RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

15k service

Old 07-12-02, 10:19 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k service

damn, brought my car in yesterday for 15k service and thats costing me 480!!

expensive... my friend kept telling me its not worth it... uagh, i found cheaper in sacremento for 379 but i didn't want to drive 2hrs just for service.

o well, i told them to look at the doors also and check the glove box since it takes a couple of slams to close. I also told them to check out my brakes cuz towards the end of a brake, you can hear it kinda grown...

Also, they gave me another Rx3 and man is there a FAT difference from a regular Rx3 and a Silversport. The ride quality is just SOOO MUCH SMOOOOOOOTHER!!! hahah. man, i kind of want stock suspension now since its so smooth. It just rides beautifully. But i still love my silversport hehe. The Rx3 rides kinda floaty but still good. I'm thinking what are the specific differences from the silversport suspension and the normal Rx3s.

I was also wondering how those TRD Waydoos suspension run on the Rx3.

but ya
Old 07-12-02, 10:47 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

For my 15k service I looked in the manual for what exactly they would do. Mostly it was "inspect this" and "check that" so I didn't feel it was worth the money since I'm not an invalid, as the dealer would assume, and can do some of those things myself.

I just bought my own filter and Mobile 1 oil and had them change the oil and rotate/balance the tires. If I had AWD the rear differential fluid may have needed to be checked/replaced. Not sure about the maintenance on that w/o looking in the manual. It's all outlined in there.
Old 07-12-02, 10:50 AM
Thunk
Driver School Candidate

I had the dealer check out the glove compartment awhile back. It took a few slams to close. The response was that you need to close pushing directly in the middle and not from the edges.

David
Old 07-12-02, 10:55 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Thunk
I had the dealer check out the glove compartment awhile back. It took a few slams to close. The response was that you need to close pushing directly in the middle and not from the edges.

David
That's true. I have a hard time getting mine closed unless I push right in the middle near the handle. Then it closes nicely.
Old 07-12-02, 11:16 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Gosh Mike,
you beat me in mileage already. I just hit 10,000. =)
Old 07-13-02, 02:15 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

well i'm picking up the rx3 tomorrow and we'll see whats up.

as for the glove he said on the phone that i had too much stuff in there... which i kinda doubt cuz its still hard to close when everythings out... but he said they realigned it for me anyways.

I asked about the brakes also and they said something about the brakes, dont remember i'll ask tomrorow but they said they changed the pads and did somethign to rotors all under warrenty. he said it was basically a brake job for me.

we'll see whats up tomrrow when i pick it up.

ya, i drive car too much.. and my sister steals my car and drives it out alot too damnit!

o well, thats what a car is for.
Old 07-14-02, 07:07 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

ok Cool, i picked up my car and everythings fine... except they coudln't repclicate my door rattle so i'm gonna bring it in againi cuz i STILL hear it.

They reglzed my brakes and new pads so thats good.

btw, on my way back from the service a ML 320 was chasing me on a curve and i of couse stepped on it into the curve and hanged the turn while that ML had to brake . Then we both were at the LINE and 2 guys were just staring at me wanting me to go at it with them so i nodded and bam we headed off, lol i burnt him badly and while i was in front of him for couple of secs i just double signaled on him and left LOL

SMOKED The ML haha ok but that was fun
Old 07-15-02, 12:15 AM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Mike,
was the ML white with new rims? I saw a white ML the otherday and the teenager was wiping his rims. Glad you beat the ML.
Old 07-15-02, 05:07 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

nah, it was some black one, looked pretty new n shiny. Not for sure which ML (cuz of course i was in front the entire time) it was but i'm postive it wasn't the ML55 AMG.... that would had rocked me so bad...
Old 07-17-02, 01:03 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default got you all beat in miles...

I seem to have you all beat in miles - I'm at 32,000 already on my '01... not sure that's a good thing. I had an outside sales job for 6 months and racked up a ton of miles - now I've got a new inside sales job and my car is much happier with the mileage I'm putting on, but my job is more boring. Hmmmm.... Plus I miss driving all day - those Lexus's (would plural for Lexus be Lexi?) are made to pack on the miles - I plan to drive this thing around 250K since it's paid for!!!

Anyways, just a couple things to add...

Spin, you seem to have done quite a few mod's to your RX - any problems with invalidating the warranty?

Just had my 30,000 mile service done - that one costs $550 plus I had to have new rear brakes put on already that cost and additional $260... PRICEY!

All that said, paid for, and done, my truck drives like a different animal than before the tune up - acceleration faster and smoother, cornering better, breaks more smoothly, etc... So yes, the maintenance was pricey, but the end result was well worth it.

Ck
Old 07-18-02, 12:15 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks

for warrenty, i just told my service guy and he said well if anything happens dont worry, just put back the orginal. thats about it.

Also i was gonna go for the slotted/drilled rotors, but he said that would void my warrenty for rotors, so i decided not to since i doubt i'll be able to replace it back myself lol

ya, i kinda dont trust anyone else other then lexus to service my car.... but then again you can't trust no one