RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Weapon-R Intake and Cold Air Box installed... Results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 11:05 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weapon-R Intake and Cold Air Box installed... Results.

Got my Weapon-R intake and CAB installed last night - thanks to mrsypher for the fair price and ESPECIALLY for the tips he gave me on how to install over the phone. THANKS!

The results? WOW! Big improvement across the board: launching, high rev's, etc... My RX is significantly quicker than before.

One thing that was surprising is how LOUD the intake and cold air box are... When I stepped on the gas the first time it shocked the hell out of me because there was quite a ROOOOAAAAARRRRRRRR!!! out of the engine bay... It seems like that aluminum box creates quite a bit of resonance/vibration, giving a more "high performance" tone to my engine - brought a huge smile to my face the first time I heard it.

I've just gotta wonder though, is it supposed to be this LOUD and RESONANT? I'm 99.99% sure I've got it installed correctly, but man, when I gun it, it's LOUD! I really like the tone, and the really cool thing is that if I'm driving nice and easy you can barely hear any difference if at all... Also, at cruising speeds it's still the nice, mild-mannered Lexus it was before.

Now I'm just waiting for my RMM exhaust to arrive and I'm all set!

Last edited by CK1_RX3; 09-06-02 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-06-02, 12:28 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

It's me again, I am glad you changed to something more efficient . I am using the same thing and it is that loud as you described. So don't worry about it. Oh don't forget to change your air filter every so often as that will decrease the performance of the intake.

Last edited by Swing913; 09-06-02 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 01:12 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Swing913
It's me again, I am glad you changed to something more efficient . I am using the same thing and it is that loud as you described. So don't worry about it. Oh don't forget to change your air filter every so often as that will decrease the performance of the intake.
Swing913, as much as I thought the TRD filter DID provide an improvement, that filter versus the intake is night and day different - you were 100% correct! (but don't let that give you a big head or anything, alright?)...

Okay, so the sonic boom type roar I hear when I step on the gas is normal - kinda figured that, and I'm glad it is normal because I like to be able to make some noise when I want to! Actually the sound of the intake kind of reminds me of the way the dual 4-barrel carb sounds on my pop's '68 RSSS Camaro (which is possibly the coolest car ever made... 396 big block - OH YEAH BABY!)...

So how often do I need to change the filter? Will the cleaning kit sold by Weapon-R allow me to extend the life of it?
Old 09-06-02, 01:37 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

HOW DO U CLEAN AN AIR FILTER. DO U NEED A SPECIAL CLEANIN KIT, OR CAN U MAKE UP A SOULTION URSELF>???? I KNOW ITS NOT JUST WATER, U NEED SOMETHIGN ELSE TOO
Old 09-06-02, 02:08 PM
Lvangundy

I'd really love to see dyno results on the RX300 with and without intake...
Old 09-06-02, 03:39 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lvangundy
I'd really love to see dyno results on the RX300 with and without intake...
As would I... but what I do know is that it's definately some kind of gain over stock - you can feel the difference. Also sounds VERY good... The numbers would be interesting to me, but I'm satisfied with just feeling and hearing gains/improvements - I got my money's worth. Oh yeah, the box looks sweet in the engine bay as well - matches the color of the engine. I think I'm going to use some really fine grit sandpaper to polish the aluminum when I get time - that would look KILLER.

As for cleaning the filter - go to weapon-r.com and look at their cleaning kits.
Old 09-06-02, 07:12 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

Okay about the cleaning kits, the cleaning kit would do just an okay job but won't restore it to 100%. By the way, r u using the V2 filter instead of the dragon filter?? Cuz I know that for the dragon filter, you can just change the element and would be like new, at least that's what I have done for so long.
Old 09-06-02, 10:31 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hrm, interesting... i only have the v2 filter i think, i wanted to get the dragon filter or a K&N cone filter for it... but i have used the weapon r filter cleaner kit thing... dunno, it cleaned it... but i think it needs to be clean again LOL i might just get a dragon filter or a K&N...

hope you enjoy the difference... the other day i let my friend drive my car since i had to drive my sis to bring it into shop so my friend drove next to me and i was amazed as how nice the car sounds with the exhaust and intake... sound very very nice from outside. i just love it =)
Old 09-09-02, 03:08 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Yeah, really can't wait to get that RMM now for the tone and to relieve the added back pressure from the intake... gotta get rid of those spent gasses in a hurry now!

I think I'm going to make a few improvments to the Weapon-R cold air box.... I wasn't real impressed with the "fit and finish" of the box, so I'm going to do the following:

1. Use some fine grit sandpaper to buff it to a shine. That's just an aluminum box, so some fine grit sandpaper would give it a real nice brushed or even polished look depending on how fine of sandpaper you use.... Could use some Mother's mag polish on it too after that to shine it up real nice.

2. Going to use some double sided adhesive to really hold the box together, and possibly replace the sheet metal screws with pop rivets to elminate the slight bit of rattling vibration I hear when my engine hits 3000 rpms... The resonance of the aluminum box will still be there which is a tone I REALLY like (nothing you could do to eliminate that anyways other than get rid of the aluminum box), but the slight rattle from the noise frequency the engine makes at 3000 rpms will be gone.

3. Going to epoxy the nuts for the box cover top to the inside of the box, that way the bolt screws can be put in place with greater ease.

Man the box and intake gives such a nice added responsiveness and quickness to the RX, not to mention the great tone... Just wish the fit and finish was a little better on the box itself, but that's something I can do when I get a little free time... And might as well shine up my engine a bit while I'm in there too!
Old 09-09-02, 09:16 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Chad, glad you like it... I liked that sound it gave off too but with or without that box you are going to have that sound.. Actually you'll have it more without the box.. And as for cleaning the filter I use compressed air, you know like at the gas stations where you get air for your tires... I got one at my yard where I work, it gets everything out... Oh, by the way was the filter clean like I said it would be?? Well enjoy and I'm happy that your happy with it.... Oh, by the way I'm selling 2 TV's in the headrests from my RX....
Old 09-10-02, 10:22 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mrsypher
Chad, glad you like it... I liked that sound it gave off too but with or without that box you are going to have that sound.. Actually you'll have it more without the box.. And as for cleaning the filter I use compressed air, you know like at the gas stations where you get air for your tires... I got one at my yard where I work, it gets everything out... Oh, by the way was the filter clean like I said it would be?? Well enjoy and I'm happy that your happy with it.... Oh, by the way I'm selling 2 TV's in the headrests from my RX....
Mike, you're a man of your word. The filter was clean enough to eat off of (metaphorically speaking). I've got a gas station right on the corner by my house, so I can clean with compressed air very conveniently. Good suggestion. Interesting that I'd have that sound with or without the box - really sounded like the box was creating that resonance. Either way I like it.
Thanks for the heads up on the TV's - no ice for me though... TV in the headrest just isn't my thing.
Thanks again Mike -
ck
Old 09-10-02, 09:56 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

No prob...
Old 09-22-02, 12:37 PM
cephraim
Driver

Default Computer reset needed

After installing a K&N air filter, is a computer reset needed?

I was just reading the K&N FAQ at:
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#9

Thanks,
Eph
Old 09-22-02, 12:53 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

you should.... Either diconect the battery or take out the ECU fuse for about 1/2hr.... Then after, drive the car hard....
Old 09-22-02, 09:24 PM
cephraim
Driver

Is the ECU fuse clearly labelled? Is it in the fusebox inside the car or under the hood?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Weapon-R Intake and Cold Air Box installed... Results.