RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ASAP HELP NEEDED... Tranny Stuck and I can not shut the ignition off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 01:58 PM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASAP HELP NEEDED... Tranny Stuck and I can not shut the ignition off!

We just got a foot or more of snow here in Minnesota. And it is about -10!

After getting my truck unburied from the snow bank, I drove about an hour and when I went to stop and park the transmission would not go into park. I thought no problem, I will just put it in nuetral and pull the key out. Nope key will not come out and the ignition will not shut off (car will but elctric still on) I put slight pressure and kind of forced it into park and the key would not come out. At this point I tried to start it back up and it would not start either. I pressed the side button very hard and got it out of park and into nuetral and drove all the way back home.

Could there just be snow and ice jammed underneeth on some linkages? Can I craw underneath and get a wrench on something and manually shift this thing? Maybe a linkage is bent?

Or is this in the shifting column itself? Please do not tell me it's the tranny...

I may just pull the battery cable off since i cannot get the key out or shut the ignition off.

Thank you all my Lex friends for your help now and in the past!
Old 12-12-10, 03:47 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is a very bad idea to remove the battery when the engine is running. You could generate a voltage spike that could damage very expensive electronics. I would try to cut off the air (either by trying to stuff up the exhaust pipe or removing the air cleaner and blocking off the air intake there.

Three of the alternatives for shutting down an engine are cutting off air, fuel, or spark. (I don't think jamming something into the belts would be a good idea either) I don't know of any fuel hose to pinch, and the spark system is pretty distributed.

I seem to recall there is some sort of shifter over-ride release, so you might want to check your owner's manual or call the Lexus toll-free telephone number.

Maybe you could take it inside to a service station garage or somewhere, so that the ice and snow underneath could melt. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 12-12-10, 04:16 PM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, The engine does shut off. I just can't get the key to turn all the way back to off. Nav and clock etc. stay on. If I leave it this way I will have a dead battery in the am. Thanks though. I've tried the little release key thing next to the shifter. no luck. the shifter moves freely everywhere but park.
Old 12-12-10, 04:37 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It's sounds like a linkage. The good news is it's DEFINITELY NOT the trans.
Old 12-12-10, 05:00 PM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bob and Hyp...
Great news... Did I mention the snow. While I was waiting for responses I went out to start it up to make sure the battery was not draining. Towed a neighbor out os the snow (car still works, I just could not put in part or completly shut off or remove keys). So I ended up pulling out 5 cars. Really bad storm here in Minneaplois Minnestota. Anyway, I went to put it in the garage and it went into park... So after driving 150 miles round trip today my thoughts are something was frozen. It would not have thawed on the trip north and back because of below zero weather and doing 75 down the highway.
By pulling the cars out, I'm sure the tranny and tranny case warmed up and whatever was froze unfroze.
If anyone has a picture of the linkage I would be greatful as I could check that out and make sure nothing is binding etc.

Thanks again!
Old 12-12-10, 06:58 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't think the interlock is supposed to be able to do that, but worth a shot.