RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Acura.org -MDX owner opinons on RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-02, 12:30 PM
white01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura.org -MDX owner opinons on RX

What's up with the folks over there? vicpai, sicklex, rxlex I've seen your posts on their site. The difference in the type of person that buys what they consider to be the sportier SUV in comparison to the RX is banannas! I browsed through a couple of threads the one that get's me most is that they actually feel that the RX is a copy of the MDX. When in fact the RX came out when Acura was still trying to unload the boat of Vigors (remember that car?) Then there are others who go on to say that one of the worst tires currently in production - is a sporty handling tire, that offers loads of traction and treadwear: Two words -Close Thread.

I would say to those folks that think that the Vigor I mean MDX is a better handling vehicle - drive an RX with more agressive tires. I'm still waiting to line up against one at a light. - Haters
Old 07-08-02, 12:33 PM
white01
Driver

The tire that I failed to mention .....you guessed it, the GoodYear Integrity!
Old 07-08-02, 01:55 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hehe, i when i was shopping for my ride, it was either going to be a MDX or a 4runner... the Rx3 was not even considered since it was such a nice luxy ride. But i have had my hopes on the Rx3 ever since and lookie now haha i have a rx3 =)

but anyways, ya i wish the same as you white, for the time i line up with a mdx also We'll show em whos boss!
Old 07-08-02, 02:09 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default MDX

Don't try to beat the MDX with your RX on a slippery surface, you'll be giving up your pink slip.
Old 07-08-02, 02:47 PM
white01
Driver

The added grip, with just the right amount of slip from my "new" much more agressive tires, should be enough for me to show him the rear -" L".
Old 07-08-02, 05:06 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Yeah, I notice a lot of the MDX owners thinking they are God with their new SUV, but feel they try to make themselves feel better about their purchase by putting down others like the RX. I like the MDX myself, but think (<--opinion!) the RX is the better choice if you don't need the size. It is truly more luxurious.

Both vehicles are excellent and to try to say that one is definitively better than the other is useless, and an opinion. BTW, some of the MDX.org crew actually own and RX too.

But hey, we all feel proud of our vehicles
Old 07-08-02, 11:35 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default The only reason I'm on there is........

Originally posted by white01
What's up with the folks over there? vicpai, sicklex, rxlex I've seen your posts on their site. The difference in the type of person that buys what they consider to be the sportier SUV in comparison to the RX is banannas! I browsed through a couple of threads the one that get's me most is that they actually feel that the RX is a copy of the MDX. When in fact the RX came out when Acura was still trying to unload the boat of Vigors (remember that car?) Then there are others who go on to say that one of the worst tires currently in production - is a sporty handling tire, that offers loads of traction and treadwear: Two words -Close Thread.

I would say to those folks that think that the Vigor I mean MDX is a better handling vehicle - drive an RX with more agressive tires. I'm still waiting to line up against one at a light. - Haters
.........is because of that ACURA NAVIGATION SYSTEM which is simply unbeatable and a bit superior to the Lexus/Toyota/Denso units (which are quite good themselves).......I understand this is a bit silly, but to me a Navigation System is one of the greatest wonders ever introduced to automobiles in this century......Yeah, Yeah, I know airbags etc. ........but, still one definitely has to appreciate the technology involved in this little piece of wonder!!

Other than that, I think the MDX has a REAL SERIOUS FLAW......I have said this over and over again on www.acuramdx.org and that's it's friggin WIDTH (77 inches??? Where are they gonna drive this thing??....on the moon?? ).......What were these people smoking when they designed this vehicle for cryin out loud ?????

The RX in fact (not withstanding it's ridiculous turning circle ) would be a PERFECT match for my single, sporty lifestyle.......Whoever said the MDX is sportier than an RX is high on something......Clearly, smaller vehicles are sportier, DUH! .......that's the whole point of a sport-oriented vehicle

I will be SO PI*SED OFF if Lexus copies Acura and gives the next RX a 3rd row seat, which would mean lengthening and widening the vehicle (I'm sick of hearing about this friggin useless "exterior-dimension-increasing-option" day in and day out already that I'm ready to tell someone to SHUT UP).........but then again Lexus is not stupid!......I'm sure they'll keep the RX PRETTY MUCH the same size, otherwise there's gonna be a lot of very unhappy people!
Old 07-09-02, 06:37 AM
white01
Driver

I agree with everything you guys said. It's not that the MDX is all bad, it has some advantages - as it should it's the newer vehicle. However, it obviously has not pushed the RX in to the land of obscurity. We all know the RX is not perfect, the turning radius could honestly be considered a safety hazard - you better get it right the first time if your making a U-turn, especially if there is on coming trafffic.

