RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Lines

Old 10-20-09, 09:08 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Lines

The metal transmission lines right below the radiator on my 02' RX AWD are terribly corroded. Has anyone else had this issue and are the replacement parts a dealer only item??
Old 10-21-09, 04:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by colenzae
The metal transmission lines right below the radiator on my 02' RX AWD are terribly corroded. Has anyone else had this issue and are the replacement parts a dealer only item??
Do you have a picture of this so I can evaluate it for comparison with my own?
Old 10-21-09, 05:59 AM
georgie39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Lines

Yeah........
Mine are badly corroded with rust also.
I have tried to wire brush off the areas of lines I could get to however there are more lines behind the a.c compressor and running to the oil cooler I cant reach. (wire brushing with a motor powered rotary brush has had limited results)
I have considered buying a set of new steel lines and having the rusted lines replaced. OR maybe just buying some neoprene lines and replacing all the steel lines (in fact the whole trans oil cooler plumbing line system) with the neoprene lines.
What's everybody think. Which is the best solution?
Thanks to all forum members
Old 11-01-09, 04:09 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Do you have a picture of this so I can evaluate it for comparison with my own?

Old 11-01-09, 05:45 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, you weren't kidding those look terrible. Now I have to go take a look at mine.
Old 11-02-09, 07:17 AM
georgie39
Rookie

Boy!!!!!
Mine aren't that bad.
It looks like at least you're in for all new steel lines and clamps.
I would be afraid of one of your lines breaking if it got any kind of a severe jolt.
I think you can get a set new steel replacement lines for less than $80.00 from Carson Toyota. (or one of the other Lexus dealers referred to on the forum)
I don't know how you would get access to change some of the lines that are hidden back behind the a. c. compressor and over to where the transmission cooler is located.
Please let us forum members know what you decide to do and how you go about doing it.
Good Luck.........
Old 11-02-09, 08:30 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Yeah, thats what seven New York winters can do!!! Unfortunately, she's never been garaged but the body panels and finish of the car have held up very well.
The area of the first picture (sorry about the large file size; I'll scale them down for future posts) seems to be seeping tranny fluid.
I'll look into getting the lines ASAP and post my results.
Old 11-02-09, 08:51 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like a 100 year old cast iron sewer pipe!!
Old 11-02-09, 06:54 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. This is the first time I have ever seen it is that bad. The car must have been driven at the beach shore, caught with the salt water and was not being rinsed afterward.

You just have scrub it off and see where the damage is.
Old 11-05-09, 10:42 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by georgie39
Boy!!!!!
Mine aren't that bad.
It looks like at least you're in for all new steel lines and clamps.
I would be afraid of one of your lines breaking if it got any kind of a severe jolt.
I think you can get a set new steel replacement lines for less than $80.00 from Carson Toyota. (or one of the other Lexus dealers referred to on the forum)
I don't know how you would get access to change some of the lines that are hidden back behind the a. c. compressor and over to where the transmission cooler is located.
Please let us forum members know what you decide to do and how you go about doing it.
Good Luck.........
I was able to get the lines from my local dealer for $80. They didn't have new screws though and mine are pretty corroded. I'll see how it goes and post my results.....
Old 11-08-09, 09:25 AM
rbslat
Driver School Candidate

just replaced my trans lines today as well. they were in the same condition as colenzae's - that's what 10 years of northeast winters will do. had no choice but to replace them as the rust ate a hole in the line and they were leaking trans fluid pretty badly. while i was at it, i also did the ATF flush described in the DIY thats stickied at the top of this forum. that is an excellent DIY - everything worked out exactly as described - thank you tunedrx300. btw, the transmission lines are a dealer item only - ran me $77 with tax and they were in stock.
Old 11-08-09, 01:11 PM
georgie39
Rookie

Default DIY for replacing steel transmission lines

I cant find the direction to the DIY you mentioned for replacing these steel lines.
Could you please direct me to this link?
If this replacement is not too complicated I might want to try it myself.
Thank you......
Old 11-08-09, 06:28 PM
rbslat
Driver School Candidate

the DIY writeup i mentioned is for the transmission fluid change, not the line replacement. link is below. since my fluid hadnt been changed in a while, i figured i would do both at the same time. replacing the lines is pretty simple, if not a bit messy. there are two bolts that hold the lines in place to the chassis and 4 clamps that secure the rubber hoses to the lines. hardest part is locating the bolts as they are hidden from view.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html
Old 11-09-09, 07:41 AM
georgie39
Rookie

Default Transmission Lines

rbslat....
Thanks for your response.
I have seen the DIY transmission fluid change in the DIY section of our forum.
I just had my transmission fluid changed (pan dropped, Pan and magnets cleaned out)
Fortunately there was no metal in the pan and the transmission looked as clean inside as shown in some transmission photos posted above on this forum.
I will probably have to tackle the transmission line replacement sometime in the spring. I don't have a lift so I will probably have to pay the dealer or an independent shop to change them out. Even with a jack and stands I can barely get underneath the car to move around and it looks like a job that will require some scooting around on your back and reaching behind items in tight spaces.
My lines are moderately rusty (six winters in Cleveland OH.) but I am not going to push my luck. As we all know "rust never sleeps" so eventually I'm sure mine will start seeping fluid also.
Old 08-23-10, 07:16 PM
rced
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by colenzae
I was able to get the lines from my local dealer for $80. They didn't have new screws though and mine are pretty corroded. I'll see how it goes and post my results.....
How did it go. Was it easy to replace?

My wife took her car in today for the same problem and was quoted 350.00 for the parts alone and another 2.5 hours labor. Thats outrageous. They did say they wanted to replace all of the lines from the transmission to the cooler but 280.00 worth? Sorry just venting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Lines