RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 08:13 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Those were brittle as well. My valve cover seals were visibly all cracked but somehow didn't leak. They had no flexibility at all and one corner actually ripped when i attempted to remove the cover. If i didnt have an oil consumption problem, the valve cover seals would have leaked sooner or later.
On this note of using high mileage oil; I used it several times for oil changes already even though I may not have needed it; i just started using it for more for peace of mine then anything. So that hopefully the valve cover seals dont "brittle out" on me. by that i mean so they dont become hard and start to leak etc. For some reason this past oil change I forgot to ask them to use high mileage oil and they put in regular instead. Hopefully it wont pose a problem though when i go to switch back for the next oil change.
Old 02-28-16, 09:56 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
On this note of using high mileage oil; I used it several times for oil changes already even though I may not have needed it; i just started using it for more for peace of mine then anything. So that hopefully the valve cover seals dont "brittle out" on me. by that i mean so they dont become hard and start to leak etc. For some reason this past oil change I forgot to ask them to use high mileage oil and they put in regular instead. Hopefully it wont pose a problem though when i go to switch back for the next oil change.
If your car is already over 100k+ miles, its too late for your valve cover seals. They are externally cracked and the spark plug seals are hard as rock from cycled heat exposure. You've got 2 choices, replace them or pray they don't leak.
Old 02-28-16, 08:37 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
If your car is already over 100k+ miles, its too late for your valve cover seals. They are externally cracked and the spark plug seals are hard as rock from cycled heat exposure. You've got 2 choices, replace them or pray they don't leak.
my mechanic had mentioned last year that my oil was leaking and that i needed fix the valve cover seal or gasket or something.
Old 02-28-16, 08:48 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
73 mm 14 flutes - 1 step should be single one time purchase. I threw out my band type filter tool and the ~ $5 purchase has been great (for my other cars too).

My crib with the filter position is that it drips right on top of the front engine mount. This mount has the electronic inverse kicker to dampen the motor vibration and is an expensive piece to replace. Engine oil and rubber mounts don't like to coexist.

Some one posted that if you loosen the filter ever to slightly to get a gentle stream going, it can be caught in a pan below. I dont have the patience so rags is all I stuff to catch the flood.

Salim
how do i figure out what size i need or does it depend on what filter is in there now and what filter i put in next? it doesn't look like retailers list the diameter of the filter. we have 3 other lexus/toyotas too will this cap fit for those as well?
Old 02-28-16, 09:17 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
how do i figure out what size i need or does it depend on what filter is in there now and what filter i put in next? it doesn't look like retailers list the diameter of the filter. we have 3 other lexus/toyotas too will this cap fit for those as well?
The one I mentioned, fits the OEM filter. The same fits the OEM filter for SC and GS from last century.

Salim
Old 02-28-16, 09:54 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

apart from convenience of installation, does it really matter which oil filter i get? will a $12 filter perform better or outlast a $5 one?
Old 02-29-16, 06:09 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by hsmac
apart from convenience of installation, does it really matter which oil filter i get? will a $12 filter perform better or outlast a $5 one?
OEM is good enough and you can save by buying on line. For the non-oem, we can get into never ending arguments.

Salim
Old 03-01-16, 09:30 AM
Mikerodrig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a mechanic so I do plenty of oil changes on the 3.0l v6 that Toyota put out. This is the best tool that I have used for them:

Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive

I got mine off of the Matco tool truck but this is the same thing. I've tried a bunch of different things including the the filter wrench sockets and the three prong filter remover.
Old 03-04-16, 04:36 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Gents:

I have moved the discussion on oil to a different thread. Lets try to keep this one a DIY and its followup.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Salim
Old 03-07-16, 07:43 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

My typo which I often do (mind to hand coordination).

Unfortunately as a Mod I can not change/fix/modify the title.

Super mod is needed .... Lexmex?

Salim
Old 03-09-16, 11:57 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mikerodrig
I'm a mechanic so I do plenty of oil changes on the 3.0l v6 that Toyota put out. This is the best tool that I have used for them:

Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive

I got mine off of the Matco tool truck but this is the same thing. I've tried a bunch of different things including the the filter wrench sockets and the three prong filter remover.
picking this up tomorrow after spending over an hour unsuccessfully figuring out what size the firestone filter on my car was.

in case anyone wants to know,

denso is 73mm-14 flutes
wix/fram is 74-76mm-15 flutes
mobil1 is 76mm-14 flutes
Old 03-10-16, 10:27 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

You may not like the title, but I had to choose one.

Where is the evidence that you have oil gel problem?
What is the urgency to switch to synthetic oil?

I stand by my suggestion ... top of oil. Run some miles .. engine must sustain operating temperature for about 1/2 hr a few times.

Drain and examine the oil. Decide if you need an additive. I personally do not like them ... that does not mean that no one should use additives. All it means is do your homework. It is your vehicle, do what you please.

Change filter and run regular oil for 3000 miles. Look for leaks and loss of oil.

Then decide to transition to synthetic.

Salim
Old 03-10-16, 11:32 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
You may not like the title, but I had to choose one.

Where is the evidence that you have oil gel problem?
What is the urgency to switch to synthetic oil?

I stand by my suggestion ... top of oil. Run some miles .. engine must sustain operating temperature for about 1/2 hr a few times.

Drain and examine the oil. Decide if you need an additive. I personally do not like them ... that does not mean that no one should use additives. All it means is do your homework. It is your vehicle, do what you please.

Change filter and run regular oil for 3000 miles. Look for leaks and loss of oil.

Then decide to transition to synthetic.

Salim
from my research people say synthetic is better and lasts longer, so that's the reason i wanted to use it. i was going to use conventional as i slowly flushed out any possible sludge, but since synthetic costs the same i might as well use the synthetic. if there is no sludge maybe i don't need to rush to flush the engine.

Last edited by hsmac; 03-11-16 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 10:08 AM
river
Driver

Default Using flush for oil change

I bought rx300 2000 AWD with 199000 miles. I read somewhere it is sometime dangerous to use flush or seafoaming as it will release the plaque which might get stuck somewhere and stop oil flow (specially with old valve cover gasket).
Also what is your opinion going from conventional to synthetic high mileage oil?
Thanks for your help in advance
Old 05-09-16, 10:45 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Please lets leave this thread as DIY.

We can have choice of oil, frequency of oil and manufacturer of oil [never ending] discussions in so many of the other threads.

Salim

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change