RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Worth stepping up to 235 from 225 with new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-02, 02:07 PM
FCobra94
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Worth stepping up to 235 from 225 with new tires?

I'm getting Michelin CT's in the next couple days and just wanted to be positive that I was going with the best sized tire for the RX. I know it's been mentioned before but I just waned to make sure that it is/isn't a go thing to do.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by FCobra94; 07-22-02 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 11:55 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to replace my Integricraps before winter also and want to confirm that a Michelin CT 235x70-16 on the OEM rims will fit in the spare tire area without a problem.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-02, 06:33 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile No problem with the spare!

My CT 235/70R16 spare fit into the well easily. The carcass of the CT is not much wider than my old 225/70R16 GYs - only the tread is wider due to the square shoulder. The CT fits easily in the well, and the cover has plenty of clearance.

The only tight fit you will encounter is between the inside tread on the rear tire and the strut - about 3/8", again due to the more square shoulder on the CT, vs the rounded shoulder on the Integrity...sure hope you never have to fit chains!
Old 07-22-02, 06:48 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Excellent - thanks for the feedback Lil4X, it is greatly appreciated.

And even though I live in the NorthEast, I won't be needing snow chains... cuz I don't live in Wild ***** country. And I knew exactly the type of vehicle I was getting and how it operated before I bought it

Between the full-time 4WD and the Mich CTs, my family and I should do just fine.

Thanks again
Old 07-22-02, 07:20 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread says " Worth stepping up to 235 from 235 with new tires?" on the main page but when you actually open it, it's correct saying 235 from 225? Hmmmmm:eek: Somebody should fx it.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 07-22-02 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-23-02, 06:02 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Thumbs up S'no problem

I understand...my decision to change out the Intigrittys was based on some squirrely handling coming down Snoqualmie Pass in a late evening snow (that's in WW-land). The rear end briefly decided it was tired of just following me around. A flick of the wheel put the front bumper back in the lead. Only time it happened, but once was enough. Had the new CTs in similar conditons in Colorado ski country last fall, no sweat!

Improved directional stability, somewhat more crisp response, much better traction in limited off-road exploration are the advantages of the CTs, reported here many times. My initial impression was that of somewhat higher noise levels on smooth pavement, but that appeared to be a function of a small amount of mold flash remaining on the tread. That wore away in a hundred miles or so, and the noise subsided. I had my impressions confirmed driving an RX loaner a few months later...those GYs were noiser than my (broken in) Michelins.

Overall, the CTs are a great investment in safety for your family...
Old 07-23-02, 07:07 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I definitely think they are worth it. With my new 235 Crossterrains, I am able to make turns and go places down here in Mexico, I never could go with my RX300's Integritys. Just a better secure feeling on the road. Also, the CTs do not look like the Integrity minivan tires.
Old 07-24-02, 02:45 PM
FCobra94
Driver

Question

So you guys are saying that the 235's are the size to go with when swapping to the Mich. CT's? I think Lil4x said that they might rub against the strut in the back Has anyone experienced any problems with this size?

Thanks again!
Old 07-24-02, 08:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Post Slipping the surly bonds of earth...(redux)

Although the clearance is tight, the struts move with the wheel, producing no contact, even at extreme deflection. From my old post about 6 months ago...

"I received empirical proof of this running at moderate speed late at night last fall on an unfamiliar private dirt road. With about 300 lbs. of equipment in the back, an associate and I unexpectedly discovered an old railroad grade crossing.

"Upon landing after a brief but exciting full-suspension-droop flight, we heard no untoward noises – other than those produced by ourselves – and a load of camera gear repositioning itself after a brief zero-G experience. When we reached a safe turnout, I inspected tires, struts, etc. for signs of damage. No indication that the rear strut had contacted the CT – the coating of dust on the strut was intact. My nerves, less so.

