RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HELP PLEASE: Vibration sounds when uphill or accelarating

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-02, 01:51 AM
RinnDogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP PLEASE: Vibration sounds when uphill or accelarating

Hi,
I just brought my RX300 home a few weeks ago, and I just noticed a weird vibration and sound that is made occasionally...it usually happens right after I stop and start to accelerate again. It also happens when I'm on an uphill area like a driveway. When I step on the gas, I can feel and hear the vibrations.

My 30 day checkup is coming up. Should I just wait until then or should I get to the bottom of it earlier?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-02, 02:10 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hrm.. try brining it in... brand new car shoudlnt' be doing this. i'm sure they look at it right away!

good luck

you live close there n e ways so its all good

btw WELCOME TO THE BOARDS
Old 07-15-02, 09:05 AM
Handogen
Driver

I recently had my Lexus in the shop for a WEEK regarding this problem. When accelerating up a hill, there's a rattling vibrating noise like something is loose on the exhaust or in the engine. It sounds similar to your problem, but may or may not be the same thing. If there's a barrier next to the Lexus when going up hill, you can REALLY hear the noise.... thankfully the mechanic heard it too.

After my baby spent a week in the shop, they gave it back to me, saying I wasn't using high enough octane. I've been putting 85 octane (normal in Denver) for the past few months. Shame on me.

I've been putting 91/92 octane since then and keeping my gas receipts in case the noise continues. Hopefully this resolves the problem. Otherwise it's just going to be another instance of the Lexus mechanics diagnosing a problem before they completely check things out. We'll see...

-Hando

Last edited by Handogen; 07-15-02 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-15-02, 12:02 PM
aprairie
Driver School Candidate

I bought a CPO 99 Rx300 about 2 months ago. First day out had some terrible engine knocking noise, especially when going uphill. Sounded like a loud rattling noise in the engine compartment.

Dealer said the same thing about using 92 Octane gas. That helped quiet the problem, but it was still there --- just not as loud. I also didn't like this answer since the manual says 87 octane gas is fine and so many folks on this BBS run the lower octane with no problems.

After going back and forth with the dealership several times, I finally got a tech who was wiling to put some time into the diagnosis. They labeled it as a "scorched cylinder compartment" that was causing the piston to ratlly around in the cylinder. Got a new engine block and the problem has disappeared.

The interesting thing is what else they found when they openned the engine up. Oil deposits (ie gel) in the oil pan, in the injectors, and in other cylinders. They cleaned the pan and injectors, and claim I should see no more gel problems. Considering the car has only 34K miles, and they have service records showing oil change every 6K miles --- I'm not sure how it got there in the first place.

I'm pleased with the customer service (once pushed), but I'm keeping a watchful eye on any future engine issues and making sure I document every oil change and service I do on the car.

I'd push back until you get an answer you are happy with. If I had settled with the "use higher octane gas" I would have only been treating the symptons and not the cause. A costly mistake if the gelling continued on past the warranty period.

Good luck,
Drew
Old 07-16-02, 01:05 AM
RinnDogg

Default Re: Thanks

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday morning to get it checked out. Hopefully it won't be too much of a headache since it's WAAAAYYY too early (2 1/2 weeks since I brought it home) for this to be happening They better not give me the high octane gas excuse either because I'm still using the full tank of gas they gave me when I picked it up. If that's the case, then why did they put low octane gas?! Anyway, I'll keep you updated and ask for more questions if any more come up.

Thanks again.

Last edited by RinnDogg; 07-16-02 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-16-02, 08:07 AM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Vibration sounds

Drew, I am glad you got it resolved. It is a great info you are giving to all of us how your problem was resolved. I am sure many others are being mis-treated by not being resolved the cause but the symtoms. Most of the time they will give you a guessing solution until you insist it that it does exist.

Thanks for the great info.
Old 07-16-02, 11:23 AM
Handogen
Driver

aprairie (Drew), let me be the first to say YOU ROCK! hehe

I printed out this thread and faxed it to my local Lexus Dealership. The information here is golden. My original instincts were that something was awry with the engine. Hopefully the dealership will see the light as well and give me the same service you got. You may have saved me a few trips to the dealership. When I take it back this time, it will be the fourth.

I'll definitely keep you updated on the results... The service consultants are always receptive...

Thanks,
Hando
Old 07-17-02, 02:49 PM
RinnDogg

Post Re: update

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update, so here it is.

I went to the dealership today and they said they've never had this problem before. Of course, I mentioned that a few others have had a similar problem. Next time, I'll be sure to follow Hando's lead and carry a printout of this post around.

Anyway, while the tech took it out for a test drive to see if what the sound/vibration was like, he wasn't able to replicate the problem. Then the tech had me drive the car with him for a good half hour and the car still wouldn't make that damn noise.

Just my luck....my car makes sounds and does things when I don't want it to, but when I actually want it to do it, it shuts up. Oh well, at least I know I'm not imagining it because 2 other people noticed it while driving my car.

I'll be bringing it in for the 30 day check-up next weekend, so if the problem persists, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the tech can replicate the problem.

Thanks for all the input and advice everyone.
Old 07-17-02, 05:53 PM
tempexec
Driver School Candidate

Default possible source of problem

I have an 01 RX 300 that was in the shop 6-7 times with a problem that sounds similar to what you describe. To make a long story much shorter, the problem was finally resolved when they flew a tech person up from NJ to the Boston area to look at it. Something was loose on the underside of the vehicle that needed to be re-welded. That was 2 months ago and the problem appears to be corrected. The symptom was a noise, usually at low speed or going up or down an incline. Sounded like a knocking or banging noise and you could feel the vibration under your feet. We became so annoyed with this problem that we actually were attempting to sell the vehicle (other than this problem we love it). I would estimate car was in the shop for a total of 3 weeks, always with a free loaner though. Good luck. Insist they fix it now or it will drive you crazy.