RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3

Old 06-07-11, 12:21 AM
OzrkFisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only noticed it myself from coming out of 3rd and descending down a hill.

But there was a 'jerk'. My parents in the backseats felt it as well. Brian
Old 06-10-11, 06:57 PM
jwarnermd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son's 2001 just had some slippage then when took it to transmission shop, found it had eaten itself up, not just torque converter. Has anyone else heard of similar problem? Over $3K to fix and not a dealer price.
Old 06-10-11, 09:23 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

I just got my transmission replaced by a reman one, with 3 years warranty. Nightmare.....

After I replaced the transmission, I found the jerk problem haven't gone. So I went to dealer today, and asked them to clear the values inside the ECU. Now, everything is fine.

If you find everything is OK, just jerk, maybe clear the values of ECU is a good choice. ECU records the old values of your driving habits. You MUST go to dealer, it requires a Toyota scan tools.
Old 06-11-11, 05:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by lserlohn
I just got my transmission replaced by a reman one, with 3 years warranty. Nightmare.....

After I replaced the transmission, I found the jerk problem haven't gone. So I went to dealer today, and asked them to clear the values inside the ECU. Now, everything is fine.

If you find everything is OK, just jerk, maybe clear the values of ECU is a good choice. ECU records the old values of your driving habits. You MUST go to dealer, it requires a Toyota scan tools.
I don't know why just pulling the battery wouldn't clear it out.

Reason I say this is about 5 years ago we had someone else who had come out of having their tranny fixed and wound up pulling the battery cables and all was well after that. A few years later, when I went to pull out my tranny for upgrades and to replace a cracked pump, I did the same thing and no issue.
Old 06-11-11, 07:41 AM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I don't know why just pulling the battery wouldn't clear it out.

Reason I say this is about 5 years ago we had someone else who had come out of having their tranny fixed and wound up pulling the battery cables and all was well after that. A few years later, when I went to pull out my tranny for upgrades and to replace a cracked pump, I did the same thing and no issue.
I was wondering too, but I do asked an Lexus Experts on the http://www.justanswer.com, and paid $36

The link is:

http://www.justanswer.com/lexus/4y9j...nsmission.html

Not sure if you can read this the post

Let's think in this way, when they replace the tranny, they probably disconnect the battery. If disconnecting the battery would clear the ECU, after the tranny is replaced, there should be no jerk (cause by ECU). However, actually it does have jerk, very hard. The jerk only gone when I go to dealer and ask them to clear ECU by their tools.

By the way, is the reason that you replace the pump in the tranny because there is some whine noise comming from it?

Last edited by lserlohn; 06-11-11 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-30-14, 06:03 AM
Lexus43
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am now experiencing the same problem! I own a 2001 lexus es300. Did anyone ever find the solution to this problem?

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-01-14, 06:54 AM
Stifler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes 02 rx300 fwd is also doing this. What was the final outcome of this? Hopefully not replacing the tranny.
Old 09-01-14, 04:53 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Unfortunately, my solution was replacing the transmission.

A lot of cost ($3500), but it runs today, 40000 miles on it, three and half years after replacement.

I didn't have money to buy a new car at that time, replacing the tranny is my only solution. I don't regret, 40000 miles are good enough to me, although I expect to drive another 40000 miles.

But jerk is not a key indicator. The key indicator is the whining noise from the tranny.

Originally Posted by Stifler
My wifes 02 rx300 fwd is also doing this. What was the final outcome of this? Hopefully not replacing the tranny.
Old 06-05-16, 08:44 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know this thread is old but just more info from Toyota/Lexus, ok i drove Toyota and Lexus for my whole life 18 years, my 1st car was V6 Toyota Camry LE, 1996, i'm not sure if my issue same as yours, i believe every Toyota/Lexus does this when it's old, whenever it's traffic and with a very slow speed, especially traffic on highway like Don Valley and 404 in TOronto Ontario,i always feel the 1st and 2nd gear jerk and jump like a Manual Trans at very slow speed in traffic.

My auto trans 96 Camry did the same, later i got an auto trans 2001 Toyota Solara the previous owner upgraded with TRD package + supercharged, it did the same thing, after i removed the Supercharger it still the same, 2 years ago i got an IS250 AWD year 2007, i test drive it, it does the same.

So i think toyota/lexus at high mileage auto trans is normal like this ? correct me if i'm wrong, my Toyota Solara did this when i 1st got the car, back in the day, i had for 11 years and been driven like this with no problem.

My mechanic friend told me not to replace trans filter because once they dismantle the trans they might screw up and get **** up the trans, he said just change fluid every 10k miles / 20k K/m no matter what ? i'm new to Lexus and new to AWD , i don't know what fluid to use for Transfer case and Diff Case. lexus IS engine is noisy as hell when it's cold.
Old 06-05-16, 01:14 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

The MAF will have a direct impact on transmission function and shifting. Cleaning doesnt always help. I would suggest you buy a new MAF and reset the ecm by disconnecting the the battery for 15 minutes. You can speed the reset by pressing the brake pedal a few time to discharge the capacitors in the ecm.
Old 06-05-16, 01:26 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
i know this thread is old but just more info from Toyota/Lexus, ok i drove Toyota and Lexus for my whole life 18 years, my 1st car was V6 Toyota Camry LE, 1996, i'm not sure if my issue same as yours, i believe every Toyota/Lexus does this when it's old, whenever it's traffic and with a very slow speed, especially traffic on highway like Don Valley and 404 in TOronto Ontario,i always feel the 1st and 2nd gear jerk and jump like a Manual Trans at very slow speed in traffic.

My auto trans 96 Camry did the same, later i got an auto trans 2001 Toyota Solara the previous owner upgraded with TRD package + supercharged, it did the same thing, after i removed the Supercharger it still the same, 2 years ago i got an IS250 AWD year 2007, i test drive it, it does the same.

So i think toyota/lexus at high mileage auto trans is normal like this ? correct me if i'm wrong, my Toyota Solara did this when i 1st got the car, back in the day, i had for 11 years and been driven like this with no problem.

My mechanic friend told me not to replace trans filter because once they dismantle the trans they might screw up and get **** up the trans, he said just change fluid every 10k miles / 20k K/m no matter what ? i'm new to Lexus and new to AWD , i don't know what fluid to use for Transfer case and Diff Case. lexus IS engine is noisy as hell when it's cold.
For the strange shifting when rolling at low speeds, its called gear hunting and toyota has had issues with this. That said, we bought a 08 Toyota Sienna XLE and at 50,000 miles it had the gear hunting issue which was irritating to say the least. What I did to cure the problem was to replace all the ATF in the transmission and add a B&M 70264 supercooler and. Magnefine filter to the cooler line. We are now at 138,000 and the transmission shifts like new. My thought is that the transverse mounted transmissions dont get the benefit of being air cooled and quickly reach "heatsoak" levels and cook the ATF shortening its life span to about 30,000 miles. Keeping the fluid between 150*-180*F extends the ATF life to about 100,000 miles. The added filter keeps the ferrous bits scrubbed from the clutches from recirculating and destroying the bearing and valves. Here is my how to on the Sienna. There is also a link in this thread to show the cooler install. Just adapt it to your vehicle.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/27...ienna-xle.html
Old 06-06-16, 05:45 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
For the strange shifting when rolling at low speeds, its called gear hunting and toyota has had issues with this. That said, we bought a 08 Toyota Sienna XLE and at 50,000 miles it had the gear hunting issue which was irritating to say the least. What I did to cure the problem was to replace all the ATF in the transmission and add a B&M 70264 supercooler and. Magnefine filter to the cooler line. We are now at 138,000 and the transmission shifts like new. My thought is that the transverse mounted transmissions dont get the benefit of being air cooled and quickly reach "heatsoak" levels and cook the ATF shortening its life span to about 30,000 miles. Keeping the fluid between 150*-180*F extends the ATF life to about 100,000 miles. The added filter keeps the ferrous bits scrubbed from the clutches from recirculating and destroying the bearing and valves. Here is my how to on the Sienna. There is also a link in this thread to show the cooler install. Just adapt it to your vehicle.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/27...ienna-xle.html
wow good DIY i might try it whenever i have time thanks.