"Proving that there is no statute of limitations on stupidity, I had performed nearly the same stunt in a new full-boat LeSabre (company car) a number of years earlier. Broke a rear shock mount and blew both front shocks that time. While the RX is not my vehicle of choice for the Baja, at least it’s one up on the Buick!"

Sorry for the repetition, but my unintended test proved the theory: no clearance problems with the 235s. If you use snow chains however, you might have clearance problems. Being a tropical flatlander, I have very little experience with either snow or chains.
Old 07-25-02, 07:24 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Talking

Awesome! Thanks Lil4X! That's the post I was lookin for! Tires are gettin ordered today

How's the RX today? Notice any difference in the suspension while driving? It's good to know that these cars can take a little abuse if their confronted with it
Old 07-25-02, 10:06 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Thumbs up

Approaching 50k on the '00 RX, with no real problems. Excellent dealer service (despite the $100 car washes). Happy to report no further airborne antics...frequent flyer mileage was not my intention!

The RX is an outstanding road tripper. Short urban jaunts are overshadowed by long hauls, notably a 6200 mile vacation the second month of the lease. That represents a lot of faith in an untried vehicle - particularly when driven on the back roads through a lot of Lexus-less parts of the country. I was probably responsible for several pedestrian injuries as more than one individual stared after the unfamiliar little vehicle passing through their town. Don't see that much anymore...

Next March, when the lease expires, I will buy out the lease and order a new Lexus. After years of truck-based SUVs, I'm spoiled!
Old 07-25-02, 11:43 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Lil4X, FCCobra, re snow chains: Lexus recommends ONLY on fronts (see your owner's manual) because of clearance problems with rear strut. Elsewhere in the manual (with a nod to wwest, who has pointed out this inconsistency elsewhere), Lexus recommends using chains on all 4 tires!!

Happily, the RX is quite capable for dealing with garden variety on road snowy conditions, at least in our 99 AWD with LSD it has been so. Arkansas doesn't see much frozen water (except, of course, in our mint julips) but we had two bad ice storms back to back Xmas 2000, New Year's 2001 and we had no difficulties once the roads were even minimally passable. And that was on the old Badyear No-tegritys, too!!
Old 07-25-02, 12:00 PM
FCobra94
Driver

Originally posted by Lil4X
Approaching 50k on the '00 RX, with no real problems. Excellent dealer service (despite the $100 car washes).
Good to hear

$100 car washes! :eek: The dealership we got ours from does it for free

As soon as I get out of work, I'm goin to order the CT's

By the way, did you guys notice less body roll, etc. with the CT's? The stock Bridgstones sniff when it comes to an unexpected sharp turns and the like...
Old 07-25-02, 12:22 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
Lexus recommends ONLY on fronts (see your owner's manual) because of clearance problems with rear strut. Elsewhere in the manual (with a nod to wwest, who has pointed out this inconsistency elsewhere), Lexus recommends using chains on all 4 tires!!
Lexus clearly states in the owner's maual:

"Do not use tire chains on the rear tires".
They also state:
"Snow tires should be installed on all wheels".
and
"Installing snow tires on the front wheels only can lead to an excessive difference in road grip capability between the front and rear tires which could cause loss of vehicle control"

I don't believe one will find Lexus recommending chains on all tires. After all, isn't that one major issues that wwilly has regularly blathered about in this and other forums?

I will, however, admit it's easy to mistake what wwilly says as fact in all that mindless prose.
Old 07-25-02, 04:52 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking S&M

Gadzooks, Paddy, I am undone!!!!!! I just checked wifey's manual......instead of my pisspoor memory.

However, Willard does make a good point in that it seems a bit inconsistent to recommend snow tires all around due to imbalance between front and rear traction if snows are only on the front but THEN recommend chains ONLY on the front (since there's a clearance problem with the rear struts), which obviously would create a great difference in traction between front and rear in a low friction setting. Does look like a situation that would lead to some unintentional loops.

Quick Reply: Worth stepping up to 235 from 225 with new tires?