RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Acura.org -MDX owner opinons on RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 09:16 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: MDX/RX330

Originally posted by wwest
I don't want an MDX, I want a perfected RX330.
...and lots of people want you to shut your pie-hole.

One of these "wants" can't happen until 2003.
You can start on the other right now.

Lexus, unfortuately, doesn't build cars to your specifications.
Old 07-15-02, 11:11 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

One obvious advantage the RX300 has over the Acura is driveability. The RX300 handles better, rides smoother and is quieter inside. Beyond that, the MDX has the 3rd row seat, which while not being needed by vic, is one of the primary reasons growing families "upgrade" their SUV's. We are RX owners and are seriously looking at the Acura or the new Lexus GX. Specifically because of the 3rd row seating capability. If sheer driving pleasure and build quality were the main considerations than the Lexus RX300 would win hands down over the MDX. On the other hand, the MDX has more aggressive exterior styling, our RX300's are starting to get the reputation as a "soccer Mom" vehicle...

Of course the mui macho styling of the MDX comes at a cost. It has no exterior cladding to resist dings and has uncharacteristically thin sheet metal on the doors. I have not seen many MDX who have no dings in their pristine doors. Others have added mouldings, but for the most part they look like an afterthought. All in all the MDX is a great vehicle, but I agree, it has a way to go before it can catch Lexus RX on sheer comfort and features.
Old 07-15-02, 11:09 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bareyb
.... On the other hand, the MDX has more aggressive exterior styling, our RX300's are starting to get the reputation as a "soccer Mom" vehicle... .......

I have just the opposite opinion. I think that the MDX styling is unquestionably bland. To me, it looks like a rolling brick - no graceful lines....very utilitarian....much like a Red Cross ambulance. Sorry.

In fairness, I think that the RX looks like a bumble bee from the back. Hey, we have one and I love it to death. Just my opinion

But when the RX330 is launched in the future, it will blow the competition - trust me- I've seen it. I don't know but perhaps you can say that Giorgio Armani could have designed it. All the right proportions were incorporated on the angles and lines...truly a beautiful SUV. I remember looking at the BMW X5 at the same time as the RX330 on the floor, I couldn't believe that the X5 looked so bland in comparison. And the MDX, which was also there as part of the critique session, to me it looked like it was transformed into something more resembling the Isuzu Trooper. Regarding the MDX interior, it's a candidate in the "Plastic" TV commercial - that's how I saw it after evaluating the interiors of the ML320, X5, and RX330.

But I guess, it's all part of design evolution. When these other guys decide to redesign in the future, who knows what will be next.

Last edited by whitels; 07-15-02 at 11:16 PM.