RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door lock actuator motor replaceable???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 02:18 AM
2002RX300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Door lock actuator motor replaceable???

Hello all, well it looks like my front driver's side door actuator is bad, since the key remote doesn't lock or unlock it anymore but works on all the other doors.

I've been reading about the cheap replacement actuator motor but was wondering more about whether or not the factory installed door lock actuator could be opened then just replace the little motor inside instead.

Is it possible to open these door lock actuators and just replace the motors instead of buying a whole new actuator? I don't want to go through the hassle of tearing mine apart if it isn't even possible.
Old 11-21-10, 12:27 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002RX300
Hello all, well it looks like my front driver's side door actuator is bad, since the key remote doesn't lock or unlock it anymore but works on all the other doors.

I've been reading about the cheap replacement actuator motor but was wondering more about whether or not the factory installed door lock actuator could be opened then just replace the little motor inside instead.

Is it possible to open these door lock actuators and just replace the motors instead of buying a whole new actuator? I don't want to go through the hassle of tearing mine apart if it isn't even possible.
It can be done and has been done. That's the good news, now for the bad news. You may have a very hard time finding the motor. It has been available from time to time, but no telling whether you'll be able to luck out and find a source for it or not. I found a source once for $1. ea., but you had to buy 100 of them, or maybe it was 1000, but way to many, I know that. The shell of the actuator also wasn't made to come apart. it is electrofused together. I cut 4 of them apart on my DIL's RX and Super Glued them back together, but my suggestion is to go the "piggy back" method. Cheap and easily obtainable and really not that hard to do. My suggestion is to buy multiple (2, 3, 4) because they are so cheap, then you'll have them when the next one goes bad. You can buy them as cheap as $3. or $4. apiece.

Also, the original actuator has to be left in place even if a "piggy back" is used because there is more that it does (and needs to continue to do) than just lock and unlock the door.
Old 11-21-10, 02:45 AM
2002RX300
Rookie

Damn. Thanks code58. I was afraid that the actuator wouldn't easily open. So the piggyback option would be the best bet, working as good if not better than the original actuator? I read all the stories of the OEM actuator costing upwards of $400-500, so this sounds like the only viable option.
Old 11-21-10, 08:57 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently replaced passenger side actuator and found the whole actuator from ebay about $220.
Old 11-21-10, 11:51 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2002RX300
Damn. Thanks code58. I was afraid that the actuator wouldn't easily open. So the piggyback option would be the best bet, working as good if not better than the original actuator? I read all the stories of the OEM actuator costing upwards of $400-500, so this sounds like the only viable option.
That is more than likely an installed price at an independent . Probably be about $600.+ installed at a dealer. The lock assy. lists for about $315. + tax. You can buy the lock assy on Ebay for around $200.-$220. plus shipping.
I have installed several "piggy back" set-ups and it depends on how thick your wallet is and how handy you are at doing "non-standard" work like that. I don't think they're bad but someone who wasn't handy or used to doing that kind of work would probably disagree. I installed all 4 on my DIL's RX with donated Ford actuators and that was before anyone figured out how to do this. I couldn't afford the $1300.+ that the dealer wanted for new locks and my son and DIL couldn't either. So it took some time and engineering, but cost me ZERO $. Those actuators are still working perfectly today and it has been 4&1/2 years.
Old 11-22-10, 04:28 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
The lock assy. lists for about $315. + tax. You can buy the lock assy on Ebay for around $200.-$220. plus shipping.
I would think that the discount mail-order Lexus parts places (e.g., Irontoad and several forum sponsors) would be in the same price-range as eBay.
Old 11-23-10, 12:05 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob2200
I would think that the discount mail-order Lexus parts places (e.g., Irontoad and several forum sponsors) would be in the same price-range as eBay.
The discount mail order Lexus sites were for the most part about $15.-$20. higher than Ebay. I didn't check every single one but that was about the average.
Old 11-23-10, 06:59 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check with one of ClubLexus many sponsors! I HIGHLY recommend Sewell lexus. Their prices are great (hint: the lexus OEM actuator is cheaper from them than anywhere online, including fleabay). Plus their customer service is top-notch.

