RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Car Jack for 2001 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 01:51 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Any leads for a seam adapter for jack-stands?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that hockey pucks make a good jackstand/rail interface. I don't recall where I read it or how reliable the information is. It might be worth investigating though.
Old 04-26-10, 04:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I seem to remember reading somewhere that hockey pucks make a good jackstand/rail interface. I don't recall where I read it or how reliable the information is. It might be worth investigating though.
I've heard the same thing myself, but can't recall either where I first heard it from, but it had to have gone back to my youth for sure.
Old 04-26-10, 05:02 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I thought of that and posted it. I have yet to get my hand on one puck and then will figure out how to cut a groove in it. But this will work for floor-jack. Now that I have learned how to use floor jack at the back, my priority is now shifted to jack-stand adapter.

Salim
Old 05-06-10, 09:19 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get Husky quickpump suv floorjack. the price is right, less than 100 bucks, and it wont be too big for storage. you dont want a fancy and too expensive one that you only use it once in a while. Mine is like this one, except it comes with a standard jack post, not like the one on the link below that comes with extra high jack post. You don't want a high jack post since you can't use it on low clearance cars. Quickpump is a very nice option.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/3-ton-suv-s...=61&zmap=77429
Old 07-25-16, 05:26 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
I have one of those jacks for my smaller cars, and I also have a heavy duty one. But this
2 1/4 jack along with the 3tons will not lift the RX enough to even get the wheel off; that's why I went ahead and purchased bigger heavy duty jacks for this and my minivan. So, if your planning on using this for the RX then don't buy it, it's definitely not safe enough to crawl underneath.
Make sure to always use jack stands no matter what you use to jack up the car!
Originally Posted by Francis
I have the Craftsman 2-1/4 floor Jack. I bought it 2 years ago on black Friday for $40 wow. It is very small and came with a case so it is very easy for storage. It does the job good. I used it to lift the car not hold the car. I have 2 jack stand to hold the car. If your purpose of the floor jack is to hold the car, you should buy a heavy duty one. GL
hey hyper! i'm thinking about getting the craftsman 2 1/2 low profile and am wondering if what you're saying is accurate about not being able to get the wheels off. the rx has a 7.7" clearance and the jack lifts 14". is that not enough? i can get it really cheap so i thought it might be nice to have. otherwise i wouldn't spend more money to get a different one just because i'd rarely use it and these things don't have lifetime warranties. i'd just use it to remove tires only and place on to stands.
Old 07-25-16, 05:56 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Another product to consider is the HF 3 ton floor jack. Sometimes they are on sale for $78 or less with coupons. 18 -1/4" lift. No issues for over 5 years of use so far on our SUVs and dozens of friends that want to work on their cars in my driveway.
Old 07-25-16, 09:12 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Another product to consider is the HF 3 ton floor jack. Sometimes they are on sale for $78 or less with coupons. 18 -1/4" lift. No issues for over 5 years of use so far on our SUVs and dozens of friends that want to work on their cars in my driveway.
yes if i actually started using one more then i'd probably get that one, but as of now i'd feel like it'd be a waste to get it. do you know how much lift we need to get the tires off?
Old 07-25-16, 10:23 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by hsmac
yes if i actually started using one more then i'd probably get that one, but as of now i'd feel like it'd be a waste to get it. do you know how much lift we need to get the tires off?
There is a decal in the door jamb that has the weight [unladen]. For one side divide by 2. For safety multiply by 1.5.

Salim
Old 07-25-16, 10:54 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

There is a decal in the door jamb that has the weight [unladen]. For one side divide by 2. For safety multiply by 1.5.

Salim
i was referring to how many inches (in floor jack terms) the rx needs to be lifted to remove the tires. i'm not sure what you're talking about but i'm guessing it's not that.
Old 07-26-16, 01:26 AM
salimshah

I use a slotted 4x4x4 block. This helps position it under the seam at recommended points and gives me the elevation. I have not measured the frame hight from ground.

Salim
Old 07-26-16, 05:03 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
hey hyper! i'm thinking about getting the craftsman 2 1/2 low profile and am wondering if what you're saying is accurate about not being able to get the wheels off. the rx has a 7.7" clearance and the jack lifts 14". is that not enough? i can get it really cheap so i thought it might be nice to have. otherwise i wouldn't spend more money to get a different one just because i'd rarely use it and these things don't have lifetime warranties. i'd just use it to remove tires only and place on to stands.

In regards to how much lift is needed, I haven't measured. You can't use ground clearance as a measurement because the suspension has travel when lifted.

​+1, this is what I use now as well.
Old 07-26-16, 05:49 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

I thought of that and posted it. I have yet to get my hand on one puck and then will figure out how to cut a groove in it. But this will work for floor-jack. Now that I have learned how to use floor jack at the back, my priority is now shifted to jack-stand adapter.

Salim
In regards to how much lift is needed, I haven't measured. You can't use ground clearance as a measurement because the suspension has travel when lifted.

​+1, this is what I use now as well.
if i get the adapter would i place the floor jack next to the pinch weld so that i could place the jack stand on the pinch weld? or if i wanted to leave the jack there with the stand for extra support where would each go ideally? i'd want to place the floor jack (when lifting) and the stand (when sitting) both on the same weld but of course this isn't possible.

does anyone have experience with the costco arcan jack? not sure if it's appreciably better, but maybe worth it for peace of mind due to lifetime warranty.
Old 07-26-16, 10:17 PM
salimshah

I jack up at the seam welds and place the jack stands underneath the frame rails. You will know once you crawl under. Remember never put the jack or the stand underneath the suspension. [no flex from the vehicle to the jacks -> ground.

Salim
Old 07-27-16, 05:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I jack up from the front of the car under the engine on the frame (as shown in the manual), I then place the jack stands at the welds. Same for the back.
Old 07-27-16, 11:07 AM
salimshah

I jack up from the front of the car under the engine on the frame (as shown in the manual), I then place the jack stands at the welds. Same for the back.
This does not work well for me as my Jack stands have notch in the middle then flat shoulders and raised tips at the end, The frame rails sit nicely in the flats and the tips work as book-ends. But on the seam the tips contact the RX. Just could be an issue with the Jack stands,

Salim

Quick Reply: Car Jack for 2001 RX300