RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sun visor confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 07:04 AM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sun visor confusion!

Hello!
I have a 1999 model, which I would suspect have the "original" style sun visors, probably, based on how they look compared to the later ones I am finding on eBay.
I need to replace them since the drivers is worn out and flops down. I want to replace them as a pair so they match nicely, and the passenger one seems slightly loose, anyway.

Mine is this one, see below:

I've found TWO other "newer" looking styles....

Option 1:
This one, with the same separate pieces that slide out to block the sun. This looks newer and has different warning labels on it.

Option 2:
This one also appears to be newer with the same newer warning labels, like the one above, but the whole thing slides out from the post instead of having a separate piece that slides out to block the sun. It also has the newer style homelink button with a little house where the light is. This makes me believe this one is even newer than the option shown above.

Disregard the color difference as I believe this to simply be a difference in lighting conditions, but let me know if you disagree, as I am not certain.

My questions:
Is one more appropriate for a 1999 (in other words, will one fit correctly and perhaps the other will not?
Is one of them an "upgrade"? - My thought is the one with the separate sliding piece may have been an upgrade with the Premium Pkg, but I do not know for sure.
Is one a more "reliable" unit? Perhaps one is a better design and will not loosen up over time like the original has?

I have a 2004 Avalon, which has the same style sun visors as what you see in Option 1, that car has almost 250k miles on it and the visors work great. I'm inclined to think that may be the way to go. I have also had a bad experience with visors in a Mercedes that were similar to Option 2, and they became loose and wouldn't stay up.

Thanks for any insight you all can provide! I would like to order a pair, and thought I'd check in here for any input prior to spending about a hundred bucks.
Old 07-30-21, 08:52 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Might want to try crimping the original one a little and see if you can get it to work again. https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forum...-wont-stay-up/
The following users liked this post:
maxSteel (07-30-21)
Old 07-30-21, 09:39 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

These are production model differences. I would ask the seller to confirm that it would fit your model and in case it does not you can send it back.

I wish I could confirm, but I did the successful swap in my RX or SC ... just not sure which one.

Salim
Old 07-30-21, 09:52 AM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

I got impatient and wanted to order a set.

I ordered this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274869773811

Image for reference:

My thought here is that I would opt for the alternative design (entire visor slides out of the post, as opposed to the separate plastic piece that slides out) hoping that it would be more reliable than the other design. This may or may not be the case, but since mine failed, it is worth a shot. Also, this design appears to be newer, so I would suspect, or at least hope for an improvement.

I did not want to opt for a repair, because mine had overall ugly warning stickers that were sliding off due to heat, and age, etc. and just prefer to have a replacement set that look nicer.

Thank you for any input. I will report back on the result after receiving and attempting the install, for any parties that may be curious in the future.
Old 07-30-21, 11:16 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

The major difference in use is ...
with the mini slider you can extend it to cover the gap in the front when sun is near the rear view mirror.
The full slider has the advantage when you turn the shade along the driver side window and you can extend it out [much more use for passenger sitting behind the front passenger with the Sun at the front corner.

Salim.
Old 07-30-21, 11:52 AM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Thank you, this makes sense. I rarely ever use any functionality other than folding it down, per usual, but probably would prefer this over the sliding piece.

I will share post-install photos and a quick review once I receive them for anyone interested.
Old 08-04-21, 01:10 PM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Just to follow up, swapping to another set of visors, albeit a different design, worked with absolutely no problem. They mounted up and fit into place perfectly.

These visors snap back and stay up perfectly. I do not know if that is attributed to their different design (could be improved?) or just that they are less "used" than my original ones.

In any case, they work great. I would suspect they may not be as heavy without the extra plastic sliders built-in, so perhaps the weight helps them not to wear out so quickly. They do seem lighter.