RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replace RX300 Speakers - After Market Speakers for 1999

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 09:50 AM
DMM100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace RX300 Speakers - After Market Speakers for 1999

I am looking for suggestions for aftermarket speakers for my 1999 (pioneer) RX300.

What size speakers do I need? What are the great sounding speakers that I can easily install myself using by swaping out the old speakers for the new.

Installation tips on how to remove door panels and install speakers. And tips and reccommendations on adding a new sub.

Thanks, DMM100
Old 12-22-10, 12:36 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bump...i too would like to know this
Old 12-23-10, 04:29 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Rx has 6.5 inch speakers in the doors...although the stock system was pretty good...wouldnt really suggest switching them. What type of music do you listen to and what results are you expecting...in the end just changing the speakers and changing the amp isnt going to make it louder or provide more bass. What I did was I added a bass tube in the back and now on the head unit I keep the bass at almost completely negative (letting the bass tube's amp produce the bass) which allows my head unit amp to produce mids and highs loudly at minimal distortion from trying to produce bass.
Old 12-24-10, 01:19 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i listen to industrial metal which use high mids and treb, with some bass.
what kind of bass tube do you have and what brand would you recommend?
Old 12-24-10, 10:13 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
the Rx has 6.5 inch speakers in the doors...although the stock system was pretty good...wouldnt really suggest switching them. What type of music do you listen to and what results are you expecting...in the end just changing the speakers and changing the amp isnt going to make it louder or provide more bass. What I did was I added a bass tube in the back and now on the head unit I keep the bass at almost completely negative (letting the bass tube's amp produce the bass) which allows my head unit amp to produce mids and highs loudly at minimal distortion from trying to produce bass.
I would recommend this route.
As designing a stereo could be done but it requires a blank canvas so to speak.
To improve on what is stock eg: using stock deck and amp replacing the speaker would be pointless as they are likely perfectly functional. Adding a higher wattage speaker wont make it louder or clearer without adding more power.

If you decided that you wanted more power after adding a bass amp and decided you needed more midrange and tweeters i would recommend that you run a mirror system with a mixer. With the mixer you can lift the levels once maxed out standard sound on one channel and on another channel mix the new sound system in with a graphic to control the main volume and then to electronic crossovers if you want to get technical before the amplifiers.
Mount tweeters in ceiling and either adding speaker pods to the doors or some speaker boxes under the seats and over the rear luggage area but use only components as if you don't it will be going backwards. If you keep frequencies separate you can control the volume to each speaker using electronic crossover before it is amplified if using the manufactures crossovers you amplify all the frequencies even the ones you never use. If you use electronic crossover networks you amplify only the frequency you use. If it is about max volume and max clarity you may wish to read more on it.

The main thing i am trying to say is a mini mixing desk that allows you to run the two stereos at same time will be the basis of your new build.
The easiest route is add a sub and be happy.
Old 12-25-10, 07:48 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stereo is stock, except they rerouted the woofer.. to the back... I run an alpine mono block amp, with a single ported alpine 10" s-type i believe... it pounds loud enough on the bass tracks the mirror goes blurry... its clear as a bell if you turn the bass down to -5 and the treb and mid to +5 in the stock stereo... i listen to rap hip-hop. but daily drive to the local rock station... and its good all the way thru..... next step is a fresh install with that single din kit of a clarion nz500, but i might still just keep the stock speakers...they dont sound that bad at all... i seen somewhere a diagram for what wires were what speaker i think....