RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What Problems Had or Have with your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-02, 10:15 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question What Problems Had or Have with your RX?

RX300 2002

-so far I notice the air compressor is making a louder noise, I guess the noise comes from the compressor gear engaging, when turning on the a/c

p.s: one of the post I read, mentioned that it is missing one plastic fender lining, I guess it was designed that way. Mine has only 3 plastic fender linings, one on the rear passenger fender is not used. Lexus patches the plastic thing right onto the body, I am sure it was designed that way, but I am just wondering what was their purpose of doing that!!
Old 07-21-02, 11:54 PM
RoRo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like after a certain amount of miles, my check engine light comes on and then that usually causes the traction control to turn itself off. But the RX300 runs just fine. I think this is Lexus' way to get you to bring it in for service. I've been changing the oil myself since day one, it just seems like every so many thousand miles the CEL comes on for no reason.
Old 07-22-02, 07:09 AM
Goncookoo

my check engine light comes on every so often too!??
then it turns off after a few days. it always seems to turn off
when i call the dealer and say im coming in.

werid. dealer says they cant find anything wrong.

oh my driver window goes up and then down by itself (only in the summer). but i think its cause of the plastic molding for the window on the door. its not aligned well? tire dto fix it myself but it doesnt help. my car never seems to want to show the dealer the problem either. it works flawlessly when i bring it there. what a bi**chy car?

my a/c compressor makes a funny noice when its running too. i can her it inside the car, but not outside?? weird.

my left disc cover plat was touching my rotors and when i turned it made a weird clank clank sound. dont know how that happened. dealer said the only way to get it the way it was bent was by hitting the rotor plat on something??? wow, ive never got dont anything to my car that would do that.

my leather is cracking and starting to peel even with once a month cleaning and moisturing with lexol (i have a '99). maybe its just getting old?

my 6 disc changer got stuck in intense heat! it was 100+ and the changer wouldnt work. it blinked at me. i had to cool the cabin for a bit before it started to work again.

other than that i think everything is fine except for annoying noices once in a while from my dash and glove compartment area.

-paul
Old 07-22-02, 08:06 AM
Handogen
Driver

1. Squeaky Suspension. Everytime I'd go over a bump or a dip in the road, the suspension would squeak like an old mattress. It was still under warranty, so the dealer fixed it.

2. Temperature gauge is always off since I moved to Denver. It used to display the temp exact. But since I moved out here, it's been off by as much as 12 degrees at times. The dealer checked it out and said it was "working normally".

3. Vibrating rattling sound from the engine (there's a thread going on over this problem). I'm still fighting with the dealer to get them to take the engine apart and find the problem. I think they are reluctant because of the extensive work involved in diagnosing this problem. They originally tried to say it was the octane of gas I was using. I started using 92 octane instead of 87/89 and the problem wasn't as bad.. but still evident. Since I brought my RX in for this specific problem when it was still under warranty, they are obligated to fix to customer satisfaction. I'll keep pushing this one.

4. Occasional clicking sound coming from roof rack while driving. Minor annoyance, so I haven't done anything about it. Another member said this could be fixed by re-adjusting the roof rack.

5. Foggy film over my headlight lenses. Dealer couldn't explain the problem and wouldn't replace them under warranty. I'll be replacing these on my own. I've been watching eBay auctions for an 01' or 02' set to replace them. Patience is a virtue!!

That's about all I can think of offhand..

Thanks,
Hando