RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

found a scratch on one of my graphites today

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 08:43 PM
RinnDogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy found a scratch on one of my rims today

I just found a scratch on one of my rims today. It's not big or anything (approximately 1cm), but it's big enough to upset me It doesn't look like it's from the curb or anything. Besides, I haven't hit anything while driving or parking...so I guess someone was messing with me. I didn't notice it last week when I was cleaning it, so it happened sometime in the past 4 days.

Anyway, I know this is kind of a pointless post, but I thought I'd share it w/ you anyway. At least you guys can understand where I'm coming from. Everyone else keeps saying it's "just a car" or "who cares." Oh well, at least it's just a tiny scratch on 1 rim instead of anything more serious (knock on wood). Who knows? I guess this means I should get some new rims

Last edited by RinnDogg; 09-03-02 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 10:30 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was cleaning my wheels yesterday and found
some "roadwear", too. But, what can you do?

I plan to stay inside my RX 300 as much as possible.
Old 09-04-02, 01:44 PM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

"just a car"??? d'oh...they just don't understand...anybody else here got a name for their lex?
Old 09-04-02, 02:49 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Sounds like some crap may have gotten flipped up by the tire as you drove.

At least your wife doesn't use the rims to parallel park by feel...........
Old 09-04-02, 11:52 PM
RinnDogg

At least your wife doesn't use the rims to parallel park by feel...........
LOL mooretorque...I'm a 21 year-old girl....but I'm pretty good at parallel parking....and I never feel my way around when I'm parking near anything
Old 09-05-02, 12:03 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

RinnDogg, good on ya, m'lady!!!

Also be careful of "feel parking"'s close relative, "audible parking"!
Old 09-05-02, 12:34 PM
Handogen
Driver

I admire your dedication to your RX, but it's just finely tuned gorgeously shaped hunk of metal...

Worse things can happen... if you get keyed or ran into, you'll forget all about a 1cm scratch on your rim..

Hando
Old 09-06-02, 04:03 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by StrmRdr23
"just a car"??? d'oh...they just don't understand...anybody else here got a name for their lex?
I understand... I call mine "Lexy"... I know, a little unoriginal, but my girlfriend's 2 year old nieces name is Alexus, and we call her Lexy, so that's where the name came from. Yup, a bit cheesy, but that's my baby's name.

That said, wear and tear happens. As much as a vehicle is a prized-posession, it's still just a tool that if you use it everyday, it won't be museum perfect forever. The world is a brutal environment to keep a car looking perfect, and unless you're gonna keep it in a showroom and transport it with a trailer (which is a RIDICULOUS way to use your car as a car wants to be DRIVEN), it's gonna get a few cuts and bruises...

These things may help:
1. It gives your car character - I know, I know, I'm reaching a little, but my wood steering wheel is all full of knicks and dents and I actually LIKE it because they're my nicks and dents. Do I want scratches and dents all over my car? No, but a few are GOING to happen.
2. The first scratch is always a tough one to stomach. You just have to remember that you are the ONLY person who will usually even notice.

Regardless, I feel for you and wish you better luck in the future. BTW, did you try buffing it out with wax? Try Meguiars with a really light rubbing compound or mothers mag polish (BE CAREFUL and use SPARINGLY though).

ck
Old 09-06-02, 06:26 PM
Handogen
Driver

Nice post, CK1_RX3

I had a dream last night there were dents all over my RX300... woke up sweaty and shaking... blech.

It's funny how we can take such a small thing like a little dent here or a little scratch there and let it ruin our whole day/week/etc.

I look at my vehicle and see every little imperfection. But when I see other people's vehicles I wonder how they keep it so perfect. But I guess the fact is most things are so minor that they're completely disregarded.

heheh... character.
Old 09-07-02, 02:52 AM
RinnDogg

Hando & CK1: I'm pretty over it now. It was just the very 1st nick that my car has had since I've bought it...that's all I know worst things could happen..not just to my car, but to me or people I care for.
Old 09-09-02, 10:50 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RinnDogg
Hando & CK1: I'm pretty over it now. It was just the very 1st nick that my car has had since I've bought it...that's all I know worst things could happen..not just to my car, but to me or people I care for.
Handogen - I think others cars just appear perfect because we don't take that white glove test to 'em like we do our own. Whenever I start to quibble over little dents and paint chips from stones, etc., I like to take 10 steps back from the car and admire at a distance like the rest of the world does - from there you can't see every little imperfection and looks like a sweet machine (especially after 3 hours of washing, waxing, and polishing chrome rims in the driveway!).

That's a good way to keep it in perspective RinnDogg - on one hand it's your car, and it pains one to see it get wounded; but on the other hand, it's JUST a car and at least it isn't a family member or friend getting hurt, etc. Although sometimes your car can feel like a good friend

Take care!