RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Some f'er keyed my RX today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-02, 01:16 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some f'er keyed my RX today...

I wish I got his plate number, but I didn't. What I do know is what the guy looks like, as well as the woman with him, and that he was driving a gold Dodge Durango. I really want to make them pay.

I filed a police report, though didn't have the tag number, which is the most vital part in catching him. Basically the cop was like "Don't hold your breath". It seems to me that they could at least look through the database of cars registered in this county, and see how many gold Dodge Durangos are registered to white males in their 30's matching the description I gave. I'd like to have both him and the woman who was with them arrested, and sue them.

What we're going to do for the next few weeks is during the same time at lunch, drive through the local restaurant parking lots and look for gold Durangos. These people looked like they were on their lunch break. And I'm going to have to get it repainted, I guess the Lexus dealership is the best place to go, though it will be expensive. I hate the idea of getting my 1 year old car repainted, and how well will it match?

Any ideas about finding these people? I want to make them suffer.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-02, 01:47 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Hey RX, you're the one with all Black color with 18's right? You've got a great ride. What exactly did the Durango do? Sorry to hear that. Time for insurance money and paintjob. =)
Old 07-19-02, 01:48 PM
Goncookoo

wow that totally sucks man!
dude i get pissed off when people park close to my baby!

well dont worry about getting it repainted. when i had my right front fender dented to ***** by some idiot in a parking lot
i brought my baby to the lexus dealer to get and estimate of the repair job. the dealer told me that my burnished gold rx was one of the harder colors to match.

Well the estimate came out too high at the dealership so i ended up going to a Jeep Cherokee dealership to get the paint job. wow i was so scared, but in the end it turned out great! the paint matched perfectly. i even see the little gold sparkles etc. cant tell the difference. so if another dealer can match my color i think youll be fine.

paul
Old 07-19-02, 02:02 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Mine's Millinium Silver, not an uncommon color so hopefully not too hard to match. Maybe while I'm there I'll get an estimate on painting the lower body of the car to match.
Old 07-19-02, 02:13 PM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Default paint being keyed

Make them pay for what they did. even though it is repainted to the exact color, it is not the same as original. Make them pay and sue them for vandalism. I am sure they are around the area somewhere. I am just curious why did they do what they did? Gather your friends and do your citizen arrest if you have a good physical size, and take them to the police station. Make it a big deal; I hate this ******. I would ****** them up if the law ignores it. they started it, they should be punished, not the victim. Good luck to you in getting it repaint and catching them.
Old 07-19-02, 08:14 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Yikes! What restaurant were you at when this happened...I may or may not be on the look out depending on where. I don't spend much time down in ATL, just around Town Center and Barrett.

Did you see them actually keying your RX?? I really can't imagine how angry you are right now. Best of luck with the painting.
Old 07-22-02, 06:23 AM
LexFather

Default RX300_ATL

I'll holla here if I ever see a gold Durango (never seen one), I'll write the tag down...
Old 07-22-02, 07:47 AM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Wow, all these Atlanta people w/ their RX's! Sometimes I look around and I think they must ship half their inventory here.

My car got keyed at La Paz in Vinings. Here's the scoop... I parked next to the Durango, right after they parked. A passenger in my back seat opened the door and it touched their car. I said "Hey, be careful w/ the door" and she was like "OK". We were going inside, and the driver of the Durango (30's, fat and pale, balding) approached her and was like "You threw the door open and put a big dent in my car." She said "Well, it tapped it, but didn't do anything" and he said "Well, be more careful next time." and that was the end of it, or so we thought. Our group got seated, so then the two of us went back out to see if she had in fact damaged their car. We saw nothing. We opened her door to where it had tapped the Durango, and there was nothing wrong there. We also inspected my doors, including the place where they were going to key it, and everything was fine. Wish I had gotten their plate #, who would have thought. We finished eating, they left first, and when we got to my car they had keyed the drivers side door. It was a white man and woman, 30's, very plain looking, it appeared they were a couple of coworkers eating lunch but could have been a couple. I saw a couple of Gold Durangos in the area that afternoon, but they weren't the right one.

Yeah I'm mad that they did it, but I don't let anger control me- I'm much more cold and vindictive. As much as I'd like to F up their car, I'm going to try to go through the legal system first, so I don't get myself in trouble as well. Here's my plan...

First, drive the local restaurants in Cumberland/Vinings area during lunch, since this is where it happened. Obviously, if I don't find them, I can't do anything. I'll take note of all license plates of gold durangos that look like theirs, and give them to the detective assigned to my case to see if they're registered to people that match my suspect. Luckily, my coworker can identify them as well. If I make a visual ID of them with the spot, I'll block their car with mine, and have the police come to the scene... trying to take them in myself could open the door to too many legal problems.

I'm going to take my car to the Lexus dealership and ask them to give me the most EXPENSIVE repair estimate they can, for doing everything necessary to restore the car like new- repainting door, blending paint on surrounding surfaces, etc. My main reason for this is the more damage he did, the more serious the crime and the higher the criminal charge that can be filed against them. I'm going to try to get an estimate for over $1000 if I can. So what if it can be buffed out.

Also I'm going to file charges against both the driver of the car and his passenger. Even if she didn't do it and it was just him, then hopefully she'll turn against him in court to get out of trouble, or he'll admit it to keep her out of trouble, or maybe they'll both be found guilty. At the least it should cause tension between them.

If I get a guilty verdict against either/both of them, I'll use that in civil court in a lawsuit, and go for compensatory and punitive damages.

So I think I have a decent plan, if only I can find the f'ers.
Old 07-22-02, 08:28 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only wish I could have the patience you do, if i ever found the person who keyed my car, oh my god the horror, can you say engine degreaser on paint???? Oh my.
Old 07-22-02, 09:22 AM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Let's just say I'm keeping my options open in case the legal system fails me after I find these people.
Old 07-22-02, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Well I am in that area all the time, I sure as hell will be looking. Keying someone's car is a cowardish act, they are mad they drive a *****ty as Durango...

BTW, you should attend the next meet here.
Old 07-23-02, 08:33 AM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I am in that area all the time, I sure as hell will be looking. Keying someone's car is a cowardish act, they are mad they drive a *****ty as Durango...

BTW, you should attend the next meet here.
I appreciate it, always good to have another pair of eyes looking for them. Glad I got a good look at this guy and his passenger, I'll have no problems identifying them.

Yeah I should go sometime, I would be nice to see what other people are doing with their Lexuses. I've done nothing with mine, but would be interesting to see.
Old 07-24-02, 02:55 PM
surge1
Driver School Candidate

hi. i am just curious on how ur going to prove that that exact couple did that to your car. unless you actually seen the two of them key ur car then there is no real evidence to support ur claim. mabe i missed something.
either case good luck and sorry about your car.
Old 07-24-02, 03:06 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

some bstrd fcer stole my rear lexus emblem from my RX a second time the other day. $20.00 at the dealer and they steal it. Worst of all, they scratch up my car just to take it off.

What they steal it for I realy don't know. What I do know is if I see a camry with a lexus sign on it the size of an RX emblem. It's mine. I'm a church going catholic but I feel so robbed ...
Old 07-24-02, 03:29 PM
LexFather

When I used to rock the gold kit, I would get my gold stem valves stolen all the time...

I have yet to see a gold Durango, not too many I am sure...

baby powder please

Quick Reply: Some f'er keyed my RX today...