RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Antenna craziness

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 05:12 PM
buyemused
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna craziness

So my recent purchase came with a broken antenna mast. The break was flush with the nut and nothing else remained of the antenna. I went ahead and ordered a new mast off of ebay for $25, which I received today. I hired my lovely wife to help with the installation thinking that this would be an easy DIY. Well, after several tries I couldn't get the nylon cord to feed correctly into the motor. Before I started the replacement I noticed a weird noise coming from the motor as if something was spinning inside of it and not coming out. However, when I initially forced the nylon cord into the motor case the sound disappeared making the motor super quiet, but the cord wouldn't feed correctly. First, I had issues with the motor grabbing the cord. Then, the nylon teeth would start in the back position and spin around to the front position with some grinding noise as this would happen. As much as i tried, I couldn't control the spinning of the nylon cord as it entered the motor case. Should I try again with a better part? Possibly open the motor case? Thank you all for your assistance.
Old 11-06-09, 05:49 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Did you verify the teeth are facing the same direction as the one that came out. I believe they face toward the rear of the car, if you have it backwards it will not feed.

The opening the nylon cord feeds to prior to entering the motor is very small. I've found that bending the last inch of the cord back some will get it to feed straight in.
Old 11-06-09, 05:55 PM
buyemused
Driver School Candidate

There was no cord to compare it too. I'm thinking the antenna broke away with the cord. Right, I figured that the opening was small since it took me forever to engage the motor. The motor will initially grab at the right point, but I'm not understanding why the cord starts to twist into the wrong position.

Thank you
Old 11-06-09, 08:31 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

You need to ensure the old parts are completely out. If you are not sure, you may have to open the motor up. I came across the DIY, so dig a bit.

Salim
Old 11-06-09, 09:29 PM
buyemused
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
You need to ensure the old parts are completely out. If you are not sure, you may have to open the motor up. I came across the DIY, so dig a bit.

Salim
I'm confident everything is out. Then again, I probably should take a look at it. If I check the motor, will i be able to feed the cable manually? Meaning, can I watch the cable be fed into the motor case to ensure its properly positioned?

Thank you
Old 11-07-09, 06:40 AM
salimshah

The motor is encapsulated. The feed tube to the motor below is not transparnt. So every thing is sort of blindfolded. The DIY should tell you the way the notches/gear should face. Keep trying and it would eventually work.

Salim
Old 11-08-09, 05:43 AM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the old nylon cord the same length as the one you are installing? I had to take mine apart to get a piece that broke off inside the motor. My first instinct is Salim is correct. Here are some inside pictures https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...0-antenna.html

I think you will have to take it apart.-

barryst

Last edited by Barryst; 11-08-09 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-08-09, 06:47 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

It's quite possible that the old antenna cable snapped when the antenna itself broke off (see post 4, above). This would leave an unknown length of the old cable inside the antenna mechanism which could prevent the new antenna from being pulled in properly.
Old 11-08-09, 02:19 PM
hopz
Driver School Candidate

Mine was broken also. I got a new antenna shaft with the nylon/teeth.

Had a devil of a time getting it to engage then deduced that the curve of the nylon was curved in such a way as it was impossible or at least damn difficult to engage the teeth of the motor... or to actually get past the ridge in the path of travel.

I heated up a pan of water and straightened out the geared nylon... when it was almost straight I was able to insert it and we got it to engage on the very first try. Been working normally for about a year.

Hope this gives you an idea ... good luck.
Old 11-09-09, 08:11 AM
georgie39
Rookie

Default Radio Antenna

The antenna on my 2002 RX is still functioning perfectly.... and I want to keep it that way
Does any body recommend lubrication of the antenna mast????
I have had a lot of power antennas on my vehicles over the years and I am always hesitant about lubrication. It has been my experience that the lube eventually attracts road dust and forms a sort of hard coating on the mast.
This makes the mast extensions tougher to telescope and puts lot of added stress on the motor.
I usually just run the antenna up three of four times a year and clean it with some mineral spirits and leave it that way.
Any thoughts from forum members?
Old 11-09-09, 08:19 AM
salimshah

If you search this, you will find differing opinions. Any lube that is left over will attract grime and cause more problems. Then there is a mind set that wants no-noise and even tried forcing lube up the drain pipe.

Salim
Old 11-09-09, 02:12 PM
georgie39
Rookie

Default Antenna

WOW!!!!
lubrication up the drain tube???
That sounds like a recipe for creating problems with the antenna motor and the gear drive not to mention the fact that, How would you get lubricant all the way up the drain tube and into the gear drive?
Old 11-09-09, 03:17 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...g-antenna.html
Old 11-09-09, 04:47 PM
salimshah

No right and no wrong answer. What ever makes you feel better.

Salim
Old 11-09-09, 05:37 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

If it ain't broke don't fix it. But if it sounds like a box of rocks run some oil up the drain hole. IMO

Quick Reply: Antenna craziness