RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Navagation Startup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 02:56 AM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navagation Startup?

Is there a way around having to "agree" to not watch the navagation screen every time you start the car??
Old 07-10-02, 12:02 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Yes

** Smart *** answer removed**

Last edited by genearch; 07-10-02 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-10-02, 06:50 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Wow, I guess the forum guy does read this. He just removed the guys last answer. The remove that "do you agree" paragraph when you start your car, it is possible to do so. After you start your car and you touch "agree", there is a button that says "display" and press screen off. That way you can be driving in the city with no screen. When you change your CD's the display will show for a few seconds and dissapear. How this answers your question.
Old 07-10-02, 09:39 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Yes

The way I did it was open the DVD "door".

The nav DVD player is within the spare tire storage area. If you look to the extreme right you will see a switch on the DVD player enclosure, move the switch to open. The DVD will not automatically eject, and if you want to later use the DVD then all you need do is return the door switch to "close".

Personally I have found the Lexus GPS/Nav to be so unrelaible as to be useless.

I have had it seemingly successfully compute routes and then once we arrive near the destination it "discovers" that we've run off of it's map. Most of the time it seems to be "forward looking" enough that it forewarns you that some areas toward the destination will be off the map. I don;t have any idea what the firmware flaw is that causes it to be intermittent in this way.

I have had it "jump" me to a parallel roadbed, from a roadbed onto which it guided me in the process of reaching a computed destination.

It thinks the longest route from here to Condon Oregon is the shortest in time and distance. If you use it in this manner always check the other mode to be sure which is actually which, it doesn't seem to always figure it out.

Last edited by wwest; 07-10-02 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-11-02, 02:40 AM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Thank You Genwarch.
Old 07-11-02, 06:22 AM
Severum
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav works well for me...

I've found just the opposite of wwest. Surprise!

It does really become second nature to tap the screen before you're on your way.

The nav works out really well throughout the metro Houston area(which I rarely ever leave). I haven't had it miscalculate a route yet in the month or so we've had it. The wife uses it extensively for real estate.

Severum
Old 07-11-02, 07:57 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

ouch :eek:
Old 07-11-02, 08:43 AM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree... I have had it for about 5 weeks, and I think it is great. Every once in awhile in my local area when I am just playing around with it, it will try and send me another way, when I know there is an easier one.

But if I was in a strange place, who cares how it gets me where I am going, I would'nt know any better anyway. And the added feeling of security it gives me is awesome.
Old 07-11-02, 09:23 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Genearch

Thank You.

For a much more reasonable, well though out, measured response.

I do very much so appreciate that, over the "book burning" type of attitude you displayed by deleting my first post simply because you didn't like it's content.

I have owned a 90 LS (B Gates used) a 91 LS, 92 LS, a 95 LS, a 00 GS3, a 00 RX, and currently own an 01 AWD RX300, if I didn't believe Lexus wasn't the best of the best, worldwide, I certainly wouldn't keep going back just for "punishment".

If anyone wishes to dispute any of my positions regarding what I consider Lexus design flaws, some simply non-ergonmic but many serious enough to be life threatening, I welcome the debate.

I'm sure some of those in your audence are quite frustrated that I totally ignore their "stabs" at me personally, but I find nothing creative in those actions on their part, and for me to respond would simply validate their need to disparage me personally rather than take the time to address the actual subject matter.

If you would be so kind as to take the time to check the number of times I have initiated a thread vs simply responding to questioners, I think you might come to the realization that I am not using CL as a "soapbox" or "pulpit".

I have to think that one of the reasons you felt free to delete my response as being "smart ***" was my lack of clarification on the subject. As you see, I can give lots of clarification but you say that's one of the things CL users are complaining about.

Anyway, thanks again for reconsidering.
Old 07-12-02, 06:58 AM
Severum
Driver School Candidate

Default Hrmm....

Blah blah blah blah.......I usually start reading "his" responses and then start skimming because they start sounding like that old distorted drive-thru speaker jargon.

As for the nav....I don't know about anyone here, but I am fairly decent with directions. However, put me in downtown Houston, and I get lost. It's been nice the few times we've been downtown in the RX and when we depart from our location, we just hit "HOME". That has been awesome on more than one occasion.

Severum
Old 07-12-02, 07:47 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

WWEST,

I completely understand what you mean by the Nav not able to be accurate, etc. Problem is -- your Nav dvd version is Old.

I own a 2002 RX, and when I first bought it, it still had the old Nav version: 2000.1.

Now I've got the most up-to-date Nav version: 2001. It's Awesome! That's why some other newer RX owners here agree that their Nav is great, 'cause their system is Up-to-date.

You should consider purchasing the update from your local Lexus Dealer, it's great! And you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-12-02, 06:35 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, Severum. I hope you're enjoying your new Lexus.

You hit the nail on the head.

Hmm, The McDonald's Mentality theory. I'll begin work on that, immediately.

BTW

In 2001, Denso received JD Power's award for Highest Customer
Satisfaction With Factory Installed Navigation Systems
Old 07-16-02, 12:11 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default DVD update

Dealer agreed that all of the problems I have had are the result of "bugs" in the embedded Nav firmware, upgrading to the new DVD (map data) wouldn't help.

Doscovered a new Lexus nav flaw on our trip to central MT this past weekend. The Nav can lose contact with GPS and still work fine, but once it recovers the GPS signal it "recalibrates" its location and seemingly erases its "how we got where we are" history. Apparently that's why it will "jump" from one roadbed to an adjacent one, it doesn't do that unless it first loses teh GPS signal and then recovers it.
Old 07-16-02, 12:24 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In 2001, Denso received JD Power's award for Highest Customer
Satisfaction With Factory Installed Navigation Systems.

Would you like fries with that?
Old 07-18-02, 06:33 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Genearch

Originally posted by wwest
Thank You.

If anyone wishes to dispute any of my positions regarding what I consider Lexus design flaws, some simply non-ergonmic but many serious enough to be life threatening, I welcome the debate.

If you would be so kind as to take the time to check the number of times I have initiated a thread vs simply responding to questioners, I think you might come to the realization that I am not using CL as a "soapbox" or "pulpit".

Wrong. I've proven you didn't really know how the RX300 4WD system worked and you simply clammed up and wouldn't respond. Face it, you like to hear yourself talk/type.

Quick Reply: Navagation Startup?