RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300: Which Aux-In solution have you installed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 08:18 AM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX300: Which Aux-In solution have you installed?

I've read the numerous threads on hacks to create Aux-In ports on Lexus's.

Specifically for the RX300 community, I'm wondering which solutions people have performed and what their thoughts are?
Old 01-10-11, 12:05 PM
Emilaman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best AUX for Lexus is Car Cassette Tape Player Converter 3.5mm. They r like couple bucks on ebay. Or you can get FM transmitter, but cassette type is better
Old 01-10-11, 01:22 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I hardwired an FM Modulator, and it works great... I made a post of it here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...8286-ipod.html

Last edited by hypervish; 01-11-11 at 05:01 PM. Reason: changed transmitter to modulator
Old 01-11-11, 02:41 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
I hardwired an FM Transmitter, and it works great... I made a post of it here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...8286-ipod.html
It's still FM, and will be frequency response challenged in terms of fidelity. It will only sound as good as a really strong/good radio station (30 Hz to 15 kHz). I'm currently using a good Motorola FM transmitter for playing MP3's from my phone, while it is static free, it's definitely not as good as the original source with loss of high-end crispness and low-end punch.
Old 01-11-11, 02:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX300TC
It's still FM, and will be frequency response challenged in terms of fidelity. It will only sound as good as a really strong/good radio station (30 Hz to 15 kHz). I'm currently using a good Motorola FM transmitter for playing MP3's from my phone, while it is static free, it's definitely not as good as the original source with loss of high-end crispness and low-end punch.
Of course it'll lose audio quality, but an FM modulator is the most effective alternative to the cassette adapter. You can't expect CD quality from FM, because as you said it's still FM. lol...

Last edited by hypervish; 01-11-11 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 04:19 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I've had a lot of problems with cassette adapters on logic/solenoid-controlled, in-dash decks. On most of them, because there is no tape drag on the tension spindles, they tend to race around and crap out the motor or the belt in no time. They also have a tendency to jam in these decks. If you can position the Ipod optimally, the Itrip FM modulator works OK. Nothing is a substitute for a hard-wired install, though, and this usually looses you the CD changer.
Old 01-11-11, 04:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I've had a lot of problems with cassette adapters on logic/solenoid-controlled, in-dash decks. On most of them, because there is no tape drag on the tension spindles, they tend to race around and crap out the motor or the belt in no time. They also have a tendency to jam in these decks. If you can position the Ipod optimally, the Itrip FM modulator works OK. Nothing is a substitute for a hard-wired install, though, and this usually looses you the CD changer.
I believe you meant FM transmitter and I meant to say modulator...lol we mixed those words up... The FM modulator is hard-wired in, it connects into the back of the radio antenna port, and the car's antenna goes into the modulator. So your basically putting a switch in-between the radio and the car antenna.
Old 01-11-11, 06:03 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
Of course it'll lose audio quality, but an FM modulator is the most effective alternative to the cassette adapter. You can't expect CD quality from FM, because as you said it's still FM. lol...
Umm, that's not what you said here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5704776-post4.html

"it sounds the exact same as a CD would."

Jus' saying...
Old 01-11-11, 06:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX300TC
Umm, that's not what you said here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5704776-post4.html

"it sounds the exact same as a CD would."

Jus' saying...
I said it SOUNDS the exact same, I didn't say it is the same... Pay more attention next time!
Old 01-12-11, 05:03 AM
Leines
Pole Position

I also have a hard wired fm modulator... the ant goes into a box..and out comes a wire that goes into the back of the stock stereo.... it only work on one or two different fm stations..and i can say.. its hard wired... my ant is pure garbage but i also get 100% clean good quality signal from it... I have my iphone connected and there is no issues with signal loss or interferance... i have the box wired to a switch, and when the box is powered on its impossible to get any other radio signal except the aux plug.. but when i turn off the switch my am/fm works fine.....
Old 01-12-11, 11:27 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I spent $1.29 including delivery for a Tape mp3 adaptor and it is the best $1.29 i have ever spent in my life. Sure it isn't the best but it is better than my fm modulator a lot louder and clearer.
Old 01-13-11, 01:18 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Australian
I spent $1.29 including delivery for a Tape mp3 adaptor and it is the best $1.29 i have ever spent in my life. Sure it isn't the best but it is better than my fm modulator a lot louder and clearer.
I used to rock one of these..and the sound quality is good... my problem is the goofy looking wires that coming out the middle of the dash.... it would drive me absolutely nuts... if you get a hard wired modulator... not that crap you plug into the cigarette lighter.. you get the same quality as the tape id say, and its a bit better hidden and seamlessly installed....
Old 01-13-11, 10:42 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Leines
I used to rock one of these..and the sound quality is good... my problem is the goofy looking wires that coming out the middle of the dash.... it would drive me absolutely nuts... if you get a hard wired modulator... not that crap you plug into the cigarette lighter.. you get the same quality as the tape id say, and its a bit better hidden and seamlessly installed....
I have a hard wired fm modulator with my DVD headrests. The reality is metal Tape is better than fm radio so the tape adapter works better than the modulator.
Old 01-14-11, 05:51 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Australian
I have a hard wired fm modulator with my DVD headrests. The reality is metal Tape is better than fm radio so the tape adapter works better than the modulator.
If your fm modulator is the same as mine then its hard metal wired as well... when mine is powered on, i cant tune any other signal except the set one for the modulator... i dont think its actually even using any fm signal.. i dont see how it wouldnt be the exact same quality sound...since both are wired to the same sound system. and both sources are wired very similar.
Old 01-15-11, 06:43 AM
davidyal
Driver

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

I tried a casette adapter, but for some reason the tape deck spits out the adapter after 10 seconds of play. I'm not sure if it is a defective tape adapter or defective stereo unit, but am abandanong that for now. Also, I agree with the poster about the ugly wire hanging down....

I ordered a Sirius XM hardwire FM modulator, and will install that soon. Sound quality will be good enough for my needs. Only negative is that it will cause additional use of the antenna going up and down, which is already delicate in a 8 yr old car. (A true hardwire aux-in would bypass the antenna totally).

My next item is to figure out how to remove the U-shaped wood trim. Does anyone have a video of that? I was able to test and pry part of it out, but am unsure where exactly the clips are and how to safely "unclip".

Quick Reply: RX300: Which Aux-In solution have you installed?