RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Thinking of purchasing... Help Please!

Old 09-05-02, 12:05 AM
seitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing... Help Please!

My wife and I are currently looking at 2002 RX300's and I wanted to ask a few questions.

First, what options are must haves? HID (yes), navigation, etc?

Second, with the 2003's coming out soon we are starting to see good deals on the 2002's. What is a reasonable price to pay for the AWD model with the Premium Plus package?

Today I found an AWD "Coach Special Addition w/ Additional Options" which had everything I wanted except navigation. Dealer had already discounted it to around 38.5, how much better can I do?

I also found a "used" 2002 model on the lot with 9,000 miles. I wasn't able to tell what package/options it had from looking at it but the sticker was $35.5. Edmunds and KBB don't have information on 2002 models yet, anyone know what they should be asking?

Finally, any general opinions would be welcome, although I know where everyone's loyalties lie! Again, thanks for the help and I look forward to joining the Lexus community, hopefully soon!!!
Old 09-05-02, 02:14 AM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Hi,
If my memory serves me correctly, I think HID's only come with navigation. That's what I got. I have a 2001 Nav and my intent was to only get the HID's and the dvd monitor. I said screw the navigation, but they said HID's only come with navigation.

Many have gone aftermarket HID's. They sure are bright; a lot brighter the OEM 5200K's...

Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-02, 08:49 PM
gandy
Driver School Candidate

Lexus of Santa Monica also told me that the seat heaters only come with the Navi models as well.. Unless you're in a cold-climate market like Colorado.

Our must-have options were HIDs, seat heaters, and the Coach package. That particular combo required us to either truck one out from Colorado, or take the Navigation, which we did.

Gandy
Old 09-06-02, 11:55 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Only come with...

Is basically a bunch of dealer crap!

BUT. If you want to buy a 2002 at this point you're going to have to settle for "dealer order(ed) packages".

Personally I'd tough it out until next spring when the 2004 RX is to be introduced.

But if you're intent on getting a 2002, or a 2003 that's actually a 2002 "repeat".

The HID is a very desirous option, especially if you're over 50 and your night vision isn't what it used to be.

The Lexus Nav firmware is so BUGGY it makes the system virtually useless. Don't buy it unless the dealer discounts the vehicle to the point it's free. And even then it won't be free, the ergonomics of the nav display for radio and HVAC function controls SUCKS, and I mean ROYALLY SUCKS!

Don't get the AWD version, the FWD with VSC and Trac will be just as functional for wintertime use as the AWD version. The RX uses an always FLACCID VC to route power to the rear. THe RX is basically ALWAYS FWD even if you pay the ectra for the AWD version.

If you really need AWD the try the Chrysler T&C minivan, its AWD system actually does the job!

If you have a few extra $$ to spend then look very seriously at the ML320 or the BMW X5.

And if you buy any Lexus vehicle and load a couple of wet skiers in be prepared for instantaneous windshield fogging about 5 miles down the road. Always have a dry towell handy in the wintertime to wipe the condensation form the windshield, the Lexus defog system doesn't work at all if the outside temperatures are sub-freezing. And if the natural humidity isn't enough to fog the windshield the Lexus system will gather some of its own. Surprise, you can't see!

Hopefully the 2004 RX version will be upgraded with the Sequoia's AWD system, less expensive to manufacture. It might also include rear wing vents, it took ML a few years to realize why these were needed. The Chrysler has had them for many years.

And hopefully the Denso engineers will have figured out how to design a climate control system by then.
Old 09-07-02, 04:38 PM
mbmorgan
Driver School Candidate

I live in Los Angeles and have found the navigation system to be very useful.

I do agree that the integration of the navigation with the other controls needs a good deal of work.

I do hope the new RX330 puts at least a volume control on the steering wheel!

Matt
Old 09-07-02, 05:09 PM
Mercclk00
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

38.5 sounds great for a coach! the charcoal is the best color. a navigation on a rx300 is a must. i just got one and i love it. i sometimes wonder i did without one. good luck
Old 09-07-02, 08:07 PM
W5WC
Driver School Candidate

We've had our 02 RX since March (came with 2001 rev Nav software) and it has worked nearly flawlessly. I've heard lots of flames thrown at the Lexus Nav system, but suspect the problems other people are encountering are version related, and if they have the newer version of the software their problems are largely resolved.
Old 09-08-02, 06:12 AM
scooby doo
Driver School Candidate

Smile

We just purchased our RX approximately a month ago. At the time, we were not so concerned with options such as the HID's, wood steering. Now that we have it, we must say, its not an option, its a must! We did not get the nav as and the only thing that stop me short from buying the coach edition was the single tone paint. I really like the two-tone paint on the regular rx version.

