RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX300 Warrenty about to run out. Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 11:24 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 RX300 Warrenty about to run out. Any Suggestions?

Hey All

The Warranty on our 99 RX300 is going to expire next month. The car is almost in perfect condition. It only has two small problems

1. There is a whistle above 80mph. The dealer replace the roof rack with new ones but did not help. Any suggestions??

2. In the dash where you have the P N D 1 2 lights to tell you what gear your in, well the light for D has gone out. I do not know if its worth taking apart the dash to fix this?

That's it! The car has 44k on it but the 4 year warrenty timeline expires.

So my question is do you all have any suggestions of things to get replaced while I still have warranty. Are there ANY known problems that arise at 50k? Is there any thing I can try to get away replacing under warranty that would be expensive later?

Any suggestions or comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 07-09-02, 11:39 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you want to extent your warranty you can try www.warrantybynet.com Rates are decent.
Old 07-09-02, 05:06 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Horta when I went and got my 2000 RX I asked about the whistle problem and I was told be my dealer that they had fixed the whistle problem in the 2000 model year. look at a 99 vs and RX sometime and you will notice that the roof racks are lower. You probly tryed this but move the racks around and see if you can eliminate that. other wise I am .

Now for that Driver light I would concern my self with it. take that into the dealer they will warrenty that. At least i am 90% sure.

Mine is only at 39 K so as for after 50K problems I dont know.

Good Luck
Old 07-10-02, 07:15 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Default Any known Repairs to be done before Warrenty Expires??

Hey All

I am reasking the question because I dont know if people understod. I know about extended warrenties. The question is is there anything I sould have replaced even though its not broken yet?

The Warranty on our 99 RX300 is going to expire next month. The car is almost in perfect condition. It only has two small problems

1. There is a whistle above 80mph. The dealer replace the roof rack with new ones but did not help. Any suggestions??

2. In the dash where you have the P N D 1 2 lights to tell you what gear your in, well the light for D has gone out. I do not know if its worth taking apart the dash to fix this?

That's it! The car has 44k on it but the 4 year warrenty timeline expires.

So my question is do you all have any suggestions of things to get replaced while I still have warranty. Are there ANY known problems that arise at 50k? Is there any thing I can try to get away replacing under warranty that would be expensive later?

Any suggestions or comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 07-10-02, 12:18 PM
Francis
Pole Position

My D light has gone out as well. I am sure dealer will fix it for free. But I think it’s not worth taking apart the dash to fix this, It might cause another problems.

My RX has been in prefect condition like your but what if …..
Just a thought, good luck.
Old 07-10-02, 11:05 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Get even the most minor problem fixed (like the D light)

Log any intermitant (sp?) problems.

Last of all have some one check the car out ... either the dealer or others like Lemon Busters. This may cost you $50~100

Salim
Old 07-12-02, 10:56 AM
Thunk
Driver School Candidate

The D light seems to be a common problem because the light just went out on my 99. I wonder if a longer lasting bulb is being used in the newer models.

David
Old 07-13-02, 02:29 PM
p1fcl01
Rookie

Default The "D" Light

Yes, I too had the D light replace and Yes it is free of charge and did not notice any problem after the replacement fo the light. One thing I need to bring up, I had my pair if front struts replace 3 time on my 1999 RX300 and fought really hard (the Lexus rep had to inspect my car) to have my rear replace, but only once. They strut problem is a well know problem in most major city with harsh road like mine, in NY. Other than that my Rx300 runs fine.
Old 07-14-02, 07:47 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Well All

I had the D light replaced. Also they told me the wistle was coming from a bad seal arounf the rear hatch. We will see about that.

One thing I found to replace under warrenty was my front seat bottoms. I founf the stuffing under the leather was bunching up a bit. The service guy talk tyo the manager and they are ordering me new ones. He said only the top manager can order leather stuff. So I dont know if Im getting all new leather seat bottoms or just the foam padding underneath. I will find out in a couple of weeks when they call me back in for the repair.

I will take some before and after pics and start a new thread on this. I would look at you seats and have this doen before your warrenty runs out.

The pictures will explain more when you see them.

Take care
Jerry
Old 07-15-02, 11:20 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is in the shop right now having the front shock mounts replaced. This is a known issue and there is a TSB issued on that (and a few other things you migh check into) here: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/00740513.html

So. I suggest you turn off the radio and A/C and give a good listen to your front end over bumpy roads and make sure you don't hear any rattles up there (or anywhere). The light on my A/C "recirculation" button also was flickering and my "D" was also burned out as seems to be common. So far they are fixing everything for free. I did notice when my car was new that it took an inordinate amount of time to shift into 2nd gear on very cold days... I'm not sure if it's still doing that or not as I had heard from others that it's not a big deal. Other than that, mine has been dead on perfect.
Old 08-29-02, 06:52 PM
Shacky
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's my list...

1) Driver side seat heater went out (replaced under warranty)
2) Whistling noise from roof (never fixed very well)
3) Auto windows pinch control too sensitive in 100 degree heat (greased all the window edges)
4) "D" light in dash out (just noticed and will take it in)
5) Light door rattle from speakers. I listen to AM news stations with high bass sometimes. (not fixed)
6) Drifting to the right (just figured out it was a problem with the balancing of the tires, but they did mention some problems with RX300's pulling)
7) Glove compartment hard to close (they said this is normal)
8) Helicopter noise with 1 window open (dealer fix is to open more than one window )
9) Rear tail light out - light on dash comes on with yellow car and flashing in the back (tail light replaced)

Over 56,000 miles on my car and still going.