RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Leather Reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 05:14 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Leather Reconditioning *2012 UPDATE*

UPDATE ON PAGE 5 OF MY SEATS AFTER ABOUT A YEAR AND 4 MONTHS

I am having my 2 front seats reconditioned tomorrow by a local leather re-finisher. I will be posting before and after pictures as soon as I am able to get to a computer tomorrow. My front seats are definitely showing there age, but the back seats look like brand new because no one sits back there. But if anybody else has had there seats reconditioned, show what they look like, or even just to see what they look like after 8-11 years. Just curious.

Last edited by 99rx; 05-23-12 at 02:05 PM. Reason: UPDATE PICTURES
Old 01-24-11, 05:32 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my front seats done last summer. They weren't bad, just 10 years old. No cracks or breaks.

Old 01-24-11, 05:54 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
I am having my 2 front seats reconditioned tomorrow by a local leather re-finisher. I will be posting before and after pictures as soon as I am able to get to a computer tomorrow. My front seats are definitely showing there age, but the back seats look like brand new because no one sits back there. But if anybody else has had there seats reconditioned, show what they look like, or even just to see what they look like after 8-11 years. Just curious.
The real test is not the day after the reconditioning is done. 1yr, 2yr, 3yr after would be the real test.

Salim
Old 01-24-11, 06:33 PM
99rx
Instructor

Carver, those look great for the age. Mine look horrible as you will see tomorrow when i get the pictures up.
Salim, ya I questioned the guy pretty thoroughly and he reassured me that as long as I keep up with the Lexol conditioner it will be good for years to come. But the thing is, I have used Lexol since i bought the car and i guess it didn't do much. 11 years using it and nothing to show for it....
Old 01-24-11, 06:40 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I used the Color Glo guy, I think they are a franchise deal. It's a water based dye and I don't think I would have a problem having it done every couple of years if it needs it.
Old 01-24-11, 08:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I think everybody's RX300 (and probably every other 10 year old Lexus) is in the same boat. The quality of the leather is awful! The problem is the cost of these "professional" repairs - I don't think we would mind paying $300 for a refinishing of the front seats if they would last another 10 years. Unfortunately, as Salim says, who knows how long these vinyl repairs of our leather seats will last. I wish I still lived in Southern California where uphostery shops will replace the leather on the seat bolsters and back bolsters for less than the cost of refinishing!
Old 01-25-11, 02:25 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Start with saddle polish or leather cleaner. It all depends on what your treating.
Stains dry cleaning fluid.
cuts, Olive oil rub into cracks wipe off access.
mould: dubbin or petroleum jelly,Ok to rub in and off wipe off with cloth.
missing chunks: shoe polish.
Finish in saddle polish or commercial leather cleaner.
That is what leather treatment would consist of stripping off the oils and re-penetrating the leather in oils their are no natural oils from the leather itself it was all added all the tans were originally stiff before the tannery ever softened and colored them. so unless the cells have broken down there is a good chance of saving them and making them look good. Leather cleaners leave a residue which protects the leather and generally are a all in one fix.
Old 01-25-11, 08:36 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
... who knows how long these vinyl repairs of our leather seats will last....
No material is added other than a water based dye. The seat is cleaned with denatured alcohol then dyed. There are crack fillers available but I think at that point replacing the bolster would be a better solution.

The cost to re-color is certainly less than replacing the bolster would be. Mine has been done for 7 months now and still looks good. The color matching is incredible and has not faded.

I'll be posting pics of my new wide armrests soon and I'll take a shot of the driver's seat so everyone can see how it's aging.
Old 01-25-11, 09:41 AM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carver
No material is added other than a water based dye. The seat is cleaned with denatured alcohol then dyed. There are crack fillers available but I think at that point replacing the bolster would be a better solution.

The cost to re-color is certainly less than replacing the bolster would be. Mine has been done for 7 months now and still looks good. The color matching is incredible and has not faded.

I'll be posting pics of my new wide armrests soon and I'll take a shot of the driver's seat so everyone can see how it's aging.
I have been following your thread about those and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of those pictures...
Old 01-25-11, 11:40 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 99rx
I have been following your thread about those and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of those pictures...
I've decided to install them myself and had to order a socket extension in order to do it. It should be here this week and I'll take some pics of the process.

I don't know if you saw this pic or not!

Old 01-25-11, 02:10 PM
99rx
Instructor

Yes carver I did see those. You should've just run down to your nearest parts store and pick up an extension. They are cheap...

Here are a couple before pics of the seats I took this morning, but no after shots till tomorrow because it is pouring here right now (Florida of course). And tomorrow I can get better shots with better light.
Attached Thumbnails Leather Reconditioning-012.jpg   Leather Reconditioning-013.jpg   Leather Reconditioning-014.jpg   Leather Reconditioning-015.jpg   Leather Reconditioning-016.jpg  

Old 01-25-11, 02:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow! Yeah, those seats are in pretty bad condition, I'm surprised there that bad. I'll post up pics of my seats, they've never been reconditioned or replaced, only regular leather conditioner every few weeks.
Old 01-25-11, 03:15 PM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by hypervish
Wow! Yeah, those seats are in pretty bad condition, I'm surprised there that bad. I'll post up pics of my seats, they've never been reconditioned or replaced, only regular leather conditioner every few weeks.
and the crazy part is that I have kept Lexol Leather conditioner on it since I bought the car in 2000. And kept a sun shade in the window. I am very **** about how the car is kept and where its kept.
Old 01-25-11, 03:40 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Those seats are rugged, can't wait to see the afters!
Old 01-25-11, 04:55 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Wow - ther ARE bad! Personally, I've never thought much of Lexol products - I've been using Leatherique for the last 10 years and it's kept the leather from drying out and cracking because of this. My RX300 seats have 2 problems: 1) the dye is wearing of on the outside bolster seams, 2) the creases are turning into surface cracks. I've used the water-based dye and that looks OK for a couple of weeks but then gets dirty and worn off within a month.

Quick Reply: Leather Reconditioning