RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Anybody have AC promblems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 03:42 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have AC promblems?

Ok, It was about 90 out here in Shaolin, and i was sweating in my RX. My friends have been telling me that my AC isn't as cold as its supposed to be for about the last month but I just thought I was me being cheap because I wasnt turning it up all the way. (And I like Driving with my windows open & some DMX pumping)
Well today its was on full blast and I wasnt really feeling it
So i thought maybe it was because it was just too hot so i jumped into my friends '92 Altima and it was freezing...So now I know somethings up and they were right. Is this a promblem with RX's?....
Old 06-11-02, 04:40 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

possibly you got a rock throuh the condensor.ive seen that many times
Old 06-11-02, 04:52 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default ????

I sincerely hope you didn't mean to say you had the windows, or sunroof, open, even a teeny weensy bit, while trying to cool the RX cabin.

It won't do that!

On a hot day it will have problems initiaaly cooling the cabin down with four adults inside. It does not have any surplus capacity, just adequate for the job.

And I hope your definition of "full blast" is "MAX COOL" (64F) in fully automatic mode, just turning the blower up to maximum wont do it.

Last edited by wwest; 06-11-02 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 05:12 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

hey camsrx3, i from shaolin too. i didnt think there were any other members here even close to nyc. anyway hit me up, we'll talk, what part u from, school, our rx's etc. keep an eye and ear out for me too, ill be pumpin the hottest rap esp WU TANG.
Old 06-11-02, 10:28 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

Default Re: ????

Originally posted by sooner
possibly you got a rock throuh the condensor.ive seen that many times
Thanks for the tip, I guess I should tell the dealer to check it out, (after they tell me there is nothing wrong with it of course)
Originally posted by wwest
I sincerely hope you didn't mean to say you had the windows, or sunroof, open, even a teeny weensy bit, while trying to cool the RX cabin.
It won't do that!
No, everything was closed
And I hope your definition of "full blast" is "MAX COOL" (64F) in fully automatic mode, just turning the blower up to maximum wont do it.
Full Blast, MAx CooL, same *****

Last edited by CAmsRX3; 06-11-02 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 10:35 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

WHUt up Sprinkles..Didnt think any CL RX members where from the island.. I live in BullS Head/SpringviLLe..what bout u? Got any pics of your Whip? maybe I seen it around before. PM me......
Old 06-12-02, 08:22 AM
Goncookoo

Yup, my car seems to be blowing slightly less cooler air too. I never seemed to notice it till last week when it was pretty hot here in Boston and I was driving on the highway for quite some time and my AC just didnt seem to be working as it did when I first got my car.

I havent touched a cars' AC unit since my old '89 carrolla had to get freon refills every summer. Do we still use freon now-a-days? I think we use the new ozone free freon or something. Is it even still called freon? Can we still refill the damn thing ourselves or do we need to bring it to the dealer.

Maybe we just need to refill the "freon" or get it recharged?

-Paul
Old 06-12-02, 08:43 AM
Sooner
Pole Position

u use r-134a and you shouldnt need to get it refilled that often have the a/c cheked out if you are under50k or 4 yrs it should be under warranty as long as flying debris didn't hit the condensor
Old 06-13-02, 09:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Compressor stalls

Intermittent problem for the last 2+ years occurs when running the A/C in heavy rain. Seems that after splashing through a deep puddle on the right side, the compressor stalls, causing the A/C light to flash. I simply cycled the button, and the compressor restarts with no problem.

The manual says to contact the dealer, so I mentioned this on one of my service visits. The service writer seemed to know about the problem, and that is a known issue. He claims my solution was correct, but it sounds like a band-aid. I’m not sure if water splashing up on to the compressor causes the belt to slip, or the clutch to slip or disengage, or perhaps some thermal shock trips off the compressor. Has anyone else experienced this? It resets immediately and gives no further problems – until the next heavy rain. I’m mystified...
Old 06-13-02, 10:11 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default wet drive belts

Initial compressor startup requires a HUGH level of torque, if the drive belt is wet then it will begin slipping on this initial requirement and the system will not automatically do a retry (disengage the electromagnetic compressor clutch, wait a few seconds, and then re-engage) so it is left to you to do that.

You can test it with a simple garden hose.
Old 06-13-02, 10:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow Yeah, but...

That was my first thought too, ww, but it doesn't occur on A/C startup, but while running normally, often during initial cool-down cycle - usually about 20 minutes, here in the tropics. Of course, IF the compressor cycles at exactly the right time, it might be caught flat-footed, stuck against high head pressure, but it seems to occur just as I drive through the puddle. Coincidence? Happens too often. Belt's OK, but the stall seems to occur without any noticeable sound from down under. First thing you notice is the A/C is blowing hot air. Cycle the A/C button, and all returns to normal. Difficult to believe it's just belt slippage. Perhaps a small gremlin...?

It's not a serious problem; it's only happened 8-10 times in 2 years....but it is odd...anyone else?
Old 06-13-02, 12:47 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default My fault

I didn't mean initial SYSTEM startup, the A/C compressor cycles on and off continuously as long as the climate control "needs" cooling functionality. The A/C compressor might be "on" for 2 minutes and then off for three, for instance. Each time it restarts the initial torque load on the belt is about 5 times more than the running torque.

The A/C compressor is used to pressurize the refrigerant entering the condensor side of the system. There is a pressure switch that actiavtes the compressor as the condensor pressure side gets low and then that same switch signals the compressor "off" once the pressure has risen. Unless the cooling demand is extraordinarily high the A/C compressor (clutch) will cycled on and off as a function of cooling load.

Last edited by wwest; 06-13-02 at 12:53 PM.