RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

NOOBIE and Introduction with Codes and Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 01:53 PM
mikep415
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOBIE and Introduction with Codes and Q's

hey guys, my name is mike and i just joined today. I currently do not own a lexus but my brother owns a GS300 all VIP'd out and my Girl owns an 2000 RX 300..i'm the outkast with an e39 BMW 5-series but will eventually switch to a lexus IS300/GS300 or LS430.

Anyway, my girlfriends car just threw a check light. She hasn't been very well at keeping up with the maintenance so i am trying to help her out. I checked the codes and came up with P1130=Air/fuel ratio sensor, malfunction(bank 1 sensor 1). Has anyone ever experience this code? I want to know what can cause this and if it's a very common thing on these cars? also, how much would this cost me? I've searched a little but i'm at work a so i can't be on the forums too long.

2000 lexus RX300 149,xxxmiles

any info would be much appreciated, thanks

-mikep
Old 02-03-11, 03:00 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
Following is a write-up with photos on replacing the sensor. Denso 234-9009 is the sensor and brand you need for replacement. Amazon.com has been the cheapest place to buy this sensor and in the price range of $110.00 to about $125.00. Bank 1 sensor 1 is the sensor in the aft exhaust manifold. These sensors usually last in the neighborhood of 100,000 miles, some longer some less.
If you go to Lexus or Toyota for replacement be prepared to spend anywhere from $250.00 up before you get out the door.
Yes, there are other sensors available but the electrical values are a little different and this usually leads to fairly short time failure.
The replacement isn't that difficult unless the sensor is seized.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-f...el-sensor.html
Old 02-03-11, 04:00 PM
mikep415
Driver

will anything happen if she continues to drive like this for another week? he will be driving from san diego to los angeles tomorrow mornign which is about 2 hours. will this be a problem?

thanks a lot btw, bearbrew. I read some of your post regarding this issue.
Old 02-03-11, 05:32 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Nothing will happen, but fuel economy might suffer or might not, if it does it won't be much though... Don't replace anything yet, sometimes this code will come and go away by itself (tank of bad gas). So you might just want to reset it, and see if it comes back, it's just a sensor anyways, no big deal.
Old 02-03-11, 05:34 PM
bearbrew
Driver

If I recall correctly the code denotes a bad heater in the sensor. This will only affect engine function until you reach operating temperature.
The only thing I noticed on my Tundra with a Bank 2 sensor code was a slight loss in fuel economy. With the weather here in Tulsa and my traveling it was a month or so before I replaced the sensor.
Usually, when one of the sensors goes it is best to replace both of them. So far I have replaced both F/A, bank 1 sensor 1 & bank 1 sensor 2, on my wife's 2000 RX300 with about 80,000 miles on it. With 140,000 on my 2000 Tundra I have replaced both F/A sensors and both O2 sensors.
All six sensors were close to $500.00 and I replaced them in probably less than two hours. [I]t probably took longer to jack the RX300 up than replacing the sensor you access fron the bottom side.
Make your trip and replace them when you can in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 02-03-11, 05:40 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Like hypervish said, reset the code and see if it returns. It usually takes a few miles to reset and may only affect your gas mileage.
Last week when I was in San Diego gas was about $3.40 a gallon and probably closer to $3.50 now so gas mileage could become a factor.
Gas in Tulsa has gone up $0.20 in the last month and will probably hit $3.00 within the next week or so.
Old 02-04-11, 01:05 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do as HV said. It will likely return because of what that code denotes, a bad heater in that sensor. It won't hurt the car at all to drive it and will probably have little effect on mileage. The heater actually doesn't operate very much of the total time the engine is running, most of the time it's off. If you can replace it instead of taking it and having it replaced, you'll probably save yourself (or girlfriend) about $250.-$300. at least. Amazon IS the best place to get it and you have the # for the Denso part. If you buy it with the Toyota part# on it, it's definitely gonna cost more for the SAME Denso part.
Old 02-09-11, 03:27 PM
mikep415
Driver

hey thanks a lot guys
Old 02-16-11, 07:47 AM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bearbrew
Mike,
Following is a write-up with photos on replacing the sensor. Denso 234-9009 is the sensor and brand you need for replacement. Amazon.com has been the cheapest place to buy this sensor and in the price range of $110.00 to about $125.00. Bank 1 sensor 1 is the sensor in the aft exhaust manifold. These sensors usually last in the neighborhood of 100,000 miles, some longer some less.
If you go to Lexus or Toyota for replacement be prepared to spend anywhere from $250.00 up before you get out the door.
Yes, there are other sensors available but the electrical values are a little different and this usually leads to fairly short time failure.
The replacement isn't that difficult unless the sensor is seized.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-f...el-sensor.html

Hey, your link isn't working. could you please repost it.
Old 02-18-11, 09:16 AM
mikep415
Driver

hey guys i have another question, I'll be changing my GF's front rotors and brake pads this weekend and was wondering if there was any recommendation for what kind i should get? or would regular autozone pads/rotors do? Also, her car has about 149,XXX and was wondering what type of maintenance should be done? is there any specific coolant i need to use? any info helps, thanks

-mikep
Old 02-25-11, 12:35 PM
mikep415
Driver

Originally Posted by mikep415
hey guys i have another question, I'll be changing my GF's front rotors and brake pads this weekend and was wondering if there was any recommendation for what kind i should get? or would regular autozone pads/rotors do? Also, her car has about 149,XXX and was wondering what type of maintenance should be done? is there any specific coolant i need to use? any info helps, thanks

-mikep
bump for any info
Old 02-25-11, 12:41 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't get autozone pads... Get anything but autozone pads, there pure rubbish... Go to Napa and pick up some semi-metallic pads, do the same for the rotors.
There is specific coolant for the RX, you can pick it up at the Toyota dealer or Lexus dealer.
Old 02-25-11, 12:49 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't heard any bad things about aftermarket rotors as long as they are true. Do yourself a favor and use ceramic pads.

If you read through here the advice is usually to stick with recommended Toyota fluids.

There is a major service at 90k which includes changing the timing belt and usually the waterpump as it is right there when you do the belt. These cars are sensitive to dirty fluids and changing the brake, PS, transmission (drain and refill), radiator will get you a long way toward 300K. These fluids should be changed every 15-30k or two years.

You can go to lexus.com and register as a driver then plug in your car's VIN and get every dealer service record from new. Maintenance is key on these cars.
Old 03-01-11, 11:58 AM
mikep415
Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
I haven't heard any bad things about aftermarket rotors as long as they are true. Do yourself a favor and use ceramic pads.

If you read through here the advice is usually to stick with recommended Toyota fluids.

There is a major service at 90k which includes changing the timing belt and usually the waterpump as it is right there when you do the belt. These cars are sensitive to dirty fluids and changing the brake, PS, transmission (drain and refill), radiator will get you a long way toward 300K. These fluids should be changed every 15-30k or two years.

You can go to lexus.com and register as a driver then plug in your car's VIN and get every dealer service record from new. Maintenance is key on these cars.
cool thanks for the info bro! Love your sig btw!
Old 05-03-11, 09:41 AM
mikep415
Driver

ok so this weekend for shure, the girlfriend will be buying that sensor. If she lags any longer..i'll just buy it!

Anyway, another code P0171=system too lean(bank 1). I will be changing her Oil since she doesnt remember when it was last changed. anyone got that code before? Another thing, there is this buzzing sound below the glove box and it buzzez only when the air is turned on, on a specific mode? anyone experience this?

Quick Reply: NOOBIE and Introduction with Codes and Q's