RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Leather Reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 04:13 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Carver, 99RX, Shed:

How are your seat repairs holding up? Do they still look the same or have they begun to crack again?
I will post pictures when I get home this evening.
Old 05-23-12, 02:02 PM
99rx
Instructor

Here are mine. About a year and 4 months later. They were so bad to begin with, I am not surprised that it didn't last. I talked to a local interior guy and he will go ahead and recover the front seats with a high quality, leather like Vinyl and be done with it. Just have to take the time, and money, to do it.

Driver:

Passenger:

And of course my back seats are perfect as no one sits back there... So those never needed it in the first place.
Old 05-23-12, 08:11 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
Here are mine. About a year and 4 months later. They were so bad to begin with, I am not surprised that it didn't last. I talked to a local interior guy and he will go ahead and recover the front seats with a high quality, leather like Vinyl and be done with it. Just have to take the time, and money, to do it.
Yeah, I think that's the route I'm going to take. I want something that will last. I'm just getting the cushion covers replaced as the backs are fine. I'm a little leery of vinyl but I suspect leather will be too expensive (for an older car).
Old 05-23-12, 08:25 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after seen this, I think I will probably give up to recondition my leather seat. It seems unable to refresh like new, so it is better to save the money.
Old 05-24-12, 04:20 AM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by lserlohn
after seen this, I think I will probably give up to recondition my leather seat. It seems unable to refresh like new, so it is better to save the money.
Well if you have the ~$125 to do it, do it. It all depends on the condition of the seat to start with. You saw how bad mine were.
And my local interior guy quoted me roughly $425 to do both front seats with leather like Vinyl. I was weary until I went over to the owners car, who just happens to have a RX300 as well, and sat in it and it was just fine. Over the cost of $995 to do it in leather.....
Old 06-01-12, 01:41 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, did any of you who dyed your seats ever use RO and PC afterwards? I used some last weekend and it took up the nearly 6 month old redye! I am in the process of getting the old dye up now as it looks terrible. I am thinking of the DIY route with leatherique dye. What do you guys think?
Old 06-01-12, 02:11 PM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by m4gicm4tt
Hey guys, did any of you who dyed your seats ever use RO and PC afterwards? I used some last weekend and it took up the nearly 6 month old redye! I am in the process of getting the old dye up now as it looks terrible. I am thinking of the DIY route with leatherique dye. What do you guys think?
Please explain what RO and PC are... Thanks
Old 06-01-12, 04:34 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I am thinking of the DIY route with leatherique dye. What do you guys think?
Don't waste your time with water-based dyes. I tried that and it leaves a sticky surface on the seat which collects dirt and makes the job look far worse than before. I just had a local detail guy redye the seats with a solvent-based dye for $95. Looks great now but I don't think it will hold up. My seats aren't too bad - just dirty creases on both outside seat bolsters - no actual cracks yet.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I really like their Leather Rejuvenator and Prestine Clean products, just not their water-based dyes.

Last edited by sktn77a; 06-01-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 06:34 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone ever think to use any SEM products? Ive used em before and had great results. Going to do my seats soon with their die.
Old 06-01-12, 08:26 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by 99rx
Please explain what RO and PC are... Thanks
Haha sorry I thought you guys would know. I was using my phone to respond so I was trying to be brief. Leatherique RO = rejuvenator oil or leather rejuvenator as it is known now. PC = pristine clean. Sorry about the confusion. I would love to see pics of your new seats when finished.
Old 06-02-12, 08:15 AM
99rx
Instructor

Haha sorry I thought you guys would know. I was using my phone to respond so I was trying to be brief. Leatherique RO = rejuvenator oil or leather rejuvenator as it is known now. PC = pristine clean. Sorry about the confusion. I would love to see pics of your new seats when finished.
Never tried any of that. Figured it would take the dye right off the seats. At this point, there is no need to try to prolong their life any longer. Time for new seats in my opinion. I am a detailer and this kind of thing bugs me every time I get in the car. But oh well, when i have the money, it will get fixed.
Old 06-04-12, 07:49 PM
uw234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shed
Here's the before and after shots using a ColorGlo franchise in Seattle.

There was also a 2" rip on the side of the driver's seat that I hadn't noticed that he fixed. I didn't get a before but here's the after.

Hey Shed, how is it holding up? Still satisfied and all? I also live in Seattle and my RX300 leather could use some attention.

Also, anyone know what this could be? : on my drivers side front surface, around shoulder area, it looks like a thin metal tube/rod is poking in the outward direction from inside the seat. You can push it in with your finger but it pops right back out into place when you let go. It's pushing my leather 'up' about a half inch.
Old 07-03-12, 10:29 AM
Shed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uw234
Hey Shed, how is it holding up? Still satisfied and all? I also live in Seattle and my RX300 leather could use some attention.

Also, anyone know what this could be? : on my drivers side front surface, around shoulder area, it looks like a thin metal tube/rod is poking in the outward direction from inside the seat. You can push it in with your finger but it pops right back out into place when you let go. It's pushing my leather 'up' about a half inch.
Driver's side isn't holding up from all the wear it gets. Passenger side is still fine but it gets about a quarter of the use.
Old 07-03-12, 11:14 AM
99rx
Instructor

Just had mine actually ripped last week as I was out running errands. Guess it's time I make the move and spend the money to get it fixed.
Old 10-29-13, 10:42 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the same guy that did your re-dye fixes rips...He fixed one on my is250 when he was here doing my RX back in the day. (i know this is an old thread!)

Quick Reply: Leather Reconditioning