Hopefully, we can consider you our RX buddy in the near future. Scoob
Old 09-08-02, 08:13 PM
RinnDogg

seitz: what color Coach Edition is it? I got my graphite one for $38k (before tax & license) in June here in Northern California. It doesn't have Navigation, but I don't need it since I know my way around the Bay Area very well. I'd say $38.5k is a good deal if it's a graphite one....but around here, I've seen a few dealers w/ far more burnished gold and white Coach Editions than graphite ones, so you could probably get those other 2 colors for a bit less. Just my opinion though.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-02, 01:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in NC, the FWD Package with the HIDs came with heated seats and a spoiler.

The AWD package also came with the towing hitch.

Coach? FWD only here. No HIDs.
Just the Coach Premium Plus Pkg.

Please pay no attention to those that would suggest that you
should buy a Chrysler. Some people are pitiful in their dislike of Lexus, because of some bad experience they won't let go of. They sometimes appear (like a pimple) and post in Lexus forums with the sole intent of bashing and trashing Lexus.

10K miles in less than 6 months.

I love my new 2002 RX 300...

I hope you get one and you'll feel the same. Good luck in your search.
Old 09-09-02, 01:50 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default 2002 RX

If you want a sporty vehicle dont buy the RX300. It is not sporty at all. If you want something that handles well, please buy the SL500. It has all the options that you want and as many airbags as the RX300. It cannot tow a boat or carry as much as RX but who cares.

Seriously...if you are considering the Chrysler T&C please consider the Mercedes SL500 (or SL55) also.

But if you still want to buy the RX, go ahead with it. I had it for a year and apart from getting a smile on my face everytime I drive it, it has been boring (no problems/trips to dealers etc).

I would be wary of buying a 9k used RX. Why would someone turn in at such a short period? The depreciation on a 9k is not much and the difference is not enough for you to lose that new car smell and a baby that you drove first.

I am ok with directions so Nav is not a must for me. But if I could do it again I would like to go with HIDs and Heated Seats (even in Southern climates). Unfortunately both come only as a package with AWD or Nav (dont know which goes with which) and so I didnt get them. I think the Charcoal is a great color though personally I like the black interiors.

You really cant go wrong once you have decided on an RX. There is no difference between the 2002 and 2003 and you shouldnt pay more than 500 over invoice at this time of the year.

Once you are about to sign the papers, ask your salesman to throw in additional CD cartridges and a touch up paint into the deal.
Old 09-09-02, 02:34 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2002 RX

Originally posted by gsenthil
Once you are about to sign the papers, ask your salesman to throw in additional CD cartridges and a touch up paint into the deal.
Great Idea! Why didn't I think of that?
I guess I was overcome with Lexusitus.
Old 09-09-02, 08:47 PM
gandy
Driver School Candidate

I agree with RinnDogg. SoCal also seems to have a lot more White and Gold Coach RX's in stock. Graphites are hard to find, and the dealers seem more willing to move on the other two.

Heated seats are nice in the winter, even in LA. And our NAVI, other than guiding us to a restaurant that had closed recently, seems to work fine. I didn't mean to buy it when I did, but it's fun to look at, and came in handy a few times already.

HID's are so far my favorite feature. Makes other headlamps look dull yellow by comparison.

Gandy

p.s. I guess it was a "bunch of dealer crap" that I had to buy it, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the NAVI.
Old 09-15-02, 08:31 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by HarrierRX300
Hi,
If my memory serves me correctly, I think HID's only come with navigation. That's what I got. I have a 2001 Nav and my intent was to only get the HID's and the dvd monitor. I said screw the navigation, but they said HID's only come with navigation.

Many have gone aftermarket HID's. They sure are bright; a lot brighter the OEM 5200K's...

Hope this helps.
They lied... my 2001 RX has HID's, but no nav system- and, it's FWD, not AWD. I also added the Wood & Leather steering wheel. I think I have everything that's in the nav package, except for the nav system or heated seats.

When I was at a local dealership looking at the RX's a year ago, many of them didn't have HID's... I'm surprised more people don't get that option... why spend 35k + on a car and not get HID's. I can't imagine I'll ever buy a car that doesn't have them in the future. I had thought about getting a SilverSport, but they didn't have them with HID's... how retarded is that? It seems to me like 90% of people who wanted a SilverSport would want HID's on it.

Last edited by RX300_ATL; 09-15-02 at 08:36 PM.