An improved NAV/Stereo system, individual map lights, timed interior lights, auto sense wipers, and the MDX crew favorite - steering wheel controls, will most likely be addressed with the next generation RX. I'm not so sure Toyota is going to get overly aggressive with the drivetrain with the exception of more horsepower. I think they want to reserve "True" offroad capability for the GX and LX. Boulder jumpers and creek crossers need not apply.

Design and reliability wise the RX has held up pretty well. It remains to be seen what a 4year old MDX will look like. In all fairness Honda's in general hold up, but we'll see.
Old 07-09-02, 10:08 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default driveline

On aggressive acceleration, the MDX will INSTANTLY, via an electronic clutchpak on sensing WOT, allocate 50% of the engine torque to the rear.

The RX ALWAYS starts up in FWD mode, something close to 90/10 (that's why it has so much torque steer), and will only allocate torque to the rear AFTER the front tires begin to slip. Only after a period of time, measured in the hundreds of milliseconds with the front tires slipping continuously, will the RX's normally flaccid VC begin to stiffen up and allocate up to 25-30%, TOPS, of the available engine torque to the rear.

To hell with creek-crossing or off-roading, I just want to get over any of our numerous ice and snow covered mountain passes in the wintertime if need be, or around my neighborhood if the snowplows aren't yet out.

Not only does the MDX have a much more capable AWD system, if that fails to get you up and going, or keep you going, you can put snowchains on all four wheels, or even just the rear. You can't do that on the RX without seriously risking your life.

Add HID, VSC/TRAC/ABD to the MDX and it will OUTSHINE the RX.

Or eliminate the RX's VC in favor of the Sequoia's less expensive AWD system, copied directly from the ML series, add some suspension clearance above the rear tire tread, and the RX will be absolutely the TOP DOG.

Which will it be LEXUS?
Old 07-09-02, 11:33 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying an Acura MDX - $35,200

W/Touring Pkg & NAV - $39,800

Not babbling incessantly
about the same topics
for months on end - Priceless
Old 07-09-02, 02:20 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

LOL HAHAH

lets just say currently our Rx3 can hold 7 passengers also LoL, i did that the other day, have 2 in front, 3 in rear and 2 in trunk sitting side by side and they fit perfect. They aint those small ones neither haha. Just minus the seats and seatbelts, it works great
Old 07-09-02, 02:39 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they're under 75lb., strap'em to the accessory crossbars.
Old 07-09-02, 02:48 PM
white01
Driver

As my RX is mainly used for commuting, I barely have more than 3 people in mine at any given time. Mostly the wife and daughter, plus I can't tell you the last time I folded the seat down. 7 seats and an extra large cargo bay - N/A

Ya see, here in Florida I don't have to worry about snow, Ice, Mudstreams, etc. I do need wet weather traction, and ground clearance in the event of flooding. The past two weeks have been a true test of my RX's wet weather capabilities - Report card A+

So my priorities are in order for what I currently use the vehicle for.

BTW: I'm suprised we don't have any MDX trolls stopping by yet :
Old 07-09-02, 02:50 PM
LexFather

If they're under 75lb., strap'em to the accessory crossbars.
LOL, sorry but I find the Acura should not be badged an "Acura" cause to me, it does not leave the impression of a luxury truck. The interior leaves me cold, fake wood, panels do not fit tight, rubbery leather. I think it is a WIDE truck, nice if you need the space and the V-6 is Outstanding. But for it to be badged a "luxury" truck, to me it needs more.

So my thinking is a GREAT Honda, an okay Acura. I've met a couple "hot *****" MDX owners, both chics, lol! But hey, we do the same thing sometimes

Hey, welcome to ClubLexus, I have not visited the MDX in a minute but those dudes over there are some of the coolest.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-09-02 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-09-02, 08:20 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default MDX/RX330

I don't want an MDX, I want a perfected RX330.

Quick Reply: Acura.org -MDX owner opinons on RX