RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sirius satellite radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-02, 07:58 AM
dswallow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius satellite radio installation

I've been searching high and low for a report about anybody installing a Sirius (or even XM) satellite radio in their RX300 before having one installed in mine, and having found very very few, thought I'd share my experiences for the next poor soul trying to figure out what to do.

Last night I stopped by a local Circuit City store and had a Jensen SSR2000 installed. I've only had it less than 24 hours so far, so I can't offer too much in the way of a performance review, but here's how the install went...

There's a rather limited number of places the unit can be installed so it's hidden away. In the end, we managed to put it up under the drivers side dashboard area, and the FM modulator is stuck in behind the drivers side right panel cover near the navigation/radio system. It was a bit too big to put in the rear left side compartment next to the spare tire, and they'd already run the wiring on the left side, so using the first aid kit compartment wouldn't have been convenient. There was no room under any seat, and I didn't want it blocking the cargo area floor in any way.

They ran the antenna cable from rear roof, through one of the holes for the existing wiring, across the roof to the left side of the vehicle (under the molding of course), down the side, and then along the floor (under the molding across each door).

The install took almost 2 hours, mostly because of the various delays while trying to figure out where to put the unit. It's pretty small but just didn't fit anywhere they're used to putting it, like under the rear seat or behind some side panel. It almost appeared there would've been room to place it on top of the radio, under the navigation display, but fixing it in place might've been troublesome.

Once somebody creates a device to connect it directly in with the CD changer input to the audio system, I'll definately switch over to it, but the FM modulator is acceptable. It has a gain control, so I was able to get the signal level up to approximately where the CD volume level is.

The display/remote control on the Jensen is something like a CB microphone shaped box on a coiled cord. It's currently placed below the radio on the center console. It's not normally visible there, but it is accessible easily enough. I thought I might build a custom bracket so it can rotate out and be viewed without picking it up out of the cradle, though it would interefere a bit with the center console drawers when it was in that position.

In the limited driving I've done since it was installed, it's performed pretty well. I live in central NJ, near the shore, and last night we had a serious thunderstorm move through just as my install was finished, and the signal came through just fine all during the storm. I've noticed that when there's a double overpass that I go under I almost always lose signal for about a second. Going through a toll plaza (with EZPass, so I'm not stopping), I lose signal about half the time. I've not found any relation yet to why I sometimes lose it and why I sometimes don't. I'd guess it's just the direction of the satellite at the time and whether it's being blocked from above at the plaza, or visible from ahead or behind.

Major kudo's to the installation folks at Circuit City who worked on it till about 10:45pm, a good hour and 15 minutes past their regular closing. I'm going to have to write a nice thank-you letter to Circuit City for that one.

I chose the Jensen because of the style of the display/control unit. There's so few places to mount anything around the dash, that it lent it self to mounting somewhere better than the other options which required placing a rectangular display somewhere on a panel. I'd have willingly paid a serious amount more money to have it integrated with the navigation display, but, alas, Lexus/Toyota seems a bit behind in reacting to satellite radio availability.

I have the 2001 RX300 SilverSport.

As to the inevitable "why Sirius, why not XM?" question... simple... if I'm going to pay for satellite radio, I have no intention of paying to hear commercials mixed in with music on music stations. Period. And Sirius has a couple music stations more focused on my particular preferences than XM (e.g.; channel 25 - First Wave, it's like reliving my early 20's -- and also like someone is broadcasting my vinyl collection via satellite). I note a lot of comments around various newsgroups and forums on how XM sounds more "professional", mostly referring to their lengthy but stylish channel jingles and, I guess more DJ-announced stuff. Well, that's nice, but I want music, not jingles. And I want music, not DJ's. To me, it's far more professional for satellite radio to offer more of what I'm paying for, not self-promotion and commercials.

I didn't exactly research this at length, but it seemed the Sirius add-on equipment tended to offer RCA-outs moreso than the XM equipment (which would have the FM modulator built-in and not offer RCA-outs), and I did want the flexibility to easily switch if someone ever came out with an interface to put satellite radio inbetween the audio system & the CD changer inputs.

Final cost: $149 for the receiver, $80 for the antenna, $22 for a cable, $15 for the FM modulator, $100 for installation of everything, $40 for 2-year coverage on the receiver and the antenna, $121 for activation and a year's service with Sirius (9 months paid, 3 months free special offer). There's a $30 mail-in rebate on the Terk antenna.

---
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com
Old 08-06-02, 12:22 AM
nerdspeed
Rookie

I myself went through the same thing as you, trying to decide between the xm and the sirius. I eventually chose the xm after going to several car stereo places. I agree w/ you about commercials, but I kinda wanted to go w/ the more mainstream XM. It seems like they're growing, and not all of their stations have commercials.

I also went w/ a fm modulator ( pioneer unit ). Since my RX doesn't have heated seats ( i live in LA ), I put the pioneer display there, fits perfectly. I'll post up pics when i got time. My antenna is in the same spot as yours, right on the roof near the trunk. Place that installed it was known for the great installations, and I can vouch for that ( even though they're a bit pricey).

Only problem I had w/ XM so far is Pioneer. After about 2 weeks after activation my unit died on me. The receiver was dead so Ihad to return it to pioneer. All I can say is that Pioneer has the worst customer service and I probably won't buy anything made by them again because of that. Other than that, XM is great for me. They're getting more channels and I'm pleased with the service.
Old 10-02-02, 12:03 AM
Lucent
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Got XM and LOVE IT
Old 10-02-02, 03:09 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

i have xm....had it for about 6 months now. i have it hooked up straight to my pioneer head unit thru the ip bus (digital connection) no fm modulation needed here.....no need for rca's either =)

xm is great except when you get near a tall building and lose the signal doh!!!
Old 01-15-03, 04:19 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well..

I went with Sirius... the Kenwood unit with FM Modulator and LOVE IT! I refuse to pay for commercials so that was my deciding factor most of all. Plus I am very happy with the music selection!

The quality is great compared to FM! ...almost as good as my CDs but not quite.....

Also, XM has a strong foothold with GM... which turned me off because it says to me that there will be more commercials instead of less... Sirius has agreements with more of the higher end Auto Mfgrs and that sounded good to me...

....but on the flip side, XM does have a stronger foothold with being first to market and the GM agreement so I can understand why many folks choose XM... ...just not me
Old 01-16-03, 07:59 PM
Bendra
Driver School Candidate

I got XM because Sirius wasn't out yet. The music channels I use seem to have no commercials (but they do promote other XM stations on every channel). I got a portable unit so that I could use it in the car and at 2 separate homes. Adding XM to my smooth-riding RX300 and the 6.5 hr. commute between NYC and Virginia is a pleasure.
Old 11-28-07, 08:27 PM
oriveradel
Driver School Candidate

Default I got xm... I added an aux input to rx300

check it out!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...tellite&page=3