is no sludgy formation at the top (that I can see anyway) like used to form up near the top valve cover by the filler (what's that doing there?), smoother sound at idle, the smoke at start is gone, all giving the impression the engine seems cleaner.
I'm sure any old plain conventional oil will do if you change often enough. But my reasons for spending a few bucks more are include I can't afford a new car or a major engine repair, so I just don't want to take any chances. BTW, Rotella T6 is sold at Walmart around currently around $21/gallon which is a bargain for even conventional motorcycle oil, but pretty fair for synth auto oil, too. I use a coupon at the Toyota dealer to buy factory Toyota filters for the RX.
Old 11-10-12, 03:40 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

5W30 Mobil1, which ours has seen since new.

I do 10K mile changes. Yes, ten thousand miles.

LA4Mead...Mercedes used to recommend C4 diesel motor oil for all their gasoline-engined vehicles. My old Baby Beater Benz, a '95 E320, has high-interval changes, on synthetic Rotella, and it uses maybe a quart over 10K miles. I'm the third owner, and I know the second owners didn't understand the sump holds 7 quarts, so it was always run at least 2 quarts/litres low...for the 20K miles before I bought it.

The oil life indicator on the '05 STS V8 I have gives me about 12K miles between changes. Though, 8 quart sump.

That's a lot, sure, but nothing compared to the Cummins ISB in the motocoach...that sucker holds 4 gallons.
Old 11-14-12, 10:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

An update:

Go for it! I tried it, ran very well. But did have a little valve train noise. Also, with the towing ability I have I feel more comfortable with the 5W-30.

Last edited by lexus114; 11-16-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 11:47 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
Go for it! I tried it, ran very well. But did have a little valve train noise. Still in all, I think I might go back to it again. I`m tired of only getting 17to17.5 mpg on this crappy winter blend fuel. I easily got 1to 1.5 mpg`s more on the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20.
ugh, stop pressuring me....

Do you think a 20 weight can stand up to the "torture" from the 1MZ-FE? I mean we've seen 30 weight oils shear down to 20 weights, which is why I'm weary. I certainly don't want the 20 weight shearing down to something even lower.
Old 11-15-12, 02:28 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quaker State 5W30 conventional b/c that's what my Toyota dealer uses. I would have thought they would use Toyota motor oil but I suppose the Quaker State is cheaper. As I'm on a 4,500 mile OCI every 3 1/2 months, I think conventional is fine; I thought about moving to synthetic but was warned about possible leaks changing so late. I do use Mobil 1 EP in my wife's Infiniti, but I have that on a 9-month 7,500 mile OCI as I use an indy that's not too convenient and it all works well with a tire rotation schedule.
Old 11-16-12, 08:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

ugh, stop pressuring me....

Do you think a 20 weight can stand up to the "torture" from the 1MZ-FE? I mean we've seen 30 weight oils shear down to 20 weights, which is why I'm weary. I certainly don't want the 20 weight shearing down to something even lower.

I think it would be alright. 5W-20 doesnt loose much in visc. compared to 5W-30. Try it, (just make sure it doesnt consume it too much) And I recommend the PP 5W-20. On the flip side of the coin, I use Conventional 5W-30 in mine (GTX currently) and it runs fantastic! So I figure with the Conventional oil`stoday being better than they ever were (due to strict vehicle requirements) why bother with the Synthetic? This is why i`m not using it in mine right now. Choice is your`s, just depends on what you looking to accomplish I guess. Also I have a tow hitch on mine, and I just wouldnt feel comfortable towing anything on 5W-20.

Last edited by lexus114; 11-16-12 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: What oil are you using right now?