RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Scopion S/T vs. Ecsta STX

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 03:01 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scopion S/T vs. Ecsta STX

Okay, since no one seems to go to the "suspension/tire" part of the RX forum, I'm going to post a quick question here about shoes for the RX.

I have the OEM 16x6.5 size wheels and I need new shoes shortly for my AWD RX3... I don't really like the look of the Michelin Cross Terrains (I know, I know, they're popular here)...
My final two choices are:

1. Kumho Ecsta STX 235/70-16... This is the tire I really want: H-speed rated, wider tire than OEM, and looks are very cool... but I've only heard of one other person here using it on stock wheels and I want to be positive it will clear and not cause problems. Plus I'm a little nervous about this tire mixed with Wisconsin winters...

2. Pirelli Scopion S/T 225/70-16... This one is also H-speed rated, has deeper treads (better for snow?), and comes in the OEM size tire so there's no concern there. I like the Ecsta AND having a wider tire, but this might be a better choice for my conditions...

Right now I have the OEM Bridgestone Duelers - okay tire, but way to soft and "drifty" on the corners... I want a tire that is more laterally stable and better responding, period.

Any recommendations and/or thoughtful advice would be much appreciated!

Ck
Old 07-18-02, 09:39 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I know how you feel about the Michelin CT's. They are highly praised, but to me they don't look that great from the side. The tread on the sidewall doesn't look that great. I've always like the Michelin LTX/MS. I've used them on an Explorer and seen them on an RX. I think they look good and function very well.
Old 07-19-02, 12:09 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

What good is H speed rating in vehicle drag limited to 110mph??

I'd go with the Pirellis simply because of the heritage as well as local (as opposed to Tire Rack) availability.

Last edited by mooretorque; 07-19-02 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-21-02, 05:24 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Higher speed rating equals stiffer sidewalls for better cornering regardless of how fast you are going.... that's why I want an "H" speed rated tire - stiffer lateral movement. Thanks for the tip on Pirelli's - I do like the reputation for excellence associated with the brand!

Originally posted by mooretorque
What good is H speed rating in vehicle drag limited to 110mph??

I'd go with the Pirellis simply because of the heritage as well as local (as opposed to Tire Rack) availability.
Old 07-22-02, 07:39 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'll take your word on the stiffer sidewalls (always thought the greater concern was delamination of the tread layers at speed) with higher speed ratings, but I'm a little skeptical. I doubt that you'd feel nearly as much difference between, say, a "T" rated tire vs "H", compared to going to a larger wheel/lower aspect ratio combination.
Old 07-22-02, 02:23 PM
white01
Driver

As I have, the Kumho STX's on my RX I can say, BIG difference. The handling of the stock GoodYear Integrity is not even in the same stratosphere. As far as "H" rated goes you never know when one of those magical "E"-prom's will become available for the RX The only reason the RX is governed down to 110 is because of those integrity/trailer tires(if you've seen a u-haul or Ryder car carrier you'll know what I mean). To be honest I would not consider the Intergrity a confidence inspiring tire above 100mph. It's probably safe up to about 75-80mph. If you have to make a quick correction at that speed-good luck

I looked at the Pirelli Scorpion ST, and I am familiar with the handling of Pirelli products, as I put about 50,000 miles on two sets of "18" P7000 SuperSports for my tweaked GTI-VR6. Miss that car. I still decided to give the Kumho's a try.

The 235 section Kumho's emit a bit more road noise, but I'll take the aggressive look, and much improved handling -WET & DRY - any day.

I actually had placed an order for the Cross Terrains, but after considering the weather conditions here in South Florida, I went with what suits my needs. They are much more aggressive than the Cross Terrains as well. Last but not least - I HAVE NOT DETECTED ANY RUBBING! I am a happy camper indeed - at least until I get those L-Sportline Monoblock IV rims. It's too bad they don't make a 255 18 Kuhmo because I would go with them in a plus size - with the L-sportline's as well.