RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Mold Pitting on Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 08:24 PM
FastEC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mold Pitting on Window Trim

Has anyone experienced mold pitting on their RX window trim? Is there any way to get rid of this mold and refurbish the window trim or does it have to be replaced? The car has been washed regularly since I purchased it new and this mold pitting has been on the trim for years. I once asked the service department at my Lexus delaership when it was newer and they said you have to replace all the trim. I didn't know if this was BS to make them more money or the truth, but everything I have tried over the years has failed to make the window trim look any better. I am currently trying to refurbish all of the items on my RX that are beginning to make it look aged, such as the grille, rims, peeling finish on roof tracks, yellowed/fogging headlights, etc. (hence all my questions), and this is the one thing that has been driving me crazy for years. I see it a lot on cars here in Florida and have had it happen on other SUVs I have had and wonder if it is just a product of our environment or if there is something that can be done to stop the mold problem. I would hate to replace all the window trim just to have it happen again in a couple of years, especially if anyone knows how to refurbish the trim.
Old 03-21-10, 08:10 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Not that there's a great deal of difference in climate, but I have it on mine as well. I've tried cleaning it with several different automotive rubber and vinyl cleaners and I haven't had any luck. I have reached the point where I've just resigned myself to replacing them next time I do major maintenance. I would be interested in anyone having success with this as well.
Old 03-22-10, 06:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I didn't have an issue in Mexico City, but back in Florida again, I know exactly what you're talking about and see the issue on other cars and agree with BurnishedGoldRX that they'd probably need replacement at some point.
Old 03-22-10, 08:15 PM
FastEC
Driver School Candidate

I read on some other threads to try #0000 steel wool or Mr. Clean magic eraser. Well, I'm kind of afraid to use any kind of steel wool or abrasive without taping everything off so I tried the Mr. Clean route real quick for a test today. I did a quick rubdown of my bottom window moldings and the trim around the rear and front triangle windows and it did make quite a difference in the amount of visible mold pitting. The Mr. Clean eraser was black and brown with mold when I finished and I just washed the car yesterday. I made sure to rinse it immediately after using the Mr. Clean, as I don't know exactly what chemicals they use in their pads. I am going to do a more precise cleaning the next time I wash my RX and then try dressing the rubber with a rubber dressing or detailer. I know Maguire's makes an auto trim detailer, but I can't find it around here. The Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach show is here next week and I'm going to the Maguire's tent and talk to them about cleaning the mold and see if I can find the trim detailer, otherwise I'll try a bottle from their online store. Just wanted to give everyone a quick update that while it didn't totally solve the problem yet, it made a huge difference in the noticable amount of mold and pitting, as you have to get up really close to see it now without applying any detailer to shine it up yet.
Old 03-22-10, 08:22 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by FastEC
I read on some other threads to try #0000 steel wool or Mr. Clean magic eraser. Well, I'm kind of afraid to use any kind of steel wool or abrasive without taping everything off so I tried the Mr. Clean route real quick for a test today. I did a quick rubdown of my bottom window moldings and the trim around the rear and front triangle windows and it did make quite a difference in the amount of visible mold pitting. The Mr. Clean eraser was black and brown with mold when I finished and I just washed the car yesterday. I made sure to rinse it immediately after using the Mr. Clean, as I don't know exactly what chemicals they use in their pads. I am going to do a more precise cleaning the next time I wash my RX and then try dressing the rubber with a rubber dressing or detailer. I know Maguire's makes an auto trim detailer, but I can't find it around here. The Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach show is here next week and I'm going to the Maguire's tent and talk to them about cleaning the mold and see if I can find the trim detailer, otherwise I'll try a bottle from their online store. Just wanted to give everyone a quick update that while it didn't totally solve the problem yet, it made a huge difference in the noticable amount of mold and pitting, as you have to get up really close to see it now without applying any detailer to shine it up yet.
Thanks for the update. I have a Mr. Clean eraser in the other room - good idea. I don't think they use any chemicals in the erasers. The foam they make the eraser out of is called melamine foam and the make-up of the foam is such that it acts as a very fine sandpaper-like abrasive. That's why it wears away as you clean. I would think that the Mr. Clean followed by some 303 would be pretty good. The rain should be gone here tomorrow and I'm going to have to try this out. Do keep us updated if you find anything out. I'll take before and after pics of what I manage to achieve and will post them if it works out well.