RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

nakamichi sound upgrade?

Old 11-08-10, 06:07 AM
Murf1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nakamichi sound upgrade?

I have the nakamichi sound upgrade in my RX but was hoping for more after seeing the option was $1650.00 when new. Dont get me wrong, it is nice but was wondering if there were any suggestions on upgrading the sound. I would prefer to stay with the factory deck unit. How about adding an amp for the system on top of the rated 240W amps that are already in the system (doesnt sound like it though). Has anyone found a nice set up for this? Also, I havent removed the door panels yet to see what kind of speakers came with the car. Are these speakers worth keeping?

I dont want to go nuts or high end on the stereo - just want to do a low $$ (but decent quality) upgrade on the sound.

Suggestions?
Old 11-13-10, 03:20 PM
Murf1
Driver School Candidate

Took the panel off today and was so impressed with the factory Nak speakers, I left them there!

I did remove the Sub box from under the pass front seat and steal the signal and run it to a 8" sub tube in the back where it puts out a stronger bass.
Old 11-13-10, 06:49 PM
KMRX300
Driver School Candidate

I also have Nakamichi system but bass is really bad. I was also thinking of upgrading speakers if that makes sense. I dont want to change the factory deck unit.

What are the options?
Old 11-14-10, 05:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I am looking at dumping the Nakamichi speakers. I already had one go out on my driver's door, but despite a new battery, sound has appeared diminished over the years. I think someone a few years ago put in some in Infinity speakers in place of the existing speakers, but I can't remember the type.
Old 11-16-10, 07:18 AM
Murf1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KMRX300
I also have Nakamichi system but bass is really bad. I was also thinking of upgrading speakers if that makes sense. I dont want to change the factory deck unit.

What are the options?
Originally Posted by Murf1
I did remove the Sub box from under the pass front seat and steal the signal and run it to a 8" sub tube in the back where it puts out a stronger bass.
Try this is all you want is more bass - it helped!
Old 11-16-10, 02:10 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Im pretty sure they did the same thing for my rx.... I have an infinity all in one sub and amp thing in the back... Not sure if the side speakers are still stock or not, if i can remember ill check tomorrow when its daylight again...

Cheers
Old 11-17-10, 08:34 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Does it say Nakamichi on the head unit? Mine says Premium Sound System. Are they the same?
I have an '03 RX AWD.
Thanks.
Old 11-17-10, 08:59 AM
NaijaRx300
Driver School Candidate

Default Please Help !!!

hello all & how's everyone doing'?

Ive got a very annoying and curious problem with Audio System & here it is:

[U]
NO SOUND WEN CD ID PLAYING[/U]

Sound comes out fine (great) from the speakers when I'm playing the Radio or Cassette (yes, I still use the cassette cause there are some music that just don't sound AUTHENTIC if it not played via a cassette). However, wen I activate the CD-Changer, the CD plate starts spinning and the track starts to count but NO SOUND WHAT SO EVER!!!!!....

Has someone here had a similar Problem? Did someone FIND a solution for it?
Please help as I'm stumped

I'll be eagerly awaiting ANY POSITIVE OR ANY FEEDBACK GUYS !!!!!

Thanks
Old 11-18-10, 08:24 AM
Murf1
Driver School Candidate

You have an internal reading issue it sounds like. Best to take it out and find a reputable repair facility that repairs OE decks. Ask to get an estimate first. If its too much $$, you may be better off finding a used factory unit on EBay and using that for a replacement.
Old 11-22-10, 11:46 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Still waiting for an answer. Those of you with the Nakamichi system, does it say it on the head unit. Mine says Premium Sound System and am wondering if it is the same.
Thanks.
Old 11-22-10, 12:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
Still waiting for an answer. Those of you with the Nakamichi system, does it say it on the head unit. Mine says Premium Sound System and am wondering if it is the same.
Thanks.
The Premium Sound System is made by Pioneer. The Nakamichi system's say it on the front.
Old 11-22-10, 01:17 PM
Leines
Pole Position

premium sound by pioneer was the standard sound... the sound upgrade was nakamichi and it said nakamichi on the head unit..
Old 11-23-10, 07:04 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nakamichi was unavailable on the 01+ RX. They were switching to mark levinson after some issues with the nakamichi company. But the 01-03 models didn't have an option for any upgraded sound system, stuck with the Pioneer
Old 11-23-10, 11:59 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Did the nakamichi come with JBL speakers?
Old 11-24-10, 05:58 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Appreciate all the answers. My wife seems to be happy with the Premium/Pioneer system but I would have added a sub if it were my daily driver. All in all not a bad system specially having a cassette which is a rarity these days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nakamichi sound upgrade?