RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

This is embarrassing for a SUV.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-02, 10:09 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is embarrassing for a SUV.....

Ok, granted, everytime i get into my Lex, i feel like driving like a madman. Im the A-hole u see on the road who always does atleast twice the limit and weaving in and out with no signals and flying by you within 1/2" from your mirrors.

Anyway, couple nights ago i was doing my banzai run on a straight freeway with little to no cars. I brought my baby to 110mph and it hit the limiter(first time ever). Left the gas and still maintain top speed.

Then, i hit a white box thing in my lane, it was 2AM and i didnt see it in time. I didnt even swerve around it, because i was talking on my cell and doing 110 at the same time. So i hit it fair and square..........BANG!!!!!.........

I sensed something was amiss, because it was pretty dman LOUD. Then after about 1/2 a mile i slow down to 100. i start to feel the car pulling to the right slightly..............Then i slowed way down because i knew and felt i had a flat..........I stopped the car and jumped out. Right rear tire was deflated but wheel has no damage. Called roadside assistance and they were there to change it in 30 minutes.

Still have no idea what i hit, but was seriously pissed that my "off-road" vehicle can get a flat???!!! Am i suppose to be invincible????!! Hehehe.
Old 05-30-02, 10:23 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

It's not funny how often RXs get a flat tire. When I still had mine, I must have fixed at least half a dozen flat tires in a three year period. Never took it off-road (who does, anyway?) nor ever on a non-paved road. It's annoying as heck. My sister's RX has had three flats already in less than a year of its existence. Stupid flat tires...
Old 05-30-02, 10:35 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

I hope this is not a pattern, but granted i hit that thing pretty hard and at TOP SPEED. But i got mine for only 4 months and if i get a flat every 4 months, ur experience is about right!!
By the way, the lex dealer fixed the flat for $4!!!! and im running on the fixed one now. How cheap is that??!! Tech did warn me to take it easy and check pressure often in the next couple months. What pressures are u guys running now for great on-road performance?? Im doing 32PSI now. Thanks.

Originally posted by Harrier
........had three flats already in less than a year of its existence. Stupid flat tires...
Old 05-30-02, 10:54 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

You shouldn't expect a lot of sympathy concerning your situation when you preface your message with the admission that you drive like an "***."

A lot of us are courteous and safe drivers who may enjoy enthusiast driving but not at the expense of others'side mirrors.

Have a nice day.

Edited:
For typing wyile intoxicated. Which si not dangerous to others.

Last edited by maxlex; 05-30-02 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 11:14 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Never was expecting sympathy, i knew what im doing and im responsible for my own actions. Never try to endanger others..........atleast not on purpose.

Originally posted by maxlex
You shouldn't expect a lot of sympathy concerning your situation when you preface your message with the admission that you drive like an "***."
Have a nice day.

Edited:
For typing wyile intoxicated. Which si not dangerous to others.
Old 05-31-02, 12:17 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

haha Johns crazy, but its ok... sorry to hear about the flat... now you gotta think twice about them rims... but man RIMS would be blinging
Old 05-31-02, 01:05 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Trust me when get them 19s or 20s, i'll drive like a grandma, so im destroying my stock ones now. hehe.

Originally posted by spinteews
haha Johns crazy, but its ok... sorry to hear about the flat... now you gotta think twice about them rims... but man RIMS would be blinging
Old 05-31-02, 09:05 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Maybe your tires were too hot becuase of the 100+ speeds...just a guess.

I don't see how flat tires are the fault of the RX - just the tires that are on it. I have the crappy Goodyears and have had only one flat and it was my fault becuase I ran over a nail. I had it plugged and am still driving on it.

JohnsRX, check the inside of your driver side door for the correct tire pressure (when cold). I would say 32psi is okay.
Old 05-31-02, 09:21 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default WOW

Nightime, 110MPH, talking on cellphone, didn't see "white box" like thing in time....

Over-driving headlights and brain simultaneously will do that.

How sure are you that that "white box" wasn't a VW rabbit?

Consider yourself extremely lucky and if you plan to even do that again don't do it on any repaired tires and please let me know in advance so I can be sure me and mine are far away.
Old 05-31-02, 09:35 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Duh...

Its been shown that a person talking on the cell phone (even handsfree) has as much attention to the road as a drunk driver. And driving at 110? Go figure!

You never know the contents of any "white box" lying on the road. At 110, even a small rock can send your invincble RX flying (or flipping over)

I DO take my RX offroad (in AZ & WA) and (touch wood) havent got any flats on the Integrity. I have videos but they are 100s of MB. Maybe someday I will post it on my website with lower resolution

Senthil
Old 05-31-02, 10:51 AM
white01
Driver

Dont get me started on these U-Haul trailer tires, and mean cmon' everytime I look at them - even with the proper air pressure these tires tend to "rollover" on themselves. I got two words for you SIDE-WALL, or lack thereof. I can't wait to get these things off, in the next a couple of weeks I am going to put some "H" rated tires on this thing. Probably the Pirelli Scorpion ST. I'll worry about rims later. I'll and more than willing to sacrifice a little smoothness for stability. John anything other than a straight-line with these tires at highspeed is risky.
Old 06-01-02, 09:51 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you that have horror stories about flat tires, did the tires just loose air? I mean, no nail or puncture of any type was involved?
Old 06-01-02, 01:45 PM
RXKen
Driver

In our case 2 of the 3 flats were due to a puncture where the tread meets the sidewall because the Goodyear Integritys ride too much on that part of the tire when on a RX-300, some of the sidewall actually ends up being on the pavement and if punctured, like ours was, is basically ruined, can't repair it there.

The other was a blow out, not sure what caused it.

Currently we have a tire that continues to lose air. In the past year it has been in to 3 different shops and none could find the leak, yet after a couple of weeks the tire would require more air. Now that interval is down to a day and a half to two days at best, thus getting all new tires to get rid of the Goodyears that have been nothing but trouble.

Before they pull this tire though I'll have them check it to see if they can find a leak, bet they don't...
Old 06-02-02, 02:59 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

heheh well theres another reason for your john to get some rims

once your stocks are ****ed up then you'll new new bigger ones
Old 06-02-02, 08:09 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default ....sigh........

again, i have to admit im a reckless, BUT safe driver, if that make any sense at all. But thats how i drive and i can drive "safe" like anybody............its just not my style.

Quick Reply: This is embarrassing for a SUV.....