RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

slow acceleration + little shaking from engine in low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 07:00 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Being an old timer (from the days of mechanical distributors), I had a couple of experiences like this when there was a problem with the distributor cap/rotor causing a timing problem. This might add some weight to the suggestion by one poster that the VVT needs to be checked.
Old 02-11-10, 07:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Ymmot
Hi All

hmm my problem still remain.... unstable running in low rpms ...

my new airfilter will not arrive untill next week ..i took out the filter and testdrive to see if it was lack of air coming through..it got worse from removing airfilter so i dont have much hope in that a new airfilter gonna help me out ..

i still do not have a cel light on and i promise i lights on everytime i put ignition on so the bulp is working for sure ...i noticed also gearshifting is not as smooth as i think it should be ..same as b4 when i give some pedal and rpms increase im flying ..but in low rpms it not a pleasent ride at all...

The injection cleaner made no difference..i clenaned maf twice cleaned IACV it was dirty and did not move freely but even though at first it seemed fixed the problem still remain ..

Any suggestions on what i do now ..
I hate to see any more money thrown on this, but when you mention shifting issues then my finger goes to the transmission. It's possible that if the fluid is low or old that it could cause some hesitation, but this is not common by any means. There is a dipstick on the driver's side of the vehicle (red).

I can tell you that we are much more particular with this vehicle with regard to the state of the transmission oil than the engine oil. If this oil is not red, sweet smelling or at normal level when you check the dipstick, that means it's due for a change. Do you know when the transmission oil was last changed?
Old 02-11-10, 08:20 AM
Ymmot
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@sktn77a ... okay n thx for the input ...is that a difficult operation ? ...is there any DIY on that proces ?

@Lexmex .. i would hate to see more money thrown also buuut seems like thats a must ..i really like the car so im not giving up ...i was thinking bout the rough gearshifts but i kinda came to the conclusion that gear change around 1500 i noticed ..and in this case where my angine aint stabile in that area it must give some rough shifts ..

At toyota we checked the oil in gearbox and theý said plenty of that it was red and looked good for my eyes ..ill dobbelcheck on the oil tomorrow morning just to make sure all is as it should be

I just pulled the fuse for ECU to reset it.. see if it would work either by giving me a smooth ride or at least throw that cel on ..none of these happened

As i arrived home from testdrive after reset ecu by pulling fuse ..i let the engine stand in idle i open hood and give it a little trottle with my hand the engine starts shaking and is not balanced at all ...in idle its balanced but from approx 900 rpms it starts shaking and vibrate i cant hear any misfiring or anything like that... just unstable shaking engine ..

one thing is the money i can find a way through that but letting those mechanics here puzzle with my baby without any supervision is not gonna happen

They called me again today to get me to check the id number on the airfilter ..how prof is that .

thanks for the feedback
Old 02-11-10, 08:28 AM
Ymmot
Rookie

I been living my life in this forum for a while now and today i stumbled on this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-service.html
it seems to me the symptoms are very much alike i just dont have any cel on ..

i noticed the timing belt wich i guess is the one on left side covered in a black plastic shield i see on that they changed that belt at 112000 km and in that proces they could have made some error ..outside on the cover of that belt i see they wrote 100.000 km from the fabric thats why i presume its the timing belt ...as i mentioned earlier there is a sticker implying that it got changed at 112.000 ..thats why i thought maybe the issue could be related to the link i put in this
Old 02-11-10, 09:21 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Is there a history record on the vehicle?

It would be great to know when the erratic behavior started.

Salim
Old 02-11-10, 10:41 AM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hi salimshah

Ya you are right however the chance of prevoius owner telling me it started fx 2 months ago would make the atmosphere quite tense ..so i guess he gonna say he never noticed anything ...i can get no usefull info on the story im in south east asia things are different here and i should have checked the car proberly b4 i paid it ..it just charmed me ...could not resist .. cars and girls put me in trouble all the time
Old 02-11-10, 04:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Let me try to be clear.

When you say once it hits 900 rpm and it shakes, is it shaking at anywhere at 900 rpm or more or just at that point?
Old 02-11-10, 07:30 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

it starts shaking form approx 900 -1000 rpm until 1500 rpm then its smooth again
Old 02-11-10, 07:52 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow 4 pages already huh?
Let me take a "whack" at it. Lol J/K.

Since every possibility has been thrown at it.
How about a Fuel Pump?
A weak or clogged fuel pump would also cause a rough idle and low speed drivability problems. As you put load in the engine. The Ecu sees it and increases the voltage on the pump therefore no problems in higher rpms.
I see you have had A/F codes in each Bank so it's possible it's a fuel issue not just air alone.

Next step I would do is to check fuel pressure at idle and under load.
Old 02-11-10, 08:02 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Nad1370 ..thanks for your input

your shot seems to make sense somehow i wanted to check that but realized it was placed inside the tank since the staggering got worse when i removed airfilter meaning more air it could be a sign of not enoug gas in the low rpms...ill check on if i can find a DIY on that proces since it should be something i could do myself
Old 02-11-10, 10:06 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Since right after ECU reset, things seem to get better, It seems it has to do with some sensor or ecu. If possible, an expert needs to look at real time data on OBDII. My widest guess is that some sensor was replaced with a non-oem.

Are there "tuners" in Malysia .... shops that racers go to.

NAD .. I had eliminated IACV and fuel issues as the rpm were in good range and at high speed there is no issue (no starvation of fuel)

I have not heard back about vacuum. This can give you trouble at low rpm and smooth out at high rpm.

Salim
Old 02-11-10, 11:15 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hi Salim

Ill go to toyota now and see if i can book the tech and the it2 scanner n go for a drive to see what is happening ...its impossible to find the solution without the proper diagnose ..

I took of the connection for maf to chack if my cel went on ..it came on as it supposed ...the car stagger more and more still no cel comes on ...

I checked oil in gearbox seems like a milli or 2 above full ...it smells sweet and is red...i just dont see the connection between gearbox oil and shaking engine in low rpms ..when its in P and i give a little throttle straight from the carb it starts shaking untill i reach approx 1500 rpm then smooth again ..in idle 750 rpm its like silk .

Vacum test
VTT
and test drive with it2 scanner hooked up is on my list for toyota ..im located on Bali,indonesia ..malaysia is not an option unless im gonna fly the tech in
Old 02-11-10, 11:40 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Checking fuse box ...i was looking closer at my fusebox ...in the right side of that is placed 3 fuses from top and down 2x 15 A + 25A ...according to the diagram the top fuse was not inserted it was in the bottom underneath the 25A according to the diagram inside the box that is wrong ..i moved it to top but it is not connecting there seem like the slot somehow broken ..so the fuse can go in there but its loose not proper seated as the rest..

What is the top yellow 15A handling its in the right side of the fuse box ?
Old 02-12-10, 12:11 AM
Ymmot
Rookie

here is some shots of that ..i know it most likely not connected to my problem but ..i know im stupid so i post all my findings
Attached Thumbnails slow acceleration + little shaking from engine in low rpms-fusebox.jpg   slow acceleration + little shaking from engine in low rpms-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-14-10, 07:36 AM
Ymmot
Rookie

Is there a fuel pump ecu in this type of car ?

Quick Reply: slow acceleration + little shaking from engine in low rpms