RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is this a rear main seal leak?

Old 10-23-09, 08:52 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Our RX has been sitting in the garage since I discovered the leak. So busy I haven't had time to change the oil!

Would over filling, too much engine or trans oil be a possible cause a leak like this?

I'm usually super careful about how much I put in, but the last time I changed engine oil and drained-n-fill trans, I was in a hurry and put in what I thought was right. My tranny dipstick was slightly over the hot marks(engine warm and running when checked). I'm going to drain a little bit of out and see if I can't get it exact, at least according to the dipstick.
Old 10-23-09, 08:43 PM
hitthepin
Driver

So I started the Auto-RX treatment today. I'm using Penzoil 5w-30 and about 10oz of Auto-RX. Took it out for a about 25 mile ride afterward, mix of highway and stop-n-go.

Got back home and placed a piece of cardboard under the car and so far only a couple of drips. I'll report back after I get more miles on the car.

Edit: Corrected the type of oil I'm using for the Auto-Rx treatment

Last edited by hitthepin; 12-05-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 04:53 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes that is a rear main seal leak... Brings back $*****ty memories of shortly after my trani was rebuilt.
Old 10-29-09, 09:32 AM
hitthepin
Driver

160 miles with Auto-Rx and its still leaking a bit.
Old 10-30-09, 08:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Have you tried a heavier oil?
Old 10-30-09, 11:24 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It worked slowly for me, I think by the rise cycle my seal leak slowed significantly, so give it a little more time. Auto-RX works for me to an extend (still have tiny leak but beats the cost of replacing the whole seal), I hope it will work better for you.
Old 10-30-09, 03:41 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Have you tried a heavier oil?
Not yet. I'm gonna stick with the 5w-30 for the clean and rinse phase. If it doesn't work, I'm going to try a heavier oil with a maintenance dose.

We'll see how it turns out. Worse case is slipping cardboard under the RX so it doesn't mark up the driveway or garage.
Old 10-30-09, 03:43 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
It worked slowly for me, I think by the rise cycle my seal leak slowed significantly, so give it a little more time. Auto-RX works for me to an extend (still have tiny leak but beats the cost of replacing the whole seal), I hope it will work better for you.
Well its already in there with fresh oil so no reason not to complete the treatment.

Just a bit sad that the RX reach the stage whether to put big money repairs into it or move on to something new.
Old 11-01-09, 11:07 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well its already in there with fresh oil so no reason not to complete the treatment.

Just a bit sad that the RX reach the stage whether to put big money repairs into it or move on to something new.
Dealer at Carlsbad did replaced rear main seal twice under warranty. Apparently surgery did not solve my leak, Auto-RX solved 95% to the point I don't have drips overnight. Be patient and let it work slowly.
Old 11-02-09, 10:33 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Dealer at Carlsbad did replaced rear main seal twice under warranty. Apparently surgery did not solve my leak, Auto-RX solved 95% to the point I don't have drips overnight. Be patient and let it work slowly.
Thanks. I really don't want to get rid of the Lexus. It rides unbelievable great and is without a doubt the quietest vehicle we've ever owned. Can't afford to get rid of it anyway so we're stuck with her for better or worse.

Its been almost 370 miles now and I feel like the leak is starting to slow, but wondering if its wishful thinking or its really slowing.
Old 11-02-09, 11:13 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. I really don't want to get rid of the Lexus. It rides unbelievable great and is without a doubt the quietest vehicle we've ever owned. Can't afford to get rid of it anyway so we're stuck with her for better or worse.

Its been almost 370 miles now and I feel like the leak is starting to slow, but wondering if its wishful thinking or its really slowing.
It's slowing. Think positive!
Old 11-03-09, 08:29 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by code58
It's slowing. Think positive!
I think I'll hang an aluminum lasagna pan under the drip to catch whatever is coming down.
Old 11-07-09, 08:57 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Quick update: Almost 500 miles since Auto-rx and its definitely starting to slow.

Com'on Auto-Rx...do your thing!!
Old 11-08-09, 12:03 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Quick update: Almost 500 miles since Auto-rx and its definitely starting to slow.

Com'on Auto-Rx...do your thing!!
Give it time, think positive... it's gonna happen! That's some good stuff. If you saw how baked and hardened those rear main seals get, you'd know what Auto-RX is up against. Glad to hear the good news.
Old 11-08-09, 12:11 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Tuned- can't help but wonder if the guys that changed yours did a wham-bam-thank you ma'am job. When I did my DIL's, I was amazed at the groove it had cut in the C/S. The seal was like a rock so I wasn't much surprised that it had cut a groove. I though Oh my gosh, I'm gonna have to replace the C/S in this thing. I carefully cleaned it down with fine emery cloth and after almost 3 1/2 years there is still not a drop of oil leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a rear main seal leak?