RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ridiculous Mitsubishi Ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-02, 10:48 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous Mitsubishi Ripoff

Could the similarity between Mitsubishi's Outlander and the RX's tail lights be any more obvious? I mean c'mon guys...get your own design! Look at the Nissan Murano. Nissan sucked it up and designed their own different style of SUV and it kicks the Outlander's ***. Seriously, get some new designers Mitsu.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/2003ou...r/photos.html#

Okay, now hopefully I have you riled up...my rant is over
Attached Thumbnails Ridiculous Mitsubishi Ripoff-mitsu.jpg  
Old 08-02-02, 01:05 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

HAHAH damn thats CARzy lol

mabby the traded blueprints with lexus so the gx would be able Kinda look like the mitso also lol
Old 08-02-02, 01:11 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

lol o ya, they also have the tail lights in ALL read, kinda like those altezzas but in red form... you only get the lexus style if you get the top of the line lol but ya hehe

i gonna try to test drive it if i have time, i just want that cool cd hehe, cool music in it lol and $15 gas card for the lex HAHHAHA
Old 08-02-02, 05:23 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by spinteews
lol o ya, they also have the tail lights in ALL read, kinda like those altezzas but in red form... you only get the lexus style if you get the top of the line lol but ya hehe

i gonna try to test drive it if i have time, i just want that cool cd hehe, cool music in it lol and $15 gas card for the lex HAHHAHA
I signed up for that too
Old 08-02-02, 09:59 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's going to be great...Showing up in an RX 300 to test-drive the
Mitsu...

"Nice car...No thanks, but...how do I get the CD and $15 gas certificate?"
Old 08-05-02, 08:08 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

It may have the taillights, but the rest of the car still looks kind of like the Pontiac ***-Tek to me. And yeah, the GX does make me think of a Montero in the back.

I'm surprised they didn't put taillights like that on the Kia Sorento and finish the job of ripping off the looks of the RX.
Old 08-05-02, 08:28 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RX300_ATL
It may have the taillights, but the rest of the car still looks kind of like the Pontiac ***-Tek to me. And yeah, the GX does make me think of a Montero in the back.

I'm surprised they didn't put taillights like that on the Kia Sorento and finish the job of ripping off the looks of the RX.
OMG... the Sorento looks exactly like a Hyundai Santa Feces trying to be an RX300... lol
Old 08-06-02, 08:13 AM
white01
Driver

OMG... the Sorento looks exactly like a Hyundai Santa Feces trying to be an RX300... lol
I swear the Korea Automakers are going to keep trying, Kia is owned by Hyundai and they are doing their collective best to copy the designs of everybody: Sedona -Windstar; XG-300/Sonata - all types of stuff- Bentley, Jag, Mercedes, you name it. Sorento- I don't even have to say it.

I took the liberty of visting the site from the link RX300TC provided. They have fired a shot right across the bow of the RX. I had no idea they were that intent on copying the RX so closely.
simple specs. RX KIA
Length:180.1 179.8
Width : 71.5 73.3
Ground Clear: 7.7 8.3
Engine: 3.0Liter 3.5liters
H/P : 220/222 192/217
Tow Cap: 3500 3500
AWD AWD w/Low Range transfer case
tire size: 225/70/16 245/70/16
rim width: 6.5 7.0

I'm not going through the whole list you get the picture, but they are probably going to sell a *****L**d of these knockoffs, like fake Fendi Bags in New York.
Old 08-06-02, 08:22 AM
white01
Driver

Please excuse the list, as it came through a little jumbled up. RX specs on the left, Kia on the right.
Old 08-06-02, 08:27 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... there is a huge difference in the overall vehicles... it's like folks who rather buy a Highlander than a Rx300... both are fine vehicles... but there sooo many "little" things that make owning a RX300 a better experience.

The Kia uses a "ladder frame" construction... this alone will give it a harsher ride, but will in fact make it more off-road worthy. Also, I gurantee the interior materials will just be "cheap" overall.

And all the "10-year" warranties aren't worth crap if ya can't get parts! I've heard sooo many horror stories from Santa Fe owners that have to wait forever for warranty service... these same owners brag about how they saved thousand$ by buying a Santa Feces instead of an RX300... I guess the laff is on them! Kia has even worse parts distribution...

I've had my fill of domestic and import cheap econo garbage... once you go Lexus, you never go back
Old 08-06-02, 09:18 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Toyota vs Lexus

For all the talk about how the RX is a Camry based or how the Camry and ES are the same...well...

I am driving a Camry for the last 1 week (my baby is in the body shop) and its nothing like a Lexus. I have driven the dealers loaner ES too and I have felt the difference between Camry and ES.

Before this Camry my loaner was a Dodge Stratus- costs the same as the current Camry: am surprised people pay $ for that POS!
Old 08-06-02, 01:19 PM
white01
Driver

Well... there is a huge difference in the overall vehicles... it's like folks who rather buy a Highlander than a Rx300... both are fine vehicles... but there sooo many "little" things that make owning a RX300 a better experience
I'm with you on that. It's obviously a compromise, as opposed to having the original. But rest assured they will move a lot of em'

I always believe you get what you pay for in most cases. For instance I'm a die hard bimmer fan if you as me why I now have a Benz long story. But in the case of the RX vs. say an X5, your're paying quite a few more dollars for an X5. It should be superior in all aspects, especially reliability right? Overall I 'm sure I would prefer the X5, but the problems would seriously turn me off. A few years back, we actually went through lemon law proceedings on a then new "96" BMW 328 Sport. Before it went to arbitration BMW conceded and actually put us in a new "97" 328 Sport with every available option for not a penny more. I think in this case it was that we had a bad car, It wasn't indicative of the quality of all 328's. With X-5's it seems to be slightly different, as most people report having some significant problems.

RX's aren't totally immune either what's up with the brake pad clop, among others-not excluding those cheap @ss Good Years as standard. You would'nt expect that from a high-line brand.

I say give the Koreans another 10 years and see where they're at. 30 years ago folks were looking at the Japanese in the same light.
Old 08-06-02, 01:31 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Man, now I'm happy I kept my 99 RX lights and didn't upgrade to the 2001's. At least there's only one set of 99 lights around and no mitsu has it haha
Old 08-06-02, 02:36 PM
white01
Driver

Originally posted by NVMYGS3

Man, now I'm happy I kept my 99 RX lights and didn't upgrade to the 2001's. At least there's only one set of 99 lights around and no mitsu has it haha
Damn! you got us on that one
Old 08-09-02, 06:50 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

I came across the Car and Driver magazine and noticed that the stupid Mitsu Outlander had a similar lights to the RX300 and I then looked at the article and saw that even the editor hated it too. I think the other *** company better back off on copying the RX300 since they cannot make good designs on their own!

Quick Reply: Ridiculous Mitsubishi Ripoff