RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

$1800 to fix airbag light on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 06:42 PM
WillRobin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry $1800 to fix airbag light on?

The airbag/pretensioner warning light came on in our 2003 RX300. My wife took it to the local Toyota dealer (Lexus dealer is not local). They said the side airbag in the driver's seat is defective, the entire airbag system would not work while the light was on and the only way to fix it was to replace the seat - which costs $1800!

Now I know that anyone who buys a luxury car has a permanent "SUCKER" tattoo on their forehead for repairs, but this seems extreme to me. Is there really no other way to fix this problem?
Old 10-20-10, 08:05 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Salvage yards?

Shipping charges on the seat can be substantial if you find one a bit far away.

Salim
Old 10-20-10, 08:20 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Tons of them on ebay for cheap. I would trouble shoot the heck out of it before doing any of that stuff. Have you tried the obvious things like disconnecting the battery?
Old 10-21-10, 10:01 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any history of anyone working under your seat or on electronic parts?

I had my airbag light on like 6 months after they fixed the seat issue. who would have thought it has anything to do with the repair. It is sad, but as usual, dealer could not find the problem, and just reset the light. Light came back on after couple hundred miles. I took the car back multiple times, and again they just reset it. I took it back and insisted not to reset it, then these clowns finally decided to wake up to do some work, remove the seat and found a loose connection. As you can see, they made all these lame execuses, we found a box of kleenex under the seat, we found a toy, are you the only driver, do you adjust the seat, on and on. I told them if it was that easy to trigger the light, you should issue a recall and secure the openning properly so that nothing can trigger the airbag light. The seat has power called 'power seat' and they are suggesting not to use it. The same with rear brake clunking noise, taking it back multiple times, until they really fix it. I knew what the problem was, and i had the service bulletin in hand how to fix it. But I don't know about them; maybe they don't want to fix anything that is under warranty, or drag on and suggest brake service, or they are too high to do any work, or to much air in their heads they need to burp. There are other problems, but it was a long story dealing with such people calling themselves 'service first'. seems like they have a long way ahead of them to 'persuit of perfection'
Old 10-21-10, 10:36 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Lexina I totally understand your frustration.. specially when it is under warranty or more so when you are close to end of the warranty period.

But..

This is a case when you have to put yourself in the other person shoes. I claim my self to be a DIYer and can vouch that intermittent problems are very hard to find and fix. One has to be lucky or have deep pockets where you keep replacing one thing after another till the problem goes away.

When I do the work myself, I am **** about things like tension/strain relief, fresh washers where needed, puling the plugs without pulling the wires, making sure things are not bent/twisted etc. By the way that is the reason I do not trust other mechanics touching my vehicle. I should, but I dont.

At the same time, your expectations are correct, specially when you have parted with serious amount of cash and expect trouble free service.

Salim
Old 10-21-10, 01:44 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was trying to help the OP with my airbag light situation triggered by just the loose connections and may have over-vented; my bad, and I didn't mean to disrespect anyone.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Lexina I totally understand your frustration.. specially when it is under warranty or more so when you are close to end of the warranty period.

But..

This is a case when you have to put yourself in the other person shoes. I claim my self to be a DIYer and can vouch that intermittent problems are very hard to find and fix. One has to be lucky or have deep pockets where you keep replacing one thing after another till the problem goes away.

When I do the work myself, I am **** about things like tension/strain relief, fresh washers where needed, puling the plugs without pulling the wires, making sure things are not bent/twisted etc. By the way that is the reason I do not trust other mechanics touching my vehicle. I should, but I dont.

At the same time, your expectations are correct, specially when you have parted with serious amount of cash and expect trouble free service.

Salim