RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clear Rear Markers: Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 10:50 AM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Rear Markers: Installed!

So the wife bugged me to death about installing some clear rear markers to replace the red ones in the back because they didn't match the front anymore. So what the heck, I ordered another pair of markers from the Autobacs guy on Ebay.

I thought I'd be a nice guy and post up how I installed them since I haven't seen anyone else detail the installation.

Step:
1> Remove the rear mud flap. 4 screws(3 in wheel well, 1 on bottom.

2> This exposes a bottom screw that holds the bumper to the well molding. Remove that too.

3> Remove the 2 black plastic tabs inside the wheel well that secures the molding to the frame. I had to use 2 mini screw drivers to pry underneath the black tabs and push together the fasteners.

4> Pry back the wheel well molding now and you should be able to expose a screw that secures the bumper to the rear quarter panel. This screw silver and is pointed upwards. Its at the very end, inside the bumper.

5> Removing this screw will allow you to pull the bumper off a little bit(you'll probably pop a plastic fastner at the corner of the car, its ok, you can pop it back when you're done.)

6> You can now use the small 10mm(I think) wrench to loosen the bolt that holds the reflector to the bumper. You'll have to do this mostly by feel. But I have big hands and it wasn't too hard.

7> Pop off the reflector and detach it from the wire harness... Install clear corner(upside down from the front). NOTE: The fit of the clears is not perfect. I had to use a metal file to shave down some of the plastic on the back of the reflector to get it to sit right.

8> Everything goes back on in reverse.

I used the little Lexus Toolkit to do the whole installation except for filing the plastic. The rears were easier to do than the front passenger side clear corner. I still have nightmares about that *(&#)$%&!@

I also took digital pics of the process and the end result. If anyone would like me to post them after I get back this weekend, let me know.

Hope this helps everyone. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Old 06-05-02, 11:36 AM
nerdspeed
Rookie

Talking wow

post up pics!!!! :eek:
Old 06-05-02, 05:16 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

THANK YOU!
Old 06-05-02, 10:11 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

maxlex, do you have the sellers e-mail addy? he no longer sells on e-bay and i cannot find the clear lenses anywhere. i got a pair from another seller but i need a set for the rear.........thanks
Old 06-06-02, 01:35 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

mad props maxlex, congrats!!

man sounds hard to do tho... seems like you got to remove and pull alot of stuff out before you can reach inside.

Does it look nice tho???

pics bro pics
Old 06-09-02, 09:49 AM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

DOH. The pics I took are too large to post.

I'll have to try to size them down.

Shonuff, you're right. The Autobacs guy isn't selling them on Ebay anymore. It looks as if his user account has been suspended. But his email address is autobacs1@hotmail.com

I'm getting some interesting looks from other RX owners now that the truck is all silvered out. Damn those front turn lenses though... they're the only yellow left.
Old 06-09-02, 11:08 AM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

i'll size em down for u if u want just email em to me at paulthomson@attbi.com