RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 09:56 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3

Hi, all

I notice that my transmission may not work improperly. I can feel a jerk when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3 when I step accelerate a little harder. When I step normally, it will costs a little more time to shift (about 1 - 2 second), but no jerk, I can feel that. All other gears shift nice.

Is there anything wrong with my transmission? I just replaced transmission fluid.
Old 04-19-11, 04:31 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A few questions. Did you replace the fluid yourself, if not, was it changed at a Toyota/Lexus dealer or someplace else? Did you use Toyota/Lexus transmission fluid or another transmission fluid? Have you checked the transmission fluid level since the fluid change?
Old 04-19-11, 05:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Do you have AWD or FWD, what year?

In addition, was the filter replaced at the time the fluid was changed and how many times has it been drained and filled?
Old 04-19-11, 07:44 AM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply, it is 01 AWD. I purchased 4 quarts Toyota type 4 and let the local car repair man help me to replace. Only drained and filled. I don't think it is a too difficult job, so I didn't go to the dealer. No filter replaced.

The only concern of mine is that they told me they used 4 quarts, but I thought 3 quarts is enough. I am not sure if they added all 4 quarts or they kept 1 quarts privately.

According to the previous owner's record, the transmission fluid was replaced at 40k miles, and 90k miles, at Lexus dealer. Not it is 12k miles.
Old 04-20-11, 06:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lserlohn
Thanks for the reply, it is 01 AWD. I purchased 4 quarts Toyota type 4 and let the local car repair man help me to replace. Only drained and filled. I don't think it is a too difficult job, so I didn't go to the dealer. No filter replaced.

The only concern of mine is that they told me they used 4 quarts, but I thought 3 quarts is enough. I am not sure if they added all 4 quarts or they kept 1 quarts privately.

According to the previous owner's record, the transmission fluid was replaced at 40k miles, and 90k miles, at Lexus dealer. Not it is 12k miles.
It depends how they did the drain and fill. You might want to ask them if they drained just the pan or also the front differential nearby which is the bolt furthest to the left. I can generally get about .5 liters out of it if I drained the pan first.

Believe me when I tell you that I came up short a few years ago by 2 quarts when I had my transmission out to replace a cracked pump and it needed those 2 quarts.

Additionally, if you haven't replaced your gear oil in your transfer case/rear differential that can also make a difference on that 2nd to 3rd gear changeover, but my 99.9% inclination right now is they came up short in terms of quarts put in there.
Attached Thumbnails Jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3-difftran.jpg  
Old 04-20-11, 07:51 AM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Thanks Lexmex, I think they just drained the pan. Do you mean about 2 quarts ATF was not replaced, or they are drained but not filled in?

Also, what should I do now? I think the only place they can filled in is the pipe where the dipstick put in.
Old 04-20-11, 09:56 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i had it on my RX but i had warranty and they changed the whole transmission from Lexus dealership. Now its sooo much better. but i wished i knew what was the problem.
Old 04-21-11, 10:49 AM
lexus1946
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 RX330. The car has had this less than smooth shift from 2 ro 3 since day one.
Old 04-21-11, 11:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lserlohn
Thanks Lexmex, I think they just drained the pan. Do you mean about 2 quarts ATF was not replaced, or they are drained but not filled in?

Also, what should I do now? I think the only place they can filled in is the pipe where the dipstick put in.
Sorry came back late...been working without sleep for the last 24 hours.

It is possible that there was not enough ATF in the system.

Correct on the pipe where the dipstick is being the only place.

What happened with me is that when the shift would occur in my RX that it would be like a surging. I would step on the accelerator and the vehicle would slowly lurch forward and then all of a sudden a jerk and the shift would occur. It would be a noticeable delay (more than a second) between stepping on the accelerator and the actual shift. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing.
The following users liked this post:
SDee (02-26-24)
Old 04-22-11, 02:37 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

hi, Lexmex, thanks for your reply. Today I went to the repair center where I got my ATF replaced. I asked them to double check the ATF level, and they did in the front of me, and they showed to me the dipstick. The ATF did on the upper level of the dipstick when the engine was hot. Do you think I should fill in more ATF?
Old 04-22-11, 03:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Definitely, DON'T OVERFILL. If the level was fine, leave it as is. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if that makes a difference (the ECU will re-learn your driving habits, maybe enhancing shift points as well)
Old 04-23-11, 09:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It's more the behavior to see how much of a delay there is between the time you step on the accelerator and the point at which it shifts.

If you step on the accelerator and it seems like it take a few second and then the shift and it feels really sluggish and then there is a sharp jerk, that's tranny fluid.

If you step on the accelerator and the vehicle is shifting but the shift isn't sharp...just long, that may be the transfer case/rear differential fluid.

Replacing the gear oil (transfer case/rear differential) helped my 2nd to 3rd gear switch...quite noticeable in drag racing for me,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html
SDee (02-26-24)
Old 05-05-11, 10:57 PM
mno221
Rookie

Unhappy Transmission jerking

i have the same problem with RX 300 jerking when changing gears, i change out fluid and filter, also changed out rear differ and tranfer case using oil from the dealer for tranny and royal purple gear and my tranny is still jerking not as bad but still doing it. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what else can be the problem.
SDee (02-26-24)
Old 05-06-11, 03:00 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mno221
i have the same problem with RX 300 jerking when changing gears, i change out fluid and filter, also changed out rear differ and tranfer case using oil from the dealer for tranny and royal purple gear and my tranny is still jerking not as bad but still doing it. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what else can be the problem.
You posted that it was running rough a few days ago and cleaning the MAF helped for a day but the problem came back. Is that resolved or is it still not running right too?
Old 05-06-11, 10:47 AM
mno221
Rookie

Default Tranny jerking

Yes it runs smooth now, but its the jerking when it change gears that still happening.

Quick Reply: Jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3