RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My loaner RX ran outta gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Talking My loaner RX ran outta gas

Well, in the ES 300, I can go about 60 miles when the fuel light is on, same as the GS.
Fuel light came on in the RX, no big deal to me. I figure I have 50-60 miles.
WRONG!

After I would say 20 miles, the car started chugging and struggling! I was running outta gas!

Luckily there was a gas station not to far away, but now I learned my lesson, fill the RX UP!
Old 07-26-02, 10:00 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max I got on my rx with the light was 33 miles. at 34 exactly, it was coughing. Luckily, I was less than a milek from my house so I just stopped, parked, and then went home to get some gas for it. Seriously though, toyota/lexus lights come on way early
Old 07-26-02, 01:14 PM
LexFather

It doesn't help that the dealers barely give you any gas to start with. 1SICK, every time I turn around you have a new loaner car
Being SICK, has it's benefits Naw getting some warrenty things done (nothing serious) cause, I paid for the 100k warrenty and I want the car perfect. They take a lil longer but that is okay. A couple of other things too. Hopefully, pics of my interpretation of the GS L-tuned soon.
Old 07-26-02, 01:52 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad always drives as long as possible with the gas light on, it drives me crazy when I am in the car with him!!
Old 07-27-02, 10:41 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I've ran out of gas in my RX before..... It sucks.... Now in my cars I don't let them get below a 1/4 of a tank....
Old 07-27-02, 12:39 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WHat????

Almost every car I've had, the "gas low" light usually comes on about 2-3 gallons left in the tank.

I'm notorious for running on fumes... my wife hates me. When the gas light comes on in the RX I can easily get another 40 to 60 miles, assuming an average 20mpg current performance.

I really push it... and I haven't run out yet. Actually, I take that back, my wife did ... one time I really ran it low and made it home with no problem... although the next day my wife goes to start it. No go. She calls me in the middle of a meeting, I simply say "see that 800 number on the window? Call it." She calls, they come out, throw some gas in it, and then go away. No charge whatsoever.

Gotta love that Lexus customer service... I never have to worry about this vehicle, that's why it's worth the extra $$$

Last edited by RX300TC; 07-27-02 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-27-02, 06:29 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by genearch

I suppose it depends on the dealer... every loan car I've had from my Lexus dealer over the last 10 years hs always had a full tank (same dealer)
Me too.....
Old 07-27-02, 08:43 PM
ShaggyRogers
Driver School Candidate

Default Yo guys!

In my soon to be sold old car ('96 Altima), I sometime would run it until the gas light goes on and then some...

But with my new RX baby...no way! Once it get down to 1/4, I head straight to the gas station.
Old 07-27-02, 08:50 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

My family used to have an Infiniti M30 and I drove it on the gas light for the LONGEST time...days. I did it just to see how long it would go and it wouldn't run out of gas! I eventually just gave up and filled it up. It had to be the longest I've ever driven on a gas light.
Old 07-27-02, 09:16 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb By the light of the gas light...

Took delivery of my RX from the leasing agency - with about a pint of gas on board. Unwilling to trust my luck, I filled up on the way home. When I went in for 1k service, the dealer (throught which the car was procured) took care of the required service, and I mentioned my experience with the agency sending me out with the low fuel light burning. The (Westside Lexus) leasing manager was stunned to hear this, and requested that I bring it in for the 5k service with a near empty tank. They OWED me a tank of gas, she said. They could have ignored me, or blamed the leasing agency, but took the responsibility to make things right. I am still impressed!
Old 07-27-02, 11:43 PM
LexFather

Nick, got tired of the RX, they gave me a 2002 ES 300 with 210 miles on the ******* odometer.....(these guys are okay) now if they fix my ******* car........

I used to love to drive like that, and sometimes I still do, but I noticed at the ClubLexus meets, all the tanks are damn near full, so I have tried to get into the habit to fill up when it's near 1/4 full.
Old 07-29-02, 08:09 AM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexRX

If you ever hear me gripe about the service at Nalley Lexus again you'll know I'm not kidding
I agree, I'm from ATL and Nalley SUCKS! I work near one and when I was shopping for my RX a year ago I went up there, and they wouldn't give me the time of day. I asked to see an RX and the guy pointed to one and said, "There, that one's unlocked" and walked off. Thanks for the assistance! They treated me like a kid out looking at cars that I couldn't afford. (I may have been quite a bit younger than they were, but I guarantee I make more money than that crummy car salesman)

And I asked them about the Silversport edition and they hadn't even heard of it, even though it was featured on the Lexus web site- no excuse for that. And when we talked price their numbers just weren't grounded in reality- "But this is a 38,000 car." "Not if people are paying $35,000 everywhere else." "Well, we could sell you a preowned one for $34,000."

Also, I inquired from their service department about the price for a hitch and they never got back to me.

So yeah, Nalley sucks, which is why I bought mine from Hennessey.