RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need Quiet Tires !! (2001 RX-300)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 10:45 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Quiet Tires !! (2001 RX-300)

Hi Guys,

I come back a few years later asking again for a quiet tire recommendation.

Last time, my GY OEM's were starting to scream and wearing out @ 30K

After exhaustive research here and at the tire rack, we settlrd on the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas from Costco.

The difference was night and day, especially handling wise; it really felt like a totally different vehicle!

Very quiet but "hard" on the bumps but that was OK.

Now we are at 40K on them with plenty of tread wear left but they have turned very noisy, humming and howling above 40 MPH.

I guess we got our money out of them even though they are an 80K tire,

I want to try something different this time and welcome your ideas.

We live in the SF Bay Area, FWD, drive like old people and care about the quietest tire we can get, within reason$.

Looking forward to your experiences!

thx

bob
Old 02-20-10, 06:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Take them back to the store you bought them from and tell them the noise is unacceptable. There's probably a reason for this and they may be able to figure it out.

We've had Goodyear Integrities on our RX300 from new. Not an impressive off-road tire and not particularly long wearing but very quet and the ride is very smooth so we've stayed with them.
Old 02-20-10, 07:18 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Take them back to the store you bought them from and tell them the noise is unacceptable. There's probably a reason for this and they may be able to figure it out.

We've had Goodyear Integrities on our RX300 from new. Not an impressive off-road tire and not particularly long wearing but very quet and the ride is very smooth so we've stayed with them.
How many miles do you have on your GY's? Ours were quiet at first, too.

Wait until you get "real" tires on it. You will think you traded for a new sports car!

thx

bob
Old 02-20-10, 01:37 PM
EnzoRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steelgtr,

I also live in the Bay Area. I last purchased tires at Costco in 2003 and they were Michelin Cross Terrains in the 225/70/16 size. I only put 41,000 miles on them in the 6+ years that I had them on our 2001 RX300.

I have heard that the usual rule of thumb is 6 years for tires before you need to replace them. So it was time to replace them even though they looked like they had plenty of tread life left.

Costco no longer carries the Michelin Cross Terrains (I also read somewhere in these forums that the CT's have been discontinued). Well, Costco has a sale on right now for $70 off Michelins and $60 off BF Goodrich tires (I think they are on sale until Mar 7, 2010). I ended up purchasing the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour tires in 225/70/16. They were $106 each plus all the taxes and fees we have to pay here in CA. I also replaced the spare tire as well since it was the original Bridgestone that came with the RX in 2001 (I was too lazy to include the spare in my tire rotations).

I went to tirerack.com to see the reviews of these BF Goodrich tires and the reviews were pretty good. I had them installed last night at Costco so I have not had much seat time with the new tires. I ordered the tires online and they were delivered to the Costco warehouse that I specified the very next day.

Since the RX is the wife's car, she will know better on the performace of these new tires. But I somehow doubt that she will be able to discern them from the old CT's. From my drive home from Costco, I did notice that they were quieter than the Cross Terrains (then again, the CT's had over 40,000 miles on them and they were almost 7 years old). The RX seemed to ride smoother too. But this may all be placebo effect too.

Best of luck in your search. Let us know what you decide to get.
Old 02-20-10, 01:45 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have Michelin Cross Terrains on my 1999 RX300 AWD and after 65K there is still lots of tread left. Sad that they have been discontinued.
Old 02-20-10, 04:30 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Thanks, Enzo

Just curious why you went with the BFG's over the Mich's?

The Mich's are really expensive so I will probably check the reviews at TR.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any more thoughts after driving some more.

bob

Originally Posted by EnzoRX
steelgtr,

I also live in the Bay Area. I last purchased tires at Costco in 2003 and they were Michelin Cross Terrains in the 225/70/16 size. I only put 41,000 miles on them in the 6+ years that I had them on our 2001 RX300.

I have heard that the usual rule of thumb is 6 years for tires before you need to replace them. So it was time to replace them even though they looked like they had plenty of tread life left.

Costco no longer carries the Michelin Cross Terrains (I also read somewhere in these forums that the CT's have been discontinued). Well, Costco has a sale on right now for $70 off Michelins and $60 off BF Goodrich tires (I think they are on sale until Mar 7, 2010). I ended up purchasing the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour tires in 225/70/16. They were $106 each plus all the taxes and fees we have to pay here in CA. I also replaced the spare tire as well since it was the original Bridgestone that came with the RX in 2001 (I was too lazy to include the spare in my tire rotations).

