RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cleaning rust off discs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-02, 02:45 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning rust off discs?

Just wondering what the best way is to clean the rust spots off the discs behind the wheels on the RX? Steel wool? Etc.?
Thanks,
Ck
Old 08-12-02, 06:57 PM
Goncookoo

dude yea, that rust is really getting to me.

i second any suggestions on how to clean that rust off.
Old 08-12-02, 09:34 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

Originally posted by Goncookoo
dude yea, that rust is really getting to me.

i second any suggestions on how to clean that rust off.

I 3rd That!! Any Ideas??
Old 08-12-02, 11:48 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Guys, I think the rust is going to be there because of the humid air and fog. I noticed the rust on the disc after I got my RX. When the new cars are shipped to the dealers, they have a plastic shield to cover the wheels during delivery. Once the bare metal is exposed to the moisture of the air, it'll get rusty.

I experimented with the disc. I used sand paper and sanded the rotating disc. Once it's done, it's nice and silver metal like. I drive for a week or so, and rust comes back.

So, to answer your question, there is no way to get rid of the rust.

Wait... spinteews painted is calipers. Buy some silver paint and paint the middle of the disc rotor. Your brake pads are on both sides so paint the middle silver. I think that'll work.

HarrierRX300
Old 08-13-02, 06:08 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by HarrierRX300
Guys, I think the rust is going to be there because of the humid air and fog. I noticed the rust on the disc after I got my RX. When the new cars are shipped to the dealers, they have a plastic shield to cover the wheels during delivery. Once the bare metal is exposed to the moisture of the air, it'll get rusty.

I experimented with the disc. I used sand paper and sanded the rotating disc. Once it's done, it's nice and silver metal like. I drive for a week or so, and rust comes back.

So, to answer your question, there is no way to get rid of the rust.

Wait... spinteews painted is calipers. Buy some silver paint and paint the middle of the disc rotor. Your brake pads are on both sides so paint the middle silver. I think that'll work.

HarrierRX300
Harrier - a good suggestion, but I'm a little nervous about putting any paint on the discs... not sure it'll last, plus I don't really want to have it near the brake pads. I think I'm going to try steel wool and see how that works - if the rust comes back in a week, I'll just rub it off again... I'll just do it whenever I apply tire wet (which is probably weekly - yes, I AM that **** about it )...
I'll post how it comes out -
ck
Old 08-13-02, 08:49 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Answers

Stainless steel or ceramic rotors.
Old 08-13-02, 09:33 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldn't reco. putting any paint on the discs. If it is the part on the rotors where the lug nut posts are, then i would just paint that silver. Uusally, rust on the disc itself can be taken away w/ some moderate braking but it sounds like this doesn't work for u. (if it is the rear discs, mabye rive w/ the parking brake on for a lil while??? )
Old 08-13-02, 10:13 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to offend anyone... but are you guys serious? If you understand how brakes work, then you understand why there will be rust. And any attempt to "fix" this other than replacing the discs with a non-rusting material is pointless, and would last all of a few days until the rust reforms.

Paint the discs? uhhh, are we clear about how brakes work

Last edited by RX300TC; 08-13-02 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-13-02, 10:20 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RX300TC
I don't mean to offend anyone... but are you guys serious? If you understand how brakes work, then you understand why there will be rust. And any attempt to "fix" this other than replacing the discs with a non-rusting material is pointless.
Yes, I understand how brakes work... I understand that their very mechanics is what causes the rust... that does NOT mean that I enjoy looking at the rust. A brief scrub with a steel wool pad would probably take care of a good part of the cosmetics as a temporary fix, much like tire wet spray as I mentioned earlier. If it takes me 5 minutes and looks better than it did before, then yes, I am very serious. But to paint a disc would be a mistake in my opinion, and could actually cause more harm than good.
Old 08-13-02, 01:33 PM
white01
Driver

Paint the disc LOL you guys are too funny! I find that hilarious. If you do, I suggest you test out your increased braking performance on an old abandoned air field first

Last edited by white01; 08-13-02 at 01:34 PM.