RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX300 Headlight Help Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 08:20 AM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 RX300 Headlight Help Needed...

I have a 2001 rx300. (162k) It seems to have some fancy headlights. My drivers side driving light went out last week. I had to order a special bulb (D2R) which was about $95. I put the bulb in and it will only flicker. Kind of like the old one. Never really goes on.
I can not find a fuse, only a light relay. Please let me know what might be the problem or I will have to take to the dealer which I really cannot afford right now. Thank you so much in advance for your help. i have searched the forum, but think I have a car that might have been ordered with these special HID type lights back in 01'.
Old 11-01-10, 08:30 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the socket is dirty or the contacts have worn enabling the bulb to be loose. Was there any dielectric in the socket area? The dielectric grease will dry out over time and allow corrosion to develop on the contacts. Rub a pencil eraser across the contact to clean them and see if this helps.
Old 11-01-10, 08:42 AM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for that advice. I did scrape the contacts a bit with a flat screwdriver. It does act like it wants to come on. Also, I does have a different blue tint. (Do I need to replace both?) I hope not.

I should also mention this light has moisture in the lens as well?
Old 11-01-10, 08:56 AM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

I just tried the eraser idea. No luck. It seems like there is half power to the bulb. Then I slammed the hood and no power?
Old 11-01-10, 09:13 AM
ivan1
Driver

could it be the ballast itself thats giving you issues, since it is what powers the bulbs?
Old 11-01-10, 09:36 AM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

Red face

I think I should try that. I may even try my old bulb in the other side to verify. Does anyone happen to have a part number on the denso? Maybe I can get at Toyota. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-01-10, 11:05 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

seems like a bad contact or corrosion. If you have an eye to tell corrosion then undo and check each connection. You can wiggle each connector as well with the switch on and maybe by luck you will find out where the problem is.

For this sort of problem, you really do not need to go to Lexus dealership.

Salim
Old 11-01-10, 11:25 AM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

I will check all contacts tonight. I did just look at the bulb conectiona and they look like new. I called lexus and they want over $1,000 for the part. The fact that there is moisture in the lens and I believe the ballast is with in the unit worries me a bit, but I will attempt to pull it apart and see.
Is it easier to pull the whole assembly out? Or how would I find out if someone has replaced a ballast with pictures on this forum. Sorry, I'm new to this forum and a newbie at all forums. I really do like the quick and helpful responses. Thank you all!
Old 11-01-10, 02:21 PM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivan1
could it be the ballast itself thats giving you issues, since it is what powers the bulbs?
+1. Almost willing to bet the ballast is going out.
Old 11-01-10, 04:41 PM
salimshah

First, do you have HIDs? Only then you will have ballasts, Ballasts are outside of the headlights.

What part did you price? You have to be sure that the part is bad before you part with the money. It is worth paying some one $60 or so to some one to diagnose.

Salim
Old 11-01-10, 04:44 PM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
First, do you have HIDs? Only then you will have ballasts, Ballasts are outside of the headlights.

What part did you price? You have to be sure that the part is bad before you part with the money. It is worth paying some one $60 or so to some one to diagnose.

Salim
95% of the time DSr is an HID headlight bulb.
Old 11-01-10, 06:44 PM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

I am told d2r's which I have do run on a ballast. I tried to check the connection beyond the light, and it looks like the ballast is within the unit. I am assuming I will have to pull to check other connections. salimshah, I might take it to a guy, but I live in Mpls and they won't open the garage door for less than $100.00. I think I could get a whole fron clip for less than they want for this part. What about after market kits? Hs anyone tried these. My trouble is I need lights by Thursday. I have high beams, but that would not be cool on a long trip. I would hate to get a fix it ticket. Or worse yet, struck on the drivers side since it is hard to see...
Old 11-02-10, 10:32 AM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salzbj01
I am told d2r's which I have do run on a ballast. I tried to check the connection beyond the light, and it looks like the ballast is within the unit. I am assuming I will have to pull to check other connections. salimshah, I might take it to a guy, but I live in Mpls and they won't open the garage door for less than $100.00. I think I could get a whole fron clip for less than they want for this part. What about after market kits? Hs anyone tried these. My trouble is I need lights by Thursday. I have high beams, but that would not be cool on a long trip. I would hate to get a fix it ticket. Or worse yet, struck on the drivers side since it is hard to see...
Try calling a salvage place in your area and ask for a ballast to fit your car.
Old 11-02-10, 01:23 PM
salzbj01
Driver School Candidate

Thanks BMWBOYEE. I think that is a great idea. I think they also were in a few mazda's
Old 11-03-10, 12:11 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bmwboyee
95% of the time DSr is an HID headlight bulb.
I need some education on this ... sine I have '99 model with regular light bulbs (non-hid).

The headlight assembly should have the self leveling motor. The newer models should have the corner/turn adapter mechanism. It could be the terminology, but the ballast is a coil (resembling a mini-brick). If you buy an after market kit, you have to install it on the fender body. The function of the ballast s to produce high voltage to get the gas to ionize ... same as the ballast in florescent fixtures.

I am having a hard time visualizing how it can be inside of the lamp assembly. It can be attached to the outside of the lamp and sold together..

Debug hint: you can swap bulbs ... left with right and see if the problem moves.

Salim

Quick Reply: 2001 RX300 Headlight Help Needed...