RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3

Old 05-06-11, 06:09 PM
mno221
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Transmission jerking

Not only did i clean the MAF but also change the Bank1 Sensor 1, that's what did it. also when i changed the rear differ it took the whole bottle of royal purple, in one of the thread it said it should only whole 9ml the other .46ml would drain out, so could it have to much oil.
Old 05-07-11, 08:36 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The differential takes a full bottle...approximately 1 quart...If you have AWD both take the same amount.. (1qts each)
Old 05-09-11, 06:43 AM
mno221
Rookie

Red face Transmission jerking

Now that i've change all the gear oil and the tranny oil and filter and the jerk is still there even though its not as bad should i do another drain and fill and see if that make a different,. When i change the tranny oil it was a deep dark red, and one other note i've read in other thread that the tranny pan should have three magnets my only had two.
Old 05-14-11, 09:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

You changed the rear differential AND THE TRANSFER CASE or just the rear differential?
Old 05-16-11, 10:55 AM
mno221
Rookie

Post jerk

yes, rear differ, transfer case, tranny oil and filter and the transfer case on tranny, yesterday i did another drain and fill on the tranny and change the engine oil and filter, and PCV. still jerking.
Old 05-16-11, 04:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It depends how it is jerking. At what point do you notice it?

I usually change the tranny fluid by changing it out three times, (once per week over three weeks of driving) and then on the last drain and fill I will change the filter.
Old 05-18-11, 07:47 PM
mno221
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
It depends how it is jerking. At what point do you notice it?

I usually change the tranny fluid by changing it out three times, (once per week over three weeks of driving) and then on the last drain and fill I will change the filter.
Jerking:
When i put it in R it hesitate before going into gear, then when i shift to D and pull off it jerk from 1-2 then 2-3 its a jerk-jerk before shifting. I notice if i take off in drive 2 and get the speed up to about 3500rpm and take my foot off the gas and shift into D it done jerk. I change the filter on the first oil change because the oil was dark red, then i did a drain/fill last week using T-IV from the dealer.
Old 05-19-11, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The other thing you might try is disconnecting the battery cables for a few minutes, reattaching, and then driving around for about 15 minutes or so (if you can do 50% street/50% highway (getting over 55 mph at least once) and then see how it drives after that.
Old 05-29-11, 10:05 AM
mno221
Rookie

The other thing you might try is disconnecting the battery cables for a few minutes, reattaching, and then driving around for about 15 minutes or so (if you can do 50% street/50% highway (getting over 55 mph at least once) and then see how it drives after that.
Did another drain and fill and drove as suggested and still no change.
Old 05-29-11, 06:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mno221
Did another drain and fill and drove as suggested and still no change.
Let me know about the following:

At cold, see what level is on your transmission dipstick.

At hot, see what level is on your transmission dipstick.

By hot, I mean at the point that the vehicle gets to its high temperature on the temp gauge. By my experience, that's about 5 or so minutes after driving or about 13 minutes or so left in Park. If in Park for 13 minutes, put the shifter through all its levels ...R...N...D....etc. 3 times during that 13 minute period.
Old 05-30-11, 07:15 AM
mno221
Rookie

Default jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to 3

Let me know about the following:

At cold, see what level is on your transmission dipstick.

At hot, see what level is on your transmission dipstick.

By hot, I mean at the point that the vehicle gets to its high temperature on the temp gauge. By my experience, that's about 5 or so minutes after driving or about 13 minutes or so left in Park. If in Park for 13 minutes, put the shifter through all its levels ...R...N...D....etc. 3 times during that 13 minute period.
Jerk:
pop the hood pull dipstick oil level way over the full mark, started engine let idle for two mins, level at the cold mark, drove around to high temp, level right at top of full mark.
Old 05-30-11, 08:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Jerk:
pop the hood pull dipstick oil level way over the full mark, started engine let idle for two mins, level at the cold mark, drove around to high temp, level right at top of full mark.
I am not entirely sure (without taking a look inside the tranny) that your jerking may be transmission. Two other things come to mind (and after re-reading some of your earlier posts).

One, I would check again with an OBD2 reader what pending codes you may have in your system...particularly any P0300 pending codes related to a misfire. Even short ones won't pop a check engine light, but will cause a jerk.

Two, exhaust piping. Take a look at any joints along the length of the piping underneath the vehicle, particularly the joint underneath the engine and the one around the main catalytic converter. Tighten any of the bolts (they are 14mm) that you find. I've had that issue under acceleration and shift changes where loose bolts (caused by worn exhaust gaskets) led to a stuttering that is similar to jerking.
The following users liked this post:
SDee (02-26-24)
Old 05-30-11, 07:19 PM
mno221
Rookie

I am not entirely sure (without taking a look inside the tranny) that your jerking may be transmission. Two other things come to mind (and after re-reading some of your earlier posts).

One, I would check again with an OBD2 reader what pending codes you may have in your system...particularly any P0300 pending codes related to a misfire. Even short ones won't pop a check engine light, but will cause a jerk.

Two, exhaust piping. Take a look at any joints along the length of the piping underneath the vehicle, particularly the joint underneath the engine and the one around the main catalytic converter. Tighten any of the bolts (they are 14mm) that you find. I've had that issue under acceleration and shift changes where loose bolts (caused by worn exhaust gaskets) led to a stuttering that is similar to jerking.
jerk:
ok will try that tomorrow. one other thing there a scanner i've seen on TV call Car MD have you ever heard of it and would you recommend it.
Old 05-31-11, 02:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

jerk:
ok will try that tomorrow. one other thing there a scanner i've seen on TV call Car MD have you ever heard of it and would you recommend it.
If you need an OBD2 scanner I recommend the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...6875618&sr=8-1 (great price right now $29.95 and free shipping, it's what I use)

or if you have a laptop,

http://www.amazon.com/ElmScan-Compac...6875654&sr=8-3 (The free software that comes with it obdwiz (I use this program and scanner with my laptop) is very good, price is $38.95 with free shipping)
Old 06-05-11, 01:35 PM
mno221
Rookie

Jerk:
i've tired everything suggested on the forums but can't seem to solve my jerking problem, so i guess off to the shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jerk, when transmission shift from gear 2 to gear 3