Otherwise, get the generic motors. Do a search and you can find the part number, but iirc it's manufactured by... crap i just forgot as i was typing. It's like Matsubishi or something weird... I can check when I get home. I have 4 left-overs, lol. They're $5 for 5 motors. $5 for shipping. I only replaced one, but it's been solid for 2 years since. Cutting apart the actuator shell and putting it back together isn't that big a deal. I used an exacto knife and super-glue, took 10 minutes.
Old 11-23-10, 07:49 AM
MVLEX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried doing the piggy back but it didn't because these new actuators don't have rods. They have cable and there is no way to connect the rod from the universal actuator to the cable from the lock assembly.
Old 11-24-10, 12:36 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MVLEX
I tried doing the piggy back but it didn't because these new actuators don't have rods. They have cable and there is no way to connect the rod from the universal actuator to the cable from the lock assembly.
MVL- Did you try doing a search? There's an absolute ton of write-up on the "piggy-back" method, also with a lot of pictures. I have personally done 8 of them. I'm not going to waste my time typing when you won't invest yours searching.
Old 11-24-10, 12:58 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=JiBBeL;5951544]HIGHLY recommend Sewell lexus. Their prices are great (hint: the lexus OEM actuator is cheaper from them than anywhere online, including fleabay).[QUOTE]

I have more than just serious doubts about that.
Old 11-24-10, 09:50 AM
MVLEX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
mvl- did you try doing a search? There's an absolute ton of write-up on the "piggy-back" method, also with a lot of pictures. I have personally done 8 of them. I'm not going to waste my time typing when you won't invest yours searching.

I have seen tons of pictures and not one shows exacly where to connect the rod from the piggy back to the latch/lock assembly. Yeah.... Don't waste your time typing. Im going to figure out myself and then i'm going to "waste my time" posting the pictures with detailed instructions in how to do it for those who have same problem and can't figure it out.

thanks....

Last edited by MVLEX; 11-24-10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-24-10, 09:07 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MVLEX
I have seen tons of pictures and not one shows exacly where to connect the rod from the piggy back to the latch/lock assembly. Yeah.... Don't waste your time typing. Im going to figure out myself and then i'm going to "waste my time" posting the pictures with detailed instructions in how to do it for those who have same problem and can't figure it out.

thanks....
MVLEX- Did you do a search??? And WHERE did you do it???

Try this http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...piggyback&st=0
Matter of fact read the whole thing, you may just learn something and may find some pictures to look at too. Check out page page 7, post 96

Here are a few more for you.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...actuators.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-actuator.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...k-problem.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-solution.html

There are a ton more where these came from, all from the search engine. No shortage of pictures either.

Last edited by code58; 11-24-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-07-10, 08:03 PM
2002RX300
Rookie

Question

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Check with one of ClubLexus many sponsors! I HIGHLY recommend Sewell lexus. Their prices are great (hint: the lexus OEM actuator is cheaper from them than anywhere online, including fleabay). Plus their customer service is top-notch.

Otherwise, get the generic motors. Do a search and you can find the part number, but iirc it's manufactured by... crap i just forgot as i was typing. It's like Matsubishi or something weird... I can check when I get home. I have 4 left-overs, lol. They're $5 for 5 motors. $5 for shipping. I only replaced one, but it's been solid for 2 years since. Cutting apart the actuator shell and putting it back together isn't that big a deal. I used an exacto knife and super-glue, took 10 minutes.
Were the generic motors the MABUCHI FC280PC-22125? I sourced them and they are cheap! When you say that you cut apart the actuator, did you in fact cut along some seam that was apparently sealed together? Also, not sure as of yet, but did you have to remove the whole actuator to cut it apart and remove/replace the motor?

I plan on doing this motor replacement instead of the piggyback option, b/c I'm not sure of the longevity of the piggyback option whereas the motor replacement seems it should last as long as the original (8 years) if not longer.

Code58, what were the years of the RX's you did the piggyback option on? Would all the actuator casings be the same for the 1st generation Rx300 99-03? Maybe some actuator casing years are easier to open than others?
Old 12-08-10, 12:04 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

RX- I did 4 on my DIL's '99 RX, 3 on an '01 RX and 1 on an '02 RX. I'm trying to remember what else I've done them on. Those were all piggyback.
All those actuators seemed to be the same. I doubt that any would be easier than any other. The are electro fused on a seam that is in the middle (clam shell wise). They are securely electro fused (Not EVER meant to be opened) but with a sharp knife (kind with the retractable blade) they can be opened FAIRLY neatly. May have a little deviation in the seam, but supper glue back together nicely. The reason I did them the way I did was there was no knowledge the motors were in any way available in May of '06 when I did the 1st ones on my DIL's car. As more of them started to fail, more people were looking for a way not to break the bank in keeping them operational. Then for a time the sources dried up and the only thing I was able to find (I had long since done my DIL's, just wanted to help others) were the correct motors from a surplus inventory seller that would only sell 1000 at a time (for $1. ea.).
May I ask where you have located them? The company (Mabuchi) makes tons of little tiny motors like that but are normally only sold to manufacturers who use them in various rechargeable devices and door locks and such. Nothing at all wrong with replacing the motor, it was just availability issues. It probably is a little more (quite a bit more) work to replace the motor in the actuator. To get it out and in is a little work. One reason I kind of preferred the "piggy back" method is if it eventually goes out, it's MUCH easier to replace.
Yes, you definitely have to remove the actuator, it can't be done in the door.

Quick Reply: Door lock actuator motor replaceable???