I went to tirerack.com to see the reviews of these BF Goodrich tires and the reviews were pretty good. I had them installed last night at Costco so I have not had much seat time with the new tires. I ordered the tires online and they were delivered to the Costco warehouse that I specified the very next day.

Since the RX is the wife's car, she will know better on the performace of these new tires. But I somehow doubt that she will be able to discern them from the old CT's. From my drive home from Costco, I did notice that they were quieter than the Cross Terrains (then again, the CT's had over 40,000 miles on them and they were almost 7 years old). The RX seemed to ride smoother too. But this may all be placebo effect too.

Best of luck in your search. Let us know what you decide to get.
Old 02-20-10, 10:12 PM
EnzoRX
Driver

Hi steelgtr,

The reason I went with the BFG's was price.

I was torn between getting the more expensive Michelins. But the two other Michelin products that Costco sells were $165 (X Radial LT2) and $176 (Latitude Tour) each. I would have to spend at least around $300 more to go with Michelins (remember I replaced all 5 tires).

Our RX is coming up to be 9 years old soon. I dunno if I could justify the extra expense...especially when our RX does not put on much mileage in a given year. And besides, for $106 for each tire...the price was decent for a decent tire. And the reviews on tirerack.com for the BFG's were pretty good. So that's what convinced me to go with the BFG's.

We have only put on 50 miles on the BFG's since yesterday. And as I guessed...after my wife took the RX out for a few errands today, I asked her what she thought of the new tires and she told me she could not tell any difference. Oh yeah, I also went to a Big O Tire store to get the 4 wheel alignment today too. Just want to make sure that these tires wear normally.

PM me in the future if ya want some updates. Good luck with the tire search, steelgtr.
Old 02-21-10, 07:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I think the Cross Terrains do continue in the 235-70-16 size, http://www.michelinman.com/tires/suv...specifications

And that size is the one I have used since July 2002 on the RX.
Old 02-21-10, 07:05 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I think the Cross Terrains do continue in the 235-70-16 size, http://www.michelinman.com/tires/suv...specifications

And that size is the one I have used since July 2002 on the RX.
Cool,

No problem with the larger than factory (235) size, then?

thx

bob
Old 02-21-10, 07:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by steelgtr
Cool,

No problem with the larger than factory (235) size, then?

thx

bob
Nope, never had an issue with them.

However, I should let you know that compared to the 225 model they no longer sell that the treadwear is only like 400 for the 235 and I think 225 was in the 700s or something. In addition, given the slightly wider width that will ever so slightly affect gas mileage, but not much.

The vehicle felt more like a tank the first time I put the 235s on (I was in Mexico City then), the difference was noticeable.

Thing I do like about these 235s is that the max psi is 44 and I'll run them with 38 psi with nitrogen.
Old 02-21-10, 02:26 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Thanks, Guys

I'm leaning towards the Costco BFG's. Lots of great reviews, *especilally* in the super-quiet department!

bob
Old 06-06-10, 08:58 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Update" Got the BFG's.... HATE THEM !!!

Quiet?, yes. Handling? NOOOO. I feel like I'm not connected to the road. They drift to the right even after 2 Dealer wheel alignments. They don't track for crap. I wish I ha stuck with the BS Alenzas. Hoping Costco will do something!

bob
Old 06-07-10, 05:15 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by steelgtr
They drift to the right even after 2 Dealer wheel alignments. They don't track for crap.
Something's not right. Try putting the left side tires on the right and see if the drift changes. And then the fronts on the rear. Some tires are susceptible to tracking the "crown" in the road but that's pretty unusual (that they would be noticeably worse than any others). Sounds like you may have a bad tire.
Old 06-07-10, 06:16 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Something's not right. Try putting the left side tires on the right and see if the drift changes. And then the fronts on the rear. Some tires are susceptible to tracking the "crown" in the road but that's pretty unusual (that they would be noticeably worse than any others). Sounds like you may have a bad tire.
Left to right is worth trying. Front to back had me worried that it would be the same after the next rotation! Stay tuned

bob
Old 06-07-10, 01:46 PM
mikemacch
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires

I have had Costco michelen $165 (X Radial LT2) on my car for 4 years. I have 70K on them and they look good and run quiet. I had noise coming from the back of the RX and thought it was the tires, turned out to be the wheel bearings. I changed out 2 tires for no reason (they had 65k and still looked good).

The x radial LT2 are worth the money long wearing and quiet.

Mike

Quick Reply: Need Quiet Tires !! (2001 